Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012

GCASKEW is on a distinguished road
First sailboat with plans for a cat in 4 years

Hello,

New to the site and sailing as well. Wife and I want to get a smallish sailboat to learn with on lake Lanier and the keys and ICW with plans on moving up to a larger monohull or small cat like the Gemini in 4 years
So the question is...
Buy a cheaper entry boat like an Osprey, Cat, hunter now or wait till next summer and get a Mac 26 with a big motor to get me out off trouble our inexperience gets us into? Boat has to be trailerable.

Both of us take our 101 class in a few weeks, duo we are Really new to sailing...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2012

Greenflash35 is on a distinguished road
Re: First sailboat with plans for a cat in 4 years

i think a small light weight boat is best to learn on. it's easier to fill the wind and all.
Old 05-06-2012

lowtide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCASKEW View Post
Hello,

New to the site and sailing as well. Wife and I want to get a smallish sailboat to learn with on lake Lanier and the keys and ICW with plans on moving up to a larger monohull or small cat like the Gemini in 4 years
So the question is...
Buy a cheaper entry boat like an Osprey, Cat, hunter now or wait till next summer and get a Mac 26 with a big motor to get me out off trouble our inexperience gets us into? Boat has to be trailerable.

Both of us take our 101 class in a few weeks, duo we are Really new to sailing...
Thanks
That is what the wife and I did.

I had sailing experience but it had been many years, the wife had none.

We bought a 25 footer on Lake Guntersville ( a couple hours from Lanier). It is trailerable, and has a swing keel.

We started out with day sails, then overnights, then extended cruises.

The swing keel was very forgiving on the lake, and a less expensive used boat allowed us to be more brave and sharpened the learning curve.

We have since moved up to a bluewater boat with confidence, and the 25 provided an inexpensive learning experience. The other nice thing about the inexpensive used boat is that she is for sale, and due to the drop in boat prices will sell for a lot less than we paid for her, but the overall cost of ownership was still very cheap.

The dollars/fun/experience ratio would be hard to match in any hobby.

You are on the right track, and your timing is good, as this is a buyer's market.
Old 05-06-2012

twenty1knots is on a distinguished road

I started sailing on a '86 Starwind 190 (19 foot). It was a swing keel and very forgiving. Pleasure to learn and eventually figure things on your own. Lake Lanier water level fluctuates throughout the year (being the lowest in summer) so a swing keel is preferable. Good luck and have fun.