SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Help what sail to raise 1st? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87060-help-what-sail-raise-1st.html)

Lou452 05-05-2012 11:45 PM

Help what sail to raise 1st?

What sail do you put up first The main ? I have been reading a book By Allen Brown: Invitation to sailing. on page 144 it is very clear to raise the main or the most aft sail first then raise the jib and lower them down in that order also main first jib 2nd I just took the local clubs into class enjoyed it. I am about to take ASA 101 Paid for it I hope it will be just as much fun. The Intro class used a book ( Learn Sailing Right! beginning sailing ) This is a US sailing book a new one copy right 2008 in chapter 4 page 16 raising sails "raise the jib first then the mainsail" Allen brown is very up tight about the main first. So lets have It Also let me ask keel down after you raise the sail or before? I have done it both ways? I have a few years trying it and I thought I had the order decided but now I may have to rethink it. Yes I know buy a boat with a fixed keel and no worries mate. Please answer the sail question 1st

Lou452 05-05-2012 11:52 PM

Re: Help what sail to raise 1st?

The Sunfish just has one sail for years I have not thought about how or why to do this or that or if it was right. The FJ has three sails and I have yet to see if it will float sail side up :-)

Faster 05-05-2012 11:53 PM

We always raise the main first, always have. With the rare exception when we'll roll out the jib only on a heavy downwind leg, it's main first.

Headsail only sailing is one of those debatable topics, but I like the balance of a properly reefed sailplan that meets conditions of the day. Trying to fly a spinnaker without a main makes dousing and retrieval much more difficult.

So for us it's Main up first, down last, and always head to wind for each.

... and board down first. You can experiment with board up positions when running, but otherwise down and locked if you can.

deniseO30 05-06-2012 12:01 AM

Main first. Deploying the jib or genoa won't let the boat turn point into the wind as easily and will make the main really difficult to raise because the of the wind loads on the track. it's near impossible to raise or drop a main that is not luffing. Even with the engine, the main needs to luff. . Keel up or down but to raise the main it needs to luff. (luffing= flutter, not have wind hitting sideways, or no wind) exception may be smaller boats since they don't need muscle or mechanical advantage.
Just my opinion..

Lou452 05-06-2012 12:13 AM

Thank you both for the fast replys

jackdale 05-06-2012 12:13 AM

Main first, for all the reasons advanced above.

celenoglu 05-06-2012 12:36 AM

The original idea is to raise the most aft sail first. If yo have a ketch or a yawl raising the mzzen sail keepsthe boat to thewind and you will be able to raise the others. Keep the mizzen tight, leave others free andthe boat will be headng the wind.

On a sloop this does not matter, you keep the head to wind with the engine.

SchwarckT 05-06-2012 07:42 AM

After clearing the dock, my usual procedure is to: shut down the engine, raise the jib, come up on a close reach, raise the main, go sailing. I always drop the board/keel before raising sails.

smurphny 05-06-2012 07:53 AM

Whatever else anyone may tell you.....MAIN FIRST.

sevseasail 05-06-2012 08:01 AM

As it was mentioned above, if it's a very small boat, or there's no wind, I don't think it matters that much, but, on a larger boat and or with some wind the Main sail needs to be up first (engine running or not) and then the Jib; the Main will be the last sail to come down.
Board down before raising sails.