Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Closing seacocks

I cut the handle on my seacock and welded it back on at a 45 degree angle. That let me put a push -pull rod on it to make it easier to reach. Works well.
Old 05-10-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

My boat has six thru-hulls below the waterline:
Engine intake
Cooling water for reefer (always closed, as don't use the chiller)
Galley sink drain
Head intake
Holding tank discharge (closed unless tank is actually being pumped at sea)
Head sink drain (almost never opened; I'm thinking of tearing the sink out anyway)

So, only three of the above get used on a regular basis.

Last thing I do before leaving the boat is to make sure all the seacocks/ball-valves are closed, the master battery switch is open, the companionway is locked, the halyards won't slappity-slap on the mast, and the docklines are secured. I then open the boat back up to look for the car keys I left in their designated cup-hook under the bridgedeck, and recheck everything (sigh....).
Alden68 likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
20 seacocks seems extreme. I have one for the sink drain, which I rarely close, and one for the watermaker, which is closed most of the time. I have two seacocks, total.
I suggest you try think of ways to eliminate most of those seacocks.
Standpipes can reduce the need to close some.
I suppose, but see post #47. The 20 count was just the original "off the top of my head" estimate. There are actually 26!.....wow, with about another half dozen thru hulls without seacocks.

I could theoretically combine some, as they are all essentially in 6 distinct locations. There are four separate heads aboard (one is a dedicated shower with no toilet) plus the galley. To those five locations, you add the floorboard next to the engine and those are my 6 stops to open/close. I'm serious when I say, its a 2 minute operation. Each head has a sink drain and floor sump, which could theoretically be combined. I suppose the dishwasher drain could be combined with the galley sink, etc.

However, it wouldn't really make that much of a difference, there will be a ton of holes in the boat, no matter what. Maybe I could realistically get it down to 16 or 18? I can't combine intakes with drains (there are five sinks, three toilets, three airconditioning units, two motors, alone). I would still be visiting each of these locations to close the combined seacock, so why not flip a few levers instead? It takes no additional time. The upside to the current configuration is that I can close off single systems to work on them, without taking others offline.

If I was doing it from scratch, I would seriously consider some combining. I'm the boat's second owner. However, I have a ton of priorities and wish list items in my maintenance log, like AIS, which I would do long before hauling, combining thru hulls and patching over old ones.

I will continue to close most when we leave for more than a day, regardless of how many I have. It's good for the ball valve anyway. It also forces me to check on leaks or valve issues, which I think I would notice before many who never touch them.

Thanks for the discussion. It has been fascinating how many different practices there are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
My feelings exactly. I've owned this boat for 13 years and other than the engine intake, I don't close any of them ever.......
Just for clarification, CruisingDad, does close his thru hulls when he leaves his boat for extended periods. He was referring to whether one would put a dowel into the barb of a closed seacock that had no hose attached.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-11-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Just for clarification, CruisingDad, does close his thru hulls when he leaves his boat for extended periods. He was referring to whether one would put a dowel into the barb of a closed seacock that had no hose attached.
Correct. I do not close them when cruising or LA (except engine and generator). When cruising the generator does not generally get closed and the main only if not being used for a while.

My biggest issues are the sink drain and the Main engine intake. Reality is that any of the thulls could sink the boat, but the sink drain (on the 400's) and the Main engine are very large Thulls and would swamp her quickly.

WHen cruising, we really have no great choice on the sink drain. It is always open. Those that open and close for every use, I wonder if you are F/T cruisers and or LA with kids? THat would get really old.

The engine is a bit of a different story. Honestly, for me, it is an issue of years of doing it and losing our key to the main once! Yes, it is true. I blame the kids (but, shhh, it was probably me on a dink ride... I mean, yeah, it was the kids or wife.). SO we long ago got in the habit of puting the key on the Thull for the main. Helps to remember where the key is and is also a bit of insurance.

Thulls that are close to waterline or above I don't worry about as much. It is the ones on the bottom of the boat that can shoot water up like a garden hose. ANything above the waterline I couldn't care less about. Exeption is when sailing we close them (like the head sink(s), because you can fill it up with water on the C400 on a good heel with some nice seas).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-11-2012

tspooner is on a distinguished road

I close them all four of them if I'm leaving the boat for more than a few hours while at dock and also when we depart the dock except for the salt water engine intake. That one get closed as soon as the sails go up. If the head needs to be used while underway it's relatively easy to open and reclose them since they're handy inside the vanity.
Old 05-11-2012

catamount is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Those that open and close for every use, I wonder if you are F/T cruisers and or LA with kids?
That would be me (open/close every use), and no I am not a full-time cruiser or live aboard.

And my boat is also very simple -- manual head, manually-pumped water, one engine, no generator, no air conditioning, no wash-down, etc....

Head: one seacock for the raw water intake which also serves as drain for the sink; one seacock for draining the holding tank (which we only open when offshore).

Galley: one seacock for draining the sink, one seacock for sea water intake (manual pump at galley sink).

Engine: one seacock for raw water cooling, one stuffing box for propellor shaft.

two seacocks for cockpit drains, left open.

two below-water thru-hulls for depth sounder and speedo paddlewheel

above water thru-hulls for engine exhaust, multiple bilge pumps, and additional cockpit drains.

The rudder shaft enters the hull above the normal waterline and is contained in a solid "stand-pipe" to deck level.

As long as the seacocks are easily accessible, it's not really a big deal to use them as the primary on/off valves for the manual plumbing systems.

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 05-11-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

I've only got 2 thru-hulls.....the head fresh water intake and the galley sink/cooler drain. I keep both closed unless in use. I'll open both seacocks when I get to the boat, pump some fresh water into the head. When I'm done for the day, or weekend...I'll close both seacocks when I leave the boat.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-11-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

If you would stop eating in that Mexican restaurant and drinking that Mexican water, perhaps you wouldn't need three toilets.
My composter eliminates any thru hulls dealing with the heads. My skeg cooling eliminates the engine intake. That leaves just the sink drain and the watermaker intake
Old 05-12-2012

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

Just did the orientation on the boat today. Been thinking about this topic.

On previous boats, I always closed seacocks, if I was going to be away more than hours.

No more.

No key needed to start the auxilary.

So, everythings going to be double clamped. and tightened.

Seacocks going to stay open thoughout the season.

Insurance, dude.