Is this SAFE? - Propane tank - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 05-06-2012
Closet Powerboater

Re: Is this SAFE? - Propane tank

Looks great. My next door neighbor did something similar. A 20lb steel propane cylinder fits perfectly in a milk crate. Same idea but yours looks better.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 05-06-2012

What kind of alcohol stove did you have? When I bought my Tartan 30 I looked into putting in a propane stove and ran into the same issues you have. I decided to "put up" with the PO's Origo for a season and have had very good results with it. Five years later I would not go to propane on a bet.

I don't have an oven so I can't speak to that, but the stove top is simple and more than adaquate.
post #13 of 32 Old 05-06-2012 Thread Starter
Future liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
What kind of alcohol stove did you have? When I bought my Tartan 30 I looked into putting in a propane stove and ran into the same issues you have. I decided to "put up" with the PO's Origo for a season and have had very good results with it. Five years later I would not go to propane on a bet.

I don't have an oven so I can't speak to that, but the stove top is simple and more than adaquate.
It's a pressurized Shipmate stove and oven. We've used it quite a bit, but it's always tricky and a hassle. We cruised 84 days one summer and it was 'ok', but only just. The burners were strange, and would start to burn out after being on a while. The oven was useless, big hotspot in the middle and not very hot all around. Pumping the tank before each use, then burning a primer cup of fuel, then lighting the hopefully gaseous fuel got old too.

I hear you though. We made the decision and expenditure because we're going to be living/cruising on it soon. We hope to visit many countries and have heard that the alcohol is hard to find and very expensive outside of the US.

So, we're looking forward to easy bleary eyed coffee prep in the mornings and a satisfactory baked pizza here and there. The Seaward range we bought is a beautiful thing... we've tested it in the garage. We'll see how it goes.
post #14 of 32 Old 05-06-2012 Thread Starter
Future liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Looks great. My next door neighbor did something similar. A 20lb steel propane cylinder fits perfectly in a milk crate. Same idea but yours looks better.
Thanks MedSailor, I appreciate the encouragement!
post #15 of 32 Old 05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldColumbia View Post
I'd suggest moving the installation inboard of the pulpit and attaching to a stanchion, possibly resting on the gunwale for stability. Mr. Murphy loves anything that can be hit by another vessel, a dock, or some one backing down near your boat. Kinda like transom hung self steering vanes, dinghies on davits, etc.
Agree.

Dick
post #16 of 32 Old 05-07-2012

I moved my manual electronic propane cut-off switch from behind the stove to a more convenient, yet out of the way spot in the companion way.
I figured if I were to have a fire it will more than likely happen at the stove, my only propane appliance.
So in the event of a fire, as I am flying out the companion way toward the tanks main manual valve I can buy myself a few seconds by hitting the solinoid switch while on my way to the tank at the back of the boat.
I also mounted a fire extinguisher in the propane tanks locker so I can fight my way back into the boat and put the fire out.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-07-2012 Thread Starter
Future liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
Originally Posted by OldColumbia
I'd suggest moving the installation inboard of the pulpit and attaching to a stanchion, possibly resting on the gunwale for stability. Mr. Murphy loves anything that can be hit by another vessel, a dock, or some one backing down near your boat. Kinda like transom hung self steering vanes, dinghies on davits, etc.

Agree. Dick
Thanks. I like the idea of it out of harm's way. But what about it being essentially in the cockpit then? Wouldn't that have too many potential entryways to the interior? Lockers, pedestal's mount, etc?
post #18 of 32 Old 05-07-2012
Just another Moderator

On a previous boat we did something similar, made SS tubing 'hoops' that the tanks dropped into at the aft end of the cockpit (attached to the pushpit post). In our case a reverse transom protected them from possibly being 'knocked off' or collided with. Worked well for a lot of years.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #19 of 32 Old 05-07-2012

Propane tanks which have a bleed screw on the valve, make it far easier to pour propane from one tank to another.
Just hook them up , put the full one on top, upside down, and the empty one on the bottom , open the valves, then open the bleed screw, until liquid starts to squirt out the bleed screw. Then the bottom one is full.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
post #20 of 32 Old 05-07-2012

I found this when considering a rail mount. I have seen it, but decided to go a different route. It is very sturdy and low profile, might be worth a look for you. I have no affiliation with the product or vendor.

Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment
inshallamiami likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.