Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
getting back on the boat.

Say you fall off the boat or you go for a swim without lowering your ladder first. How do you get back on the boat assuming no one else on board. I have seen a boat with a web step ladder in a pouch on the life line. Can't find on line anywhere though. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012

billsull is on a distinguished road
getting back on the boat.

Check out the Plastmo ladder. Landfall Nav sells it (and others):

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sp29009.html
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: getting back on the boat.

There is no substitute for a good "fixed" ladder (except maybe an open transom type boat). I've not found the rope ladders easy to climb. Whatever you use, make sure to "try it" at least once. When the water is cold, and boat is bouncing in waves (which is likely) when you "need" it, it'll be hard if not impossible to use. I mean ANYTHING is better than nothing, but your life (or your crews life) could depend on how "easy" it is to get back aboard in an emergency.

I believe I posted elsewhere, but it's the reason I don't run my stern lifeline through my ladder like SOME do... I use a VERY light bungee (to keep the ladder from dragging in the water). The thinking is (and I've tested this) if I am in the water, I can grab the ladder from the water, and yank it down, pulling the bungee off. I actually have a confirmed rescue while under way (with no motor) of an older couple who were trapped (in warm calm water) because they did not have the upper body strength to get out of the water using a rope ladder. They quickly both climbed out of the water on MY ladder, then we sailed around to their boat, and got them back.

I've used the rope ladders of all kinds and they seem to push so far under the boat that they're almost unusable without lots of upper body strength.
Faster and rikhall like this.
Old 05-07-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I've used the rope ladders of all kinds and they seem to push so far under the boat that they're almost unusable without lots of upper body strength.
... and add waves and motion to that and you're really in a pickle.

Figuring out some way to 'deploy' a ladder from the water makes a lot of sense. I suspect few boats are set up that way.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-07-2012
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald

I have a line on my stern ladder that can be reached from the water so the ladder can be deployed form the water.
sidney777, Faster, rikhall and 2 others like this.
Old 05-07-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

I have a somewhat loose slipknot that ties my ladder up. The bitter end of the line is within reach if you're in the water. A simple tug and the ladder comes down.

I check this knot every time I go out, usually by pulling it and re-tying it.
Faster likes this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I agree with what's been said about rigid and rope ladders. Last summer I bought a nice (expensive) Yates rock climbing/rescue rope ladder and mounted it permanently so that it could be deployed from the water.

My wife is a triathalete and I'm a rock climber and it was surprisingly hard to use! It tended to try and go under the boat and took an immense amount of strength and skill to use.

Not good enough I decided and thanks to the kindness of another sailnetter who mailed me his old boarding ladder I now have a shiny new stainless ladder that I'll be mounting soon.

For a decent compromise and a good "emergency ladder" I also have used this one before: It's rungs are rigid and it has PVC to keep them separated. It's still much harder to use than a true rigid ladder but it's not a bad compromise especially for $35. It also folds up into it's own small, rail-mounted bag that has a velcro bottom. You attach a line to the bottom, pull from the water and it deploys.

Gander Mountain® > Sea Dog Emergency Boarding Ladder 5-Step - Boating > Mooring & Dock > Dock Ladders :

I keep this one on my rail as a backup to my rigid ladder since you can NOT get back aboard my boat if the primary fails. Paranoid you say??? Well 2 summers ago 2 of the 3 rungs of my plastic rigid ladder (the kinds with the hoops that you place over the gunwale) broke while trying to board because the sun had weakened the plastic. One more rung and it would have broken in half. We were lucky to get aboard using it and I was very happy to have the spare on the rail that day!

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 05-08-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have done this and lived to tell about it, because it wasn't all that dangerous in my situation. Think I've posted it here before. Dove off the boat to swim over to see friends on the next mooring to see what they were doing for dinner. Quickly realized, I didn't put the ladder down and the engine was still running to charge batts. Dummy.

Wife was off snorkeling with the inflatable and came back to find me drinking beer on our friend's boat with our engine running. I hear her tell the story about twice a year.

I like the ladder with the slip knot idea. I've often thought that those climbing ropes we had in grade school would work in life or death. The two inch rope with a big knot every couple of feet. Still, it would have to be deployable

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

This may apply exclusively to boats with a walk-through transom, but it's important for those who have it. Note the line I attached to the latch mechanism which loops down to the water line. If I fall into the water I can pull on the line to release the latch. Once on the boat, it is used to pull the ladder up out of the water. I test this a few dozen times every winter while on the hard, since it's the easiest way to get the ladder down from ground level:

Curiously, most boats that I see with walk-though transoms do not have something like this rigged.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-08-2012
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation

Day Sailor when I was a kid who spent summers on the Bohemia River at Hacks Point on the Chesapeake Bay. We didn't have money for gas so we sailed.