Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help what sail to raise 1st?

Ok, thank you, so far the main first seems to me to be the (Main Idea) True the FJ is so little it may not matter. I am starting to see why the insructor I had did the main first in his boat. It was not untill going over the books that I started to think on what order to use. Allen Brown's book said start aft you could have trouble if you start near the bow but did not say what kind of problem or why. Now I get it your main could jam and give you a hard time you will be out of the cockpit when you are doing this splashing around in the waves. I am looking at a yawl even more sails. This yawl is not going any place. It will be years before I act on yawl or other boat Decison. Right now the habits I learn in small boats will be the ones I will use in bigger boats or if I run into trouble I do what I have done in the past most of the time. If I am not thinking this out right or need to add more please do. Thanks for all the replys sailnet is a good tool to have! LOU
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Most of the introductory sailing classes and books assume that you are learning to sail on a small boat. I would re-think your plan of carrying forward what you learn now. Not that you shouldn't carry it forward, as 98% of the time that will work but you must be open to adjustment based on the type and size of boat that you are on, not to mention the conditions in which you are sailing. Another example is when you're told that your boat will tend to have weather helm. A few boats tend to favor lee helm based on their design.
Lou452 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-06-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Most any boat will tend to 'weathercock' upwind if the aft most sail is raised first.. this is much preferred to having a forward sail up alone that will, if filled or backwinded, wear the boat around and into a probable gybe while you're struggling to raise the aft sail second.

Trying to raise or lower a mainsail in any position other than head-to-wind will make it much harder as the partially raised sail will tend to plaster itself onto the spreaders and shrouds, adding drag and causing chafe, possibly catching and tearing a batten pocket as well.
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-06-2012

c25novi is on a distinguished road

Keel Down, Main Up, Leave mooring, Jib up.

Reverse steps for coming home.

Always in that order.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 05-06-2012

gpdno is on a distinguished road
Help what sail to raise 1st?

Depends on my mood. There is really no difference or no reason to do it one way or the other as long as you have a reason.
Leave how to heave to. Great thing to learn and very helpful. One on the many advantages it with the headsail back winded the main is covered.
So I'll motor out to the gulf until i get to the jetty. Shut down the motor and raise my headsail and sail out in the gulf. Once I'm out in the gulf, I'll backwind the headsail. It now easy to raise the main, flip the headsail and off I go.
When I come in I'll sail close to the jetty, heave to, drop and secure the mainsail and then sail in under headsail alone.
Heaving to is also great for reefing the main.

Of course, sometimes I'd the winds are light, I'll just raise it before I leave the dock and just motor out to the gulf with the main taught.
Old 05-06-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
As our boat is a ketch the mizzen is the first up, then jib and finally the main. They're furled in reverse order. With two sails jib first, then main. There is more control with the jib, making it safer to manage the wind. EG try docking with your main, rather than the jib.
Old 05-06-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

On a sloop, main first, then jib. Furling, it's jib first, then main. Others have outlined the reasons. Anyone who tells you different is telling you wrong. You only have to be at the mast with the genoa slapping you upside the head because you went jib first to realize why.
Learning on a small boat is fine, just remember, the bigger boat is...bigger. Bigger loads, more momentum - the basics apply, but may have to be adapted to the boat you are on.
In strong winds, it's possible (and often smarter) to furl the jib by hiding it behind the main so that there is no wind in it. Then turn into the wind to furl the main.

Wally Moran
CYA Basic Cruising Instructor
Delivery and Charter Captain
Old 05-06-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailorguy View Post
On a sloop, main first, then jib. Furling, it's jib first, then main.
Not sure why furling would make any difference.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-06-2012

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

My 15' boat only has oars, so I can't motor into the wind to raise the main. And in my O'Day Mariner or O'Day 22 it works just fine to raise the jib/genoa first (motor off) and sail close to the wind before raising the main as it luffs. What would you do if your motor quit with no sails up?

Last edited by SchwarckT; 05-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2012

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

In ASA 101, we were told main 1st, head sail 2nd, (eng running till sails set, if you have an eng), this keeps steerage, then headsail down 1st, main last, eng running. Anytime sails are up, you need board/keel down. My .02