Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012
Multihull Fanatic

SelkirkGrace is on a distinguished road
Re: Seatalk help needed badly

Did you ever solve this? Just so you know Raymarine calls ethernet "Seatalk." Yes, they have 10 and 100Mbps ethernet. The physcial layers are all standard ethernet (because it is cheap and works). So. how do they make it proprietary you ask? Simple, the headers are modified. The network uses unmanaged switches just like most home networks. So what do you have to do to get devices to communicate? Some of them may be Seatalk, others Seatalk II, others yet Seatalk hs. Begin to sound familiar? You need to use the appropriate crossover between two devices. If there are more than two devices you need a switch. What does the switch do? Exactly like the one at home it auto-senses the transmission rate and switches accordingly for each network line.
Need more info on what to use?
Raymarine Marine Electronics - SeaTalk HS Networking

I have used the converter box to allow introduction of NMEA data to the Raymarine system. Find that here:
https://raymarine.custhelp.com/app/a...w/seatalk%20II
I think there should be no mystery here except why didn't Raymarine tech support or your local installer help you with this?

In doing a little more research I found this post on another site:
"I have a DSM 300 connected to an E120 and all works fine. I'm using a standard 4-port switch rather than the extortionately priced Raymarine branded one. If you don't use a switch, then you need a cross-over cable or coupler. My switch is not IP rated, but then its in a protected location. The HS cables are indeed standard CAT5 (shielded variety) cables. The only thing I found was that I had to use Raymarine-specific cables (the shortest/cheapest I could get) for the connections at the DSM300 and E120 and then use ordinary CAT5S cables for the longer runs (connected to the Raymarine cables with standard CAT5S couplers). There is something odd about the sockets in the Raymarine units which means that a standard CAT5 plug doesn't seem to seat correctly; perhaps this is what you're finding?" JerryHawkins Quoted

"well everything works now and the 'trick' is to use Raymarine ethernet cables !
the "Screw in" end on the plotter and DSM300 doesnt make any contact with normal RJ45 cables, it does work with the proprietary Raymarine cable." ReneJK quoted

Last edited by SelkirkGrace; 05-08-2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012
Multihull Fanatic

SelkirkGrace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-sailer View Post
I suspect the older 2 are Seatalk and the new ST40 is Seatalk II and I'm not sure if they are backward compatible.

There is a switch for yet another $160 that is supposed to make this all work but I've spent enough on this bunch so that won't happen. I'll just set them up separately and not bother with the apparent wind.
Most switches ar3e autosensing and you can get them for a whoping $10 for a 5 port 10/100 switch. Autosensing detect which is the transmit and receive pair. The switch adjusts for different speed s such as 10/ or 100Mbps ethernet. The real sneaky trick is the non-standard Ethernet connectors that RayMarine uses. you apparently have to use a short length of their cable out/into their devices. You can then use regular shielded ethernet cables to the switch or for long runs.
Old 05-08-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'll just set them up separately and not bother with the apparent wind.
St 40 runs on sea talk not Seatalk 2
if you set up the ST40 seperatly you will only get apparent wind relative to the boat. Apparent wind is what you want for sailing. true wind relative to the boat does not mean much while sailing.

Last edited by overbored; 05-08-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-08-2012
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road

I suspect this is a firmware issue. ST40s aren't field updatable so its back to the factory for them
Old 05-08-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

I just wish I knew how to wire mine up. I got these with the boat I purchased back in December but they are all in a box not hooked up. Iam so fustrated with it I was thinking about selling it all. or hiring somone just to install the wires. Looks like all the transducers are mounted on the boat, well the speed paddle in lying in the foward builge. I was told that there was a plug in that thru-hull and the speed paddle was taken out when not being used to keep the groth off the wheels? Any here is a photo of the lot of them.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Your advise???
Old 05-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
I just wish I knew how to wire mine up. I got these with the boat I purchased back in December but they are all in a box not hooked up. Iam so fustrated with it I was thinking about selling it all. or hiring somone just to install the wires. Looks like all the transducers are mounted on the boat, well the speed paddle in lying in the foward builge. I was told that there was a plug in that thru-hull and the speed paddle was taken out when not being used to keep the groth off the wheels? Any here is a photo of the lot of them.

Your advise???
That's fairly old equipment by today's standards, but it may well work fine once hooked up and installed... replacing it all will run you between $1500-2000 I reckon. So it's worth a shot at seeing if they power up, and plugging the tranducers in to see if they respond. Does the mast have the vane and anemometer cups in place up top? If so there will be wires below for that too.

You can replace the plug with the paddlewheel sensor.. you'll ship a bit of water but it's a simple operation. Just be ready to make a swift swap, and try not to be alarmed at the amount of water that tries to get in. (you may have a flap to slow it down...)

It was good gear in its day, and doesn't look abused - could even have zero hours on it, I suppose. Worth checking out. Try online for manuals and diagrams. The first 'hit' in this search seems to be the PDF manual for what you've got:

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sclient...w=1696&bih=829

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-09-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2012
First String

There is an auto-compass on the boat a wind cup and vane, a depth gauge, a speed transducer and a st 4000 auto helm. My problem is the wiring? I donít understand any of it. I have all the books that came with the equipment. They look like they all string together with twist lock plugs. I just donít know how to hook up the first hot and ground wire to try the stuff out.
I have I have 3 wires coming from the mast
I have 2 coming from the front Bilge depth and speed.
I have 1 gyro-compass
I have 1 ST-4000
Where do they get there power from?
Old 05-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The twist lock plugs are easy... they can only go in one way, and should be labeled somehow as to who goes where. Power is likely part of the connector wiring itself, so it needs to go to the DC panel somewhere.

Was this stuff ever actually installed? if so it should be nearly 'plug and play'. Otherwise you may need some assistance.

You are in desperate need of a knowledgeable local sailling 'friend'.. preferably one with a generous disposition and some free time... Try to find another C&C 30 owner... best odds.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-09-2012
First String

All the transducer are mounted on the boat. All the leads have wires at the ends with no plugs. All the gauges have plugs on them. So You are right I think i will need some help.
Old 05-10-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Today I fixed this... it all works now.

The problem: A *&%$@ rogue plug...

I now have "T" and "A" wind.... woohoo..
Glad you got it working O-S.

From what you have posted, it sounds like you had it all connected correctly..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.