Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: How long does to sail to the Uk from Florida?

Oh, and another thought. A Delivery Captain and crew will want a lot of saftey gear (liferaft , EPRIB, and maybe SSB and /or sat phone to say the least). They will want that boat in tip top shape to make that run, from sails to standing rigging. Again, DOckwise may be the most reasonable way to go.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Hi guys, thank you for your messages.
I would be looking at October at the earliest I think anyway.

At this point it is fleeting curiosity, the thought occurs that at the prices for pro delivery or cargo ship delivery..

A better option would be to get my yacht masters between now and then, and get some experience as crew for others and sail back myself.
Old 05-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Deck cargo on otherwise standard freighters and bulk carriers may be another, possibly less expensive option, the disadvantage is that they may not be the 'experts' in yacht handling, cradling and support that the Dockwise folks are.

Friends of our moved their Passport 40 from Mexico to Vancouver BC with them (dockwise).. it all worked out quite well, I believe under $20K. They had sailed the trip down, and had no interest in coming back the 'hard way'. Some careful research may well find that the overall costs (ie shipping vs deliver skipper, considering wear/tear/etc) not so very different.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-09-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

As other have said the trip will put a lot of wear and tear on the boat. And that means more money needed to fix things when you get her home. Also, how much will insurance cost for the delivery (assuming you want to insure)? And before you leave, you will probably need to spend some serious money prepping the boat for you trip.

Be sure to add and compare all cost with you various options.
Good Luck
Old 05-09-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Hello David.

I received your request for a quote via Anglo Pacific.

Below are details on shipping this boat:
∑ Ocean freight from the east coast USA to Southampton if I use the dims of 11.41 x 3.76 x 3.65 Ė about $8675.00
∑ Mast shipped separately at about $860.00
∑ Cradle for the boat - $3500.00
∑ Boat must be loaded on MAFI at the dock at the discretion of the terminal operator. If they have to use a crane, estimate $2,600.00. If they can u se a forklift, estimate $900.00.
∑ Figure on another crane/forklift fee to marry the boat to the cradle.

That is a basic estimate based on the info provided. If I can answer any other questions, please let me know. See attached.

Regards,

Bart Goedhard
Schumacher Cargo Logistics, Inc.
LOS ANGELES - HOUSTON - MIAMI - SAVANNAH - NEW YORK
550 W 135th St, Gardena, CA 90248 - USA
Tel: 562 408-6677 ex 254
bart@sclusa.com - International Car Shipping | Auto Transport Company | Schumacher Cargo Tracking https://tracking.sclusa.com/
The above is a quick quote I got from the top hit on google.
Old 05-09-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I don't know the routes, or weather, but would it be cheaper for him to sail the boat up the coast himself (in good weather windows), then hire a captain to go with him across the north atlantic?

Or better yet, buy a boat in the UK?
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

That is 15k without the cost of taking down the mast (and all the prep) and re-stepping. On DOck wise, you will only sail it onto the ship. THey take care of the rest (well, you should pull down your sails and bimini, but not much moer). No rigger costs or cranes or delivery from there.

Have you tried Dockwise? And more importantly, do you love this boat that much that you coulkd not find one in the UK and save 20 grand?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012
is Awesome!

Hi Guys, I have not yet found one for sale in the UK

after many hours of searching the internet for different boats the Pearson 37 looked to be cracking little boat. It will be used as a full time liveaboard, kept on a river over the summer months to be close to family and then sail down to spend the winters in the south of France, Spain, Italy, Greece etc...

I have found what looks to be a very clean example for $60k (approx £37k) and that seems to be a great boat for the money. I guess this is me still doing home-work/feasibility study...

because now $65k is looking like it will be nearer $85 whichever way I go. Apart from if I sailed her back myself.

The other boat I was quite keen is a Hunter Passage 42, but again I have not found one for sale in the UK, but even those for sale in the US are for sale at significantly more than the Pearson.

Haven't looked at Dockwise yet, but will have a nosey shortly.
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Unless you are a very experienced sailor, IMHO, I would not ever attempt to cross the Atlantic. That is my opinion.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Unless you are a very experienced sailor, IMHO, I would not ever attempt to cross the Atlantic. That is my opinion.

Brian
Whilst this thread has grown an idea has developed too, I realised that either employing a professional skip or getting the post shipped with dockwise or anybody else is going to cost... well, lots! And it may actually be wiser to put a chunk of that and invest it in myself instead, on training and experience in order that I would be able to sail the boat back myself.

I have been sailing for many years and at one point I was working as an assistant instructor (dinghies and 27ft keelboats) so i am confident that I am a competent sailor but seaman ships skills and ocean experience is another matter entirely.

All things to think about