Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Guitar or Other Instrument Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfunk48 View Post
Wow Smack 14 pieces? So that's a bass, snare and 12 toms??

.... or maybe one bongo, two skins, and 11 laces??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2012

windward54 is on a distinguished road

I used to play the guitar, but switched over to a ukulele. The ukulele was smaller and was easier to use in the tight quarters of a boat. Plus it turned out to be a lot more fun to play!
Old 05-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfunk48 View Post
Wow Smack 14 pieces? So that's a bass, snare and 12 toms??
I'm counting cymbals as well. I'm a Neil Peart, Terry Bozzio, and Chad Wackerman fan, what can I say?

CD - the cello's cool. Just look at Yo Ma Ma.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-09-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

My cello cost more than my boat and has never gotten anywhere close to it. Would love one of those electric or carbon fiber cellos but then they cost more than my boat. This is a very big conflict for me as one needs to, as my teacher once told me: "Only play on the days you eat."
Classical music from all periods, plus salon music from the turn of the century for piano trio. About 15 minutes of jazz is my limit and can take R&R at about minus 70 db. Guitar played like Les Paul is really nice. Jazz like Thelonius Monk is good.
Wish I could find an inexpensive plastic cello.
Once played a Bach suite in a Redwood grove. What an etherial experience. Would love to do the same at anchor.
John
Old 05-09-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

25+ years playing guitar, I still stink. I have 4 guitars total. 1 all acoustic (Washburn D10, 2 elec-acoustic (an Epiphone PR5e, and a Martin 000-CXEBlack), and 1 all elect (fender strat squire junk).

I love my Martin, it follows me everywhere. It's small (parlor size). I chord crunch mostly. I don't leave it on the boat for fear I'll ruin it. It's not a "true" Martin in the traditional sense, but it's the nicest I've owned.

I play modern country stuff, but mostly of classic rock... I try not to foist my voice, or guitar playing onto anyone. Most people are at the dock to relax. If music ain't your thing it can grate on you (as likely my voice does too).

Alcohol tends to curb my better judgement, and I've been known to "interrupt" silence with my poor quality tunes.
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
25+ years playing guitar, I still stink. I have 4 guitars total. 1 all acoustic (Washburn D10, 2 elec-acoustic (an Epiphone PR5e, and a Martin 000-CXEBlack), and 1 all elect (fender strat squire junk).

I love my Martin, it follows me everywhere. It's small (parlor size). I chord crunch mostly. I don't leave it on the boat for fear I'll ruin it. It's not a "true" Martin in the traditional sense, but it's the nicest I've owned.

I play modern country stuff, but mostly of classic rock... I try not to foist my voice, or guitar playing onto anyone. Most people are at the dock to relax. If music ain't your thing it can grate on you (as likely my voice does too).

Alcohol tends to curb my better judgement, and I've been known to "interrupt" silence with my poor quality tunes.
Great post! I have the same issue with vocals. My wife has the voice of an angel. I actually think she could be pro. Me on the other hand, well, it ain't pretty. Course, a few drinks and it doesn't matter (feeding others drinks, that is)

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012

LakePirate is on a distinguished road

I play a real mean radio.
Old 05-09-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Guitar. Playing-wise, I”m into blues and rock, some R&B, anything that’s catchy. I’m no lead player, but have some chops.

Guitars:
1. Gibson Les Paul Studio
2. Ibanez Iceman Clone (adorned with top of line Seymour Duncan pups). Built this guitar
from parts.
3. Aria Pro Series II Michael Schenker Flying V. Installed new parts, incl SD pups. Bought the body alone, no parts, $35
4. Aria Pro Series II Michael Schenker Destroyer. Had to match the other Aria.
5. BC Rich Warlock - Had to turn broken headstock from 5 string to 6 string. Still holding up. Gotta love Titebond III glues.
6. Jay Terser Blues (strat copy with reverse headstock).
7. Paul Stanley signature series Silvertone - very nice cheap guitar
8. Fender Telecaster
9. Fender Sprucetop acoustic
10. Ibanez 12-strong acoustic
12. Small (can’t remember brand), 24-3/4 neck electric travel guitar that I use on the boat.

About covers it. The little travel guitar wintered pretty well on the boat.

Need to thin out the herd.

Last edited by carl762; 05-09-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

I'm really good at playing the iPod. Still have my beloved Gibson acoustic guitar, until an injury made it impossible for me to chord accurately with my left pinky. (Bodysurfing on a beach in Aruba, so don't feel too sorry for me, okay?)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-09-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Great post! I have the same issue with vocals. My wife has the voice of an angel. I actually think she could be pro. Me on the other hand, well, it ain't pretty. Course, a few drinks and it doesn't matter (feeding others drinks, that is)

Brian
My wife, was a music major in school. She can play sax, alto, oboe, clarinet, and her specialty was flute. She can read/write music, and has taken voice lessons. She was at a time one of the top oboe players in the country. However! she discovered early on in her career she could not "live" on the income from it. Shame for the rest of us.

Meanwhile she won't sing in public, and doesn't play music anymore. We've lost a great musician, due to practicality. I've tried to get her into it again... just won't do it.

When she's singing at home, it's chilling to hear. So I totally understand where you are coming from.