Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road
Re: To trail it or second job to pay slip fee?

i would call all the clubs in your area .
i have a trailer sailer , the yearly club fee is very reasonable and it costs me
20 bucks a month to keep my boat on a trailer there .

the mast stays up , i pull the boat out of its parking spot to the ramp 100 ft away .
the ramp is for club use only so no waiting 99% of the time

they have races i just went and got to help out on someone elses boat , the guy taught me a lot

they normally have some kind of get togther once a month at the club and my wife and i have gone there on a friday night and had some gumbo we brought with us while watching the sun go down .

Last edited by Southron Spirit; 05-07-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Unless I am retired and can commit 100% on the boat, I would not want to buy my own boat.
Huh?

I think 97% of the boat owners on the planet disagree with you on that one.
snider likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-07-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Huh?

I think 97% of the boat owners on the planet disagree with you on that one.
You are being kind. I think 99.9 % will disagree with me. It is their money, they can use how ever they want. For me, it is a business decision, plain and simple. The idea of I like it , I love it, I need it, I want it and I want it NOW does not appeal well for me and is against my up bringing. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of my own toys to play with. But boat can wait for now.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-08-2012

snider is on a distinguished road

I've trailer sailed boats, had boats anchored out and had a slip for a couple of years. All have worked well because it fit my need at the time. I will say we used the boat a lot more when we had a slip, sometimes going out 2 or 3 times a week. It also depends on the size of the boat. If you get something 19 or smaller it really isn't so bad to trailer sail it, however when it's 100 degrees out it can be discouraging. If the boat is at the marina it's easy to hop onboard and go out for a swim. I don't mind paying dockage during the 10 month sailing season, but December/January, it's tough. We still sail those months but not more than once every other week or so. Maybe once a month. If we pay yearly we get a better deal. It really puts it into perspective when you write someone a check for $2,500 for your boat you only paid $2,900 for. We have a 22 footer now and I'm in the process of building a set-up where I can raise the mast alone with a winch. I think we'll get a slip for the month here and there but mostly just put it in for a few days at a time either at anchor or as a transient. Once we get in a little better finical shape we'll definitely get a year round slip again.