Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Some thoughts on cruising before I go

I will leave Monday for a 10 day cruise from Marsh Harbor southward or maybe I'll bring my 28' sailboat back to Fort Lauderdale. Bringing her back would solve my cruising permit problem as I am 2 yrs into the 3 yr term and I do not see myself finishing before my 3 yrs is up whereas if I just go to FL I can reset my 3 yr period. The issue is that I am wondering if I will use this as an excuse to abandon my extended cruise of the islands and just bring her home to NW Florida. Sailing around NW FL for years got me bored which is why I am doing this extended "interrupted cruise".
I've found over the years that ones interests change and that at age 56 I am a bit less ready for adventure than i was was at an earlier age. I am one of those weirdos who actually loves his work (of course I work for myself) so getting away from "The Grind" is not a reason for me to cruise. Being a FL native, palm trees and beaches do not impress me. It's difficult to decide why cruising is interesting when it isn't a matter of getting away from work or getting away from cold weather. Cruising does provide interesting stories but nobody really wants to hear them.
Quite frankly, I do not know why I go cruising. You spend a lot of time being bored to death and a lot of time being terrified and a lot of time fixing your boat in really inconvenient places. Meeting odd people is one of the things I do like about cruising and most of em would not be allowed in any civilized venue. I suppose its like that line in the Neil Young song "Meet the losers in the best bars and the winners in the dives" because most of the interesting people are not on nice boats but are on "vessels not suited for what they are doing". If this trip gives me any insight into reasons for cruising, I'll post it when I get back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Some thoughts on cruising before I go

I guess I'm with you as one that finds cruising somewhat mundane. Not that I don't enjoy it, but it's pretty much all I know. We're not long distance or harsh endurance cruising, but we've been casual coastal cruising the US East Coast for forty years. I was excited to make it into Georgetown, SC yesterday just to make lunch menu at the Thomas Cafe. We'll be up to Maine for the summer,- stopping to see Milton Parks in Tangier on the way. Poking about in the best of weather. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook