Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: To trail it or second job to pay slip fee?

If you go the trailer sailing route consider the tow vehicle capacity against the weight of the boat, trailer, motor and gear. We kept a Hunter 25 on a mooring on the ICW in Brevard county for 7 years and two hurricanes. Really had no problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

I think this may be a personality thing. I know lots of folks who trailer boats routinely, but I don't like it and I think this is at least partially because I'm impatient. Towing is nerve wracking to me and launching has its own foibles. I used to have a trailerable sailboat and launched it each time I used it. I stored it on the trailer at the marina and towed it to the ramp each time I wanted to use it. Even that close, I thought it was a pain. On beautiful days, there was a line at the ramp and lots of folks there to "help" often turning out to be the opposite of help; they just wanted me to launch so they could get their turn. If the tide was low, launching was harder and the little truck I used wasn't really up to the task. I ultimately found another marina nearby that had "dry sail" storage. The boat was kept on the trailer, fully rigged and each time I wanted to use it, the marina would put it int he water using a forklift (big forklift). I'd call them while I was on my way and it would be in the water, waiting when I arrived. To me this was the cat's meow. No bottom paint, safe in a storm and yet in the water when I arrived to head out. It was also cheaper than a slip.
Old 05-07-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

We have a marina on the lake that offers that service. They have a HUGE warehouse....I mean really big....3 levels of boats on racks. They can handle up to 6 tons.

You just call about an hour before you get there. They'll use the biggest fork lift I've ever seen, launch your boat and fill it with gas. When you arrive, it's tied to the dock ready to go.

When you're done for the day, just tie up to the dock and go home. They'll remove the boat and put it back in the warehouse.

Now, I don't know how much this costs, but they're probably 80% full and it's a very popular service. Pretty cool I think.

BTW - It's all power boats (runabouts and cabin cruisers)....I didn't see any sailboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-07-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
They have a HUGE warehouse....I mean really big....3 levels of boats on racks. They can handle up to 6 tons...

BTW - It's all power boats (runabouts and cabin cruisers)....I didn't see any sailboats.
Might be because the rigging/derigging of the mast keeps from storing 3 levels of boats INSIDE a warehouse. Dry storage inside means rigging and derigging your mast. This is just my opinion but if that has to be done each time, you might as well haul it to the marina yourself and the heck with the fee or any storage!

But a fully rigged dry dock location IS a solution between slip and all trailer. Just bring your tow rig, hook up, back in, park, and go. Reverse process when done.

If it's it not a terribly busy ramp it'd likely take 15 minutes on each end of the trip. Tolerable time in my opinion to save a few $$.
Old 05-07-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I tried sailing off a trailer for 2 years and wasn't happy with it. For me, it was a lot of looking at my boat in the back yard while nice days went by. Too long to launch and rig, so putting in for one day wasn't worth the effort. Putting in for longer means having dock space (or similar) for a night or two. Either make a reservation (that ensures a weekend of rain) or not (to ensure a weekend of sun and light to moderate winds).

I was not able to find a dry slip in my area for either lakes or ocean; I think that would have made a big difference. Although I also had some issues with the keelboat (2' draft - 1500#) and the ramp depth but that could have been dealt with if I'd kept at it.

I rented a mooring for this coming season and then accidentally sold my trailer boat and bought a fixed keel Catalina 25 (I think I punched the wrong number on the keypad). So I've traded my trailer worries for a different set of worries.

There are no wrong answers,

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2012

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road

Thx again all for all the input. My wife and I have been power boating since childhood with fishing family's. These days we really wanna start to sail. Looking to start small and really learn the ropes for a few years until were ready for a big boat to starting spending some real time exploring the Bahamas and the east coast. The most we'll be doing is 1-2 nights on the water and then back to work etc.,for now. I'd really dislike paying over almost 2000 a year for a $2000+ learning boat. It looks like well be doing the trailer thing until i'm lucky enough to find a private dock or the right price for dry slips. So many cat 22's, small macs etc. for sale here in south Fl. and since it is not going to be "the boat" I guess we would rather have the easiest trailersailor. Guess I should start a new topic
Old 05-07-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road

I've had boats in pens, boats on the hard and a trailerable yacht.

Boats in pens are limited to sailing local waters.

Boats on the hard generally sail on local waters.

The current trailerable sails anywhere I wish to drive. My best local lake is 300km away, I have a Bay at my doorstep and I regularly tow 2500km to the Whitsundays or any of the places in between.

A larger boat in a pen is more comfortable but nothing beats sailing exotic waters on the coast.

Join a suitable trailerable club for support buy a modest boat and have fun.

We motel it or pull into a resort if the boat is getting a bit small on a long holiday.
Old 05-07-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortnsalty View Post
To trail it or second job to pay slip fee?
Neither. You may NOT like what I said. If it were my kids in question that is what I going to tell them. As always, my kids are smart enough to follow their old man's advice.

1. Find another job, make the extra money and save 100% of it, or go to school and prepare for a better career.
2. Sail someone's boat. There are opportunity everywhere you look. You will have just as much as fun even being a deck hand or serve as a slave on board. You don't need to be called the mighty "Captain" to be happy on the water. Unless I am retired and can commit 100% on the boat, I would not want to buy my own boat.
3. Use your money wisely. Liquid asset is best.

I am sure many here will be pissed. But hey I am not the Lapdog.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-07-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

4. Quit your job and persue your dream of cruising fulltime...

Anchor out and gunk hole and you won't need a slip, trailer or mooring ball..
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 05-07-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
4. Quit your job and persue your dream of cruising fulltime...

Anchor out and gunk hole and you won't need a slip, trailer or mooring ball..
I have to admit I didn't have the gut.

When I was a young man driving a taxicab in the Big Apple in the summer. I always admired the Drunks in Bowery. They were so happy and care free. If you give them a dollar they are so overjoyed and if you don't give them anything, they were just as happy. And they never hurt or mean to anyone. I envied their lifestyle. But I had the responsibility to my parents to support them and brothers and sisters to take care of and guide them through. It was hard, but if I have to do it again, I would in a heart beat.

If you have the means to retire and sail the seven seas. Hell why not. Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.