Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
How long does to sail to the Uk from Florida?

Apologies if this has already been covered but multiple searches proved fruitless.

How long does it take to sail a cruising sailboat from Florida to the UK?

I know that there wil no doubt be variables such as boat size/weight weather etc
But what is an average if sailing non-stop?

2 weeks? 3 weeks? 5 weeks?

Would love to hear from those who have already made this crossing... Anybody?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: How long does to sail to the Uk from Florida?

Six to eight weeks on most boats - figure between 100 and 150 miles per day.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
Apologies if this has already been covered but multiple searches proved fruitless.

How long does it take to sail a cruising sailboat from Florida to the UK?

I know that there wil no doubt be variables such as boat size/weight weather etc
But what is an average if sailing non-stop?

2 weeks? 3 weeks? 5 weeks?

Would love to hear from those who have already made this crossing... Anybody?
In what, following what route?

From Plymouth to Madera around the bottom of the North Atlantic High to Florida is roughly 4700 sea miles. If one could average 5 knots (unlikely), roughly 39 days running time. I think the 8 week estimate is probably more likely.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-09-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
In what, following what route?
I am planning to buy a Pearson 37 (sloop rigged, and reasonably fast for her size I understand), in Florida and sail her back to the UK (after prepping her for the voyage), most probably employing the services of a professional skipper

I need to account for the cost of a professional skipper at a cost of about £150
($185ish per day) and add this onto the top my purchase price.

Hence my curiosity as to the length of the voyage.

Route... the quickest owing to the fact that I will be paying the skipper for each day.

I am a reasonably competent sailor and have had plenty of offers to crew from friends who sail but nobody I know has the kind of experience I think prudent if not essential for such a voyage, thats why I am leaning towards engaging the services of a professional skipper.

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 05-09-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

One of my best friends has done it 3 times. He stopped in Bermuda. I think many yachties do. I think it took him four-five weeks. But it was a larger, performance boat.

I never realized Pearson made a 37. I am very farmiliar with the P36(5). Had good friends of ours that owned on. I always thought it would be a great bahamas boat and coastal cruiser. Has a pretty shallow bilge, right? No sea berth? As I remember, prety low fuel and water levels. But you know what, a good sailor can get her across. I would probably look into shipping her too. I wonder if you could get her into a container? If not, what about Dockwise Yacht Transport?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012
is Awesome!

As far as I know the Pearson 37 is quite a rare boat and only 30 were ever produced. so they are quite rare, but a cracking little boat CLICK HERE FOR SPECS.

I am open to all options when it comes to getting it back to Blighty, but I have to admit there is a part of me thinks that it would be rather a shame NOT to sail her back. But then again, perhaps I am trying to run before I can walk?

The boat is too wide to fit into a shipping container, what other methods could be used?

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 05-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

David--

I misunderstood your post/question (looked at the wrong direction in my earlier comments!)

From Cape Canaveral to Hamilton, Bermuda to Pico and thence to Plymouth is about 3900 sea miles. In that yacht you'll likely not average more than 4-1/2 knots so you'd be looking at about 36 days running not counting days lost to weather and lay-overs in port. With that, I suspect that the 7 weeks would likely be right. You could probably get a good deal of information from the Cruising Association in London.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-09-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Be aware that the 'ideal' weather window for this trip is quite narrow, end of April to beginning of May. But a late cold front can give you a real hammering south of Bermuda if you are still in the Gulfstream. .

Also that considerable periods of light winds are often encountered further east as you hit the Azores high. Lots of people ship extra diesel.

Jimmy Cornell reckoned that about a 1000 boats pass through the Azores every May/June so lots make the trip but it is not always an easy one.
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
David--

I misunderstood your post/question (looked at the wrong direction in my earlier comments!)

From Cape Canaveral to Hamilton, Bermuda to Pico and thence to Plymouth is about 3900 sea miles. In that yacht you'll likely not average more than 4-1/2 knots so you'd be looking at about 36 days running not counting days lost to weather and lay-overs in port. With that, I suspect that the 7 weeks would likely be right. You could probably get a good deal of information from the Cruising Association in London.

FWIW...
That sounds like a reasonable time assuming no duldrums.

I would sure look at DOckwise Yacht Transport as an option, David. They pick up in Ft. Lauderdale. It will not be cheap, fyi. My last quote on a 46 foot boat from Vancouver Canada to Ft Lauderdale was $36,000. I could knock it down to roughly 28ish if I paid up front and waited until 2 weeks before they left to see if they had an opening. A 40 foot boat from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver was 32ish. They measure to the inch including all overhangs, so be aware (and they are fairly precise because that determins how they will lay out the ship). I think I could ship from FLL to Van for mid 20's if I was really flexible and paid upfront.

As far as sailing, other than the cost of the Captain, you will have to assume a lot of wear and tear. THat boat will have to sail a very good percentage of the time. ALso, you are getting really close to Hurricane season and I suspect few captains will want to take that boat across the Atlantic in Hurricane season. Not at 4 knots. I sure wouldn't. And I'm not sure you would want her going across in Hurricane Season. SO now you are looking into November or better. Then you have to worry about northerns.

I highly suggest you contact a few delivery captains and crew and discuss your plans and the boat. You might find it is a bit more expensive than you anticipated, if you can get someone to do it at all on the P37. THe Dockwise numnber may be the most reasonable price and way to go. Exception is if you are gonig to sail her across yourself.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Be aware that the 'ideal' weather window for this trip is quite narrow, end of April to beginning of May. But a late cold front can give you a real hammering south of Bermuda if you are still in the Gulfstream. .

Also that considerable periods of light winds are often encountered further east as you hit the Azores high. Lots of people ship extra diesel.

Jimmy Cornell reckoned that about a 1000 boats pass through the Azores every May/June so lots make the trip but it is not always an easy one.
We posted at the same time it seems.

I think ARC does that in APril, right? I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: