Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012

catamount is on a distinguished road
Re: Closing seacocks

I leave almost all my seacocks closed all the time unless I am actively using them, with the exception being the cockpit drains. Bilge pump drains are above the waterline (not at the waterline), and do not have seacocks.

Turn the engine on? open the seacock! Turn the engine off? close the seacock!

Need to use the head? open the seacock! Done flushing? close the seacock!

Washing the dishes? open the seacock! Putting clean dishes away? close the seacock!

One key is making the seacocks easily accessible. The second is to just make it a habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

One of our old boats SANK under her new ownership. They had replaced the head intake hose about 5 years after we sold it to them and then proceeded to leave the thru-hull open, actually all thru-hulls, all the time. This, after I specifically went over the in-depth modifications I had made to the boat, in terms of seacock access, to make CLOSING them a 45 second job....

The intake "barb" on the Raritan PH heads has NO BARBS. GREAT HEAD, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID DESIGN FLAW!!!!!!!!!!

The new owners used a typical CHEAP perforated hose clamp and only ONE fits well on that inlet barb due to it's short length. The hose HAD a nice non-perforated AWAB clamp on it but they clearly threw it away in favor of a crap quality "new one"....

We then had a Nor' Easter and it was decided during the insurance investigation that the wave action, and resulting hydraulic pressure, from the boat slamming down off waves, over many hours, forced the hose off the barb-less male adapter on the head. The 3/4" line then fell to the floor and began filling the boat.

When they re-floated her they found the open seacock and the hose with clamp still around it.

Insurance company initially tried to deny coverage due to only one hose clamp in use and the sea valve not sufficiently "secured". They fought it based on the fact that you can't effectively fit two clamps on that barb and that in the "static" position the head inlet was "technically" very slightly above the waterline. They argued "unforeseen circumstances" and the insurance company begrudgingly paid but later dropped them as a client.....

That taught me a good lesson that if your boat sinks, and the seacock was involved, the insurance company may try to deny coverage and they may actually be successful or at the least drop you. Stuff happens....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-10-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

I closed all primary seacocks only when I leave the sailboat for a few days or so. (Engine intake, head, sinks, etc..). I am not concern with the seacock as much as a hose or clamp. My bilge pumps wouldn't have chance.
Early last year the Marina moved our previous sailboat, Pearson 35 and never open the engine seacock, and burned up the impeller. They indicated that everyone in the slips leaves their engine intake seacocks open. They made me think that I was paranoid... but I still closed them.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 05-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone explain why the cockpit drains need to exit the boat below water line. Seems these could route either out the side of the hull or through the stern and exit just above the water line. That would eliminate two big seacocks. Maybe sailing they would be below water but at anchor/dock they would be above.
Old 05-10-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Can anyone explain why the cockpit drains need to exit the boat below water line. Seems these could route either out the side of the hull or through the stern and exit just above the water line. That would eliminate two big seacocks. Maybe sailing they would be below water but at anchor/dock they would be above.
Huh? Mine are above the waterline. Not much, but they are.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
I closed all primary seacocks only when I leave the sailboat for a few days or so. (Engine intake, head, sinks, etc..). I am not concern with the seacock as much as a hose or clamp. My bilge pumps wouldn't have chance.
Early last year the Marina moved our previous sailboat, Pearson 35 and never open the engine seacock, and burned up the impeller. They indicated that everyone in the slips leaves their engine intake seacocks open. They made me think that I was paranoid... but I still closed them.
Same story from my marina, which is why I decided to ask this question. Although, they've tried to claim that the unique approach is why they would be so aware of it. While I'm admittedly surprised by how many leave their seacocks open, it certainly isn't everyone here or at all statistically possible that is the case in either of our marinas.

What I've further considered since starting this whole analysis, is their story itself. I've begun thinking that I've only had them work on my engine exactly ONCE, while in the water, and that was a year earlier. Everything else has been done over winters on the hard.

Their story stinks. They ran my motor with the seacock closed. I'm becoming more and more convinced every day.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-10-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Huh? Mine are above the waterline. Not much, but they are.
I believe many cockpit drain seacocks are well below the waterline. Mine are and would like to route to above waterline.
Old 05-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Can anyone explain why the cockpit drains need to exit the boat below water line.....
So they can make that gurgling noise as they are just exposed to a slight heel and make you believe you have an enormous hull breach. Keeps you awake.
copacabana likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-10-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My Marina, will not start engines on vessels unless they have been issued a work order to commission the engine. They gondolier boats to and from the slip otherwise. They are quite good at it.

I imagine that they've heard the, " It was working fine when I left it" line enough times that they have taken this approach.

Last edited by Tempest; 05-10-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I would have told them to go screw themselves. THat's insane. That may be the largest intake in your boat! If that blows, I seriously doubt any cmobination of bilge pumps would keep up.

The simple habit and rule (to tell you marina) is to put the kys to start the engine on the Thull for the engine intake. No excuses then. Seems to me the extra couple minutes to find and open the THULL is a lot cheaper and less involved than raising a sunken boat. Course, maybe they don't make as much money that way??

I have been in more marinas than I can count and I have never in my life had one tell me to keep my Thull open. Wow.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.