Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Guitar or Other Instrument Players

Brian, the keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-3000 (no batteries) that originally sold for about $1,500. A lot of them look the same from the back side, but there's a world of difference on the front side, which some folks think that with all the controls looks like a space shuttle instrument panel.

As for where the other hand is placed, I'll never tell!

When I get to the Keys, Marathon will be my home base for a couple reasons. First and foremost, Marathon caters more to the older crowd, which is where I tend to fit in best. (I'm an old codger.) Most of the music I perform is from the 1950s through the mid 1980s, which is too old for the Key West crowd down on Duvall Street. Though I did play in Captain Tony's Bar once, the crowd was older, and by the end of the night I had a Congo line going round the room and snaking outside while playing and singing Hot, Hot, Hot. Those folks sure put a lot of booze through their systems that night.

Marathon has changed a lot over the years, some investors are pouring tons of money into the town, the old Faro Blanco Resort has been turned into a vacant lot and I've been told that a massive, upscale hotel and marina will be built there over the next three years. The restaurants all have music during the winter months, and some have as many as three bands a day with the music beginning at 3 p.m. and lasting until midnight. Lots of work for quality entertainers.

I'm negotiating with two locations right now, a bit of horse trading in the form of a free slip, water and electricity for two nights performance in the Tiki Bar. That will allow me to wheel my gear from the boat to the bar and not need to call a taxicab to get there. For sure, the equipment will NOT be transported in the dinghy--just too risky.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

Guitar. Decided to TRY and learn to play about 10 years ago and have never regretted it. Those that hear me play may feel differently. Mostly finger picking over established chord progressions, Blues licks etc.
One evening at anchor MM 436 I heard "some where over the rainbow" drifting over the anchorage. Absolutely beautiful on the Sax.
Dan S/V Marian Claire
Attached Thumbnails
Guitar or Other Instrument Players-100_1749-640.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012

CaptFoolhardy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm a drummer. But it's really hard to bring a 14 piece kit on the boat. I also play the guitar a bit, but mostly chord stuff...not a picker.
Wow Smack, 14 pieces. That's impressive. It rivals a drummer I used to play with, but if you're counting cymbals too I think he has a slight edge. He has as many cymbals as drums, plus a set of crotales and a gong! (he's also a Peart/Bozzio/et al fan though surprisingly not Bruford who is one of my faves).

Myself, I started on guitar and switched to bass when I was 19. I've played both in different bands but for a long time considered myself a bass player. I gave up playing in bands when my daughter (now a college freshman) was born. Since then I have been playing mostly acoustic guitar and have become somewhat accomplished at finger-picking.

Like you Smack, jazz, fusion, progressive rock, singer songwriter stuff, plus a heaping helping of stuff most people will actively avoid listening to, like they play in the middle of the night on my favorite radio station.
Old 05-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFoolhardy View Post
Wow Smack, 14 pieces. That's impressive. It rivals a drummer I used to play with, but if you're counting cymbals too I think he has a slight edge. He has as many cymbals as drums, plus a set of crotales and a gong! (he's also a Peart/Bozzio/et al fan though surprisingly not Bruford who is one of my faves).

Myself, I started on guitar and switched to bass when I was 19. I've played both in different bands but for a long time considered myself a bass player. I gave up playing in bands when my daughter (now a college freshman) was born. Since then I have been playing mostly acoustic guitar and have become somewhat accomplished at finger-picking.

Like you Smack, jazz, fusion, progressive rock, singer songwriter stuff, plus a heaping helping of stuff most people will actively avoid listening to, like they play in the middle of the night on my favorite radio station.
Bruford is awesome. No doubt. Then there's Cobham, Phillips, Greb, Royster Jr. - and on and on...

Have you ever heard of M-Base Collective? Cool stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-10-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I have stacks of guitars, but I have been at it a while. My present go to axe is a Gibson JS200 jumbo accoustic. It's a honey but it took a while to get usedto the size of it after my Martin OM-28. Not sure whicj one I prfer and they are both a kick to play. But Elvis played a J200 so I kind of like it.

Here's a pic of me at 18 playing my beautiful Gibson Super 400. I don't have that axe anymore but my hair is still exactly the same.

For a boat guitar I take my 1964 Guild D-50. It's kind of big but it's been through the wars with me and its sounds fantastic. It fits nicely on my quarter berth.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitar or Other Instrument Players-young-bob.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 05-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Brian, the keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-3000 (no batteries) that originally sold for about $1,500. A lot of them look the same from the back side, but there's a world of difference on the front side, which some folks think that with all the controls looks like a space shuttle instrument panel.

As for where the other hand is placed, I'll never tell!

When I get to the Keys, Marathon will be my home base for a couple reasons. First and foremost, Marathon caters more to the older crowd, which is where I tend to fit in best. (I'm an old codger.) Most of the music I perform is from the 1950s through the mid 1980s, which is too old for the Key West crowd down on Duvall Street. Though I did play in Captain Tony's Bar once, the crowd was older, and by the end of the night I had a Congo line going round the room and snaking outside while playing and singing Hot, Hot, Hot. Those folks sure put a lot of booze through their systems that night.

Marathon has changed a lot over the years, some investors are pouring tons of money into the town, the old Faro Blanco Resort has been turned into a vacant lot and I've been told that a massive, upscale hotel and marina will be built there over the next three years. The restaurants all have music during the winter months, and some have as many as three bands a day with the music beginning at 3 p.m. and lasting until midnight. Lots of work for quality entertainers.

I'm negotiating with two locations right now, a bit of horse trading in the form of a free slip, water and electricity for two nights performance in the Tiki Bar. That will allow me to wheel my gear from the boat to the bar and not need to call a taxicab to get there. For sure, the equipment will NOT be transported in the dinghy--just too risky.

Cheers,

Gary
You are absolutely right. Good for you in Marathon. I will keep an eye (or 8) out for ya. Not doing the Hot-Hot-Hot though...

Now if this fellow can play Eroica on his Yamaha, I want to hear it from you...

If that is too hard, just stick with Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit .

Cant wait to hear it... (just kidding of course).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I have stacks of guitars, but I have been at it a while. My present go to axe is a Gibson JS200 jumbo accoustic. It's a honey but it took a while to get usedto the size of it after my Martin OM-28. Not sure whicj one I prfer and they are both a kick to play. But Elvis played a J200 so I kind of like it.

Here's a pic of me at 18 playing my beautiful Gibson Super 400. I don't have that axe anymore but my hair is still exactly the same.

For a boat guitar I take my 1964 Guild D-50. It's kind of big but it's been through the wars with me and its sounds fantastic. It fits nicely on my quarter berth.
The size of the Gibsons is a killer. I nearly bought a Songwriter - slimer and smaller body in general. Kindof a cross between a Martin and Gibson, but didn't like the blend in sound and I never have been a fan of that finish they put on their necks. THe Martin and Taylor finish is a lot faster. Course, lots of people disagree with me. Guess that's why guitars are like recliners...

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianclaire View Post
Guitar. Decided to TRY and learn to play about 10 years ago and have never regretted it. Those that hear me play may feel differently. Mostly finger picking over established chord progressions, Blues licks etc.
One evening at anchor MM 436 I heard "some where over the rainbow" drifting over the anchorage. Absolutely beautiful on the Sax.
Dan S/V Marian Claire
Me too.

Hotel California and Dust in the Wind, Baby! I was actually a bit surprised at how hard that was to learn (Hotel California) for me. Lots of quick, two bar stretches. But I have this one really deep crevice in my pointer that the E (or should I say 'e') loves to just get under and screw up!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-10-2012

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

I play guitar and bass. Actually quit a job with IBM to move to California to play in a rock band in the 70's. IBM hired me back about 10 years later.

I recently got dragged back into playing "professionally" (well, for money anyway) by my girlfriend. She had a solo album on Capital Records back in the 70's and then was in a band with a couple of guys from The Doors after Jim Morrison died (The Butts Band) and then a band with Stewart Copeland (NOT The Police though).

We just had a jam session at my yacht club on Derby de Mayo day ... had Peter Frampton's bass player on bass and my G-F on keys and vocals. I strummed guitar and was smilin' all night long ......
Old 05-10-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRelyea View Post
I play guitar and bass. Actually quit a job with IBM to move to California to play in a rock band in the 70's. IBM hired me back about 10 years later.

I recently got dragged back into playing "professionally" (well, for money anyway) by my girlfriend. She had a solo album on Capital Records back in the 70's and then was in a band with a couple of guys from The Doors after Jim Morrison died (The Butts Band) and then a band with Stewart Copeland (NOT The Police though).

We just had a jam session at my yacht club on Derby de Mayo day ... had Peter Frampton's bass player on bass and my G-F on keys and vocals. I strummed guitar and was smilin' all night long ......
Great story! I think Sammy Hagar will be posting on here soon. Not sure if I would be more surprised to see him on Sailnet or that he owned a sailboat!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: