SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Guitar or Other Instrument Players

8K views 64 replies 30 participants last post by  bobperry 
#1 ·
So for you cruisers (or weekenders) how many play an instrument and what? What is your favorite music? Most of the people we met played a guitar. This one gal played a violin and I have seen a harmonica. Never heard the harmonica play, honestly. We quickly left the anchorage. There are some things that just don't mix with alcohol and sunsets.

Had an awesome time in Marathon (which I have shared) when we got together with Howard Livingston. Great singer and very freindly by the way. Pull out your guitar and he will probably play with you. I have heard that about Jimmy Buffet too, but have never seen it.

I personally play the gee-tar. Got my newest baby (Taylor 814ce) a few weeks back. Will probably be my last guitar for a while, if ever. Played an old Takamine Jasmine and Easman before that and the neck finally gave out (warped up). Cost more to fix it than a new one, and I wanted something different anyways.

Feel free to sound off...

Brian

PS My favorite music to play: Staind, Live, workin on some Boss songs, play the heck out of Skynyrd and Kansas. Tom Petty stuff is pretty easy (but I have trouble matching his voice... who doesn't). I am, of course, an 80's child...

See less See more
#2 ·
Next time you're in the PNW c'mon up for a jam..

I play Bass in bands and piano at home. Do own a 6 string but can't really do it justice.... it does occasionally find it's way onto the boat on cruises for some raggedy-ass singalongs...

#5 ·
Believe it or not, I have never playd the bass. I am not even a big electric player, though I have a Fender Strat with a lot of dust on it. My Taylor has a really nice pickup system but in the end, its still acoustic.

Oh - and strings (for guitar players): I am sold on D'Addario EXPs. Really resist corrosion well.

We carry a Yamaha Keyboard. Wife plays it and oldest plays around on it.

Smack - Bagpipes, huh? Wow. I guess it could be worse. My oldest wants to do the cello. Pretty good at it really, but imagine that thing making its way down the companionway. I suggested he try the kazoo. Its the hottest thing for kids. No really. All the cool kids play one.

Jazz? I actually printed off the music for Johnny Be Good by Chuck Berry. Pfft. That song moves. That guy was freaking awesome.

#3 ·
I'm a drummer. But it's really hard to bring a 14 piece kit on the boat. I also play the guitar a bit, but mostly chord stuff...not a picker.

My favorite music is jazz fusion, progressive rock, and singer/songwriter stuff.

Oh, and my son is learning the bagpipes. So we'll make quite a combo.

#4 ·
Guitar. I play a Gretsch in my church's praise band, and have an Ibanez acoustic. Mostly contemporary church music, with some blues and old 60's/70's thrown in there for good measure: CCR, Beatles, Clapton, Neil Young, etc.

Also saxophone. I'm a huge jazz and blues freak. I have a few altos, and a tenor.

I can pick up a trumpet, or trombone and join in. But I've sold those and am pretty rusty.

#7 ·
Classical violin and (briefly) the French horn. I like just about any type of music, however, I particularly like Baroque music played with period instruments.

I was given a didgeridoo as a gift and every now and then I attempt it but I have not gotten beyond the "I think I'm about to pass out" stage.

#10 · (Edited)
I've owned one or two guitars for most of my life, but never really learned to play. Last Christmas my wife bought me the Gibson "Learn and Master Guitar" DVD lessons and I've been working on trying to learn to really play since the first of the year.

I enjoy lots of different types of music and will play just about anything I can find that fits my current skill level. That runs the gamut from War Pigs (mostly got it all down but the solo), to Cumbersome (7 Mary Three), to Knocking on Heaven's Door (Dylan style vs GNR) and a few other tunes.

My go-to guitar at present is my recently aquired Gibson Les Paul Studio (Silverburst w/Ebony fretboard and coil taps). Second is my Washburn acoustic.

I also have a Fender AmStd Strat (had for a decade+, but never fell in love with), and a couple of inexpensive electrics aquired over the years. I hang on to the Strat thinking some day I'll be skilled enough to make it sing the blues, but for now the Les Paul has my full attention.

#14 ·
My cello cost more than my boat and has never gotten anywhere close to it. Would love one of those electric or carbon fiber cellos but then they cost more than my boat. This is a very big conflict for me as one needs to, as my teacher once told me: "Only play on the days you eat."
Classical music from all periods, plus salon music from the turn of the century for piano trio. About 15 minutes of jazz is my limit and can take R&R at about minus 70 db. Guitar played like Les Paul is really nice. Jazz like Thelonius Monk is good.
Wish I could find an inexpensive plastic cello.
Once played a Bach suite in a Redwood grove. What an etherial experience. Would love to do the same at anchor.
John

#15 ·
25+ years playing guitar, I still stink. I have 4 guitars total. 1 all acoustic (Washburn D10, 2 elec-acoustic (an Epiphone PR5e, and a Martin 000-CXEBlack), and 1 all elect (fender strat squire junk).

I love my Martin, it follows me everywhere. It's small (parlor size). I chord crunch mostly. I don't leave it on the boat for fear I'll ruin it. It's not a "true" Martin in the traditional sense, but it's the nicest I've owned.

I play modern country stuff, but mostly of classic rock... I try not to foist my voice, or guitar playing onto anyone. Most people are at the dock to relax. If music ain't your thing it can grate on you (as likely my voice does too).

Alcohol tends to curb my better judgement, and I've been known to "interrupt" silence with my poor quality tunes.

#18 · (Edited)
Guitar. Playing-wise, I"m into blues and rock, some R&B, anything that's catchy. I'm no lead player, but have some chops.

Guitars:
1. Gibson Les Paul Studio
2. Ibanez Iceman Clone (adorned with top of line Seymour Duncan pups). Built this guitar
from parts.
3. Aria Pro Series II Michael Schenker Flying V. Installed new parts, incl SD pups. Bought the body alone, no parts, $35
4. Aria Pro Series II Michael Schenker Destroyer. Had to match the other Aria.
5. BC Rich Warlock - Had to turn broken headstock from 5 string to 6 string. Still holding up. Gotta love Titebond III glues.
6. Jay Terser Blues (strat copy with reverse headstock).
7. Paul Stanley signature series Silvertone - very nice cheap guitar
8. Fender Telecaster
9. Fender Sprucetop acoustic
10. Ibanez 12-strong acoustic
12. Small (can't remember brand), 24-3/4 neck electric travel guitar that I use on the boat.

About covers it. The little travel guitar wintered pretty well on the boat.

Need to thin out the herd. :)

#19 ·
I'm really good at playing the iPod. Still have my beloved Gibson acoustic guitar, until an injury made it impossible for me to chord accurately with my left pinky. (Bodysurfing on a beach in Aruba, so don't feel too sorry for me, okay?)

#21 ·
I started off playing piano at age 5, switched to a 6-string acoustic guitar at age 12, played a 6-string electric in a rock band while in the navy at ages 17 to 20, switched to a 6-string Gibson and played honky-tonk bars for a couple years after that. Formed a country band at age 35 playing a 6-string Ibanez, then switched to a 12-string Yamaha for several years. Purchased my first arranger keyboard about 20 years ago, sold the guitars, and have been playing arranger keyboards ever since. The arranger allowed me to be a full-time musician/entertainer, which has been my primary source of income for the past 15 years. Most of the time I'm surrounded by wonderful audiences of all ages, they love my playing and vocals, and for the most part I think I have the best job in the world.

I'll be transporting my equipment on the boat for the first time this June, and I hope it holds up to the saltwater environment. Everything is electronic, and everything is quite expensive. Fortunately, when not in use, all the equipment is stored heavy-duty cases. They're not water-proof by any means, but they should provide adequate protection from the elements--at least I hope they do.

The photo below is one taken at a local jewelry store where I've been performing for a huge Christmas sale for the past 8 years.

Here's one of the songs recorded during a live performance at an Italian Restaurant where I regularly play. https://www.box.com/s/tldeu5sm2876ddabb3tr

The big test of the gear will begin October 1, when I sail for Marathon Key, FL where I'll be living aboard and performing at some of the marina Tiki Bars for the ensuing 6 months, then head back to the Chesapeake's upper reaches. Should be fun.

It's really great to see so many forum members who are also musicians.

Great thread,

Gary :cool:

#26 · (Edited)
I have an Ashton guitar 6 string, a made in Hawaii ukulele (bright red), an harmonica with beginners book which I have yet to read. The missis did have a tambourine and maracas which I managed to get her to take of the boat. The 6 string may have to go as it does take up space and keeping it in tune is a bear. The uke floats and seems to stay in tune longer and the gut strings dont rust,

#28 ·
Heh-heh. You haven't heard my 12-year-old playing. Sounds like he's murdering a cat with a duck.

But he's learning.

And Dacap - if Bela Fleck can bring in the freakin' banjo, why not the pipes? And have you never heard Ornette Coleman? Anything could drop into that melee.

Actually, his favorite band right now is The Dropkick Murphys...an Irish punk band. I must admit - they do rock.

#29 ·
I play drums in a cover band around the Jersey Shore. We try to do covers that kind of make fun of themselves like Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and other pop tunes. I'm not a great drummer, better at other instruments, but we are all friends and I was the "best" drummer of the four so... We have a facebook page with some recordings and videos if you scroll down the timeline. Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

#31 ·
Brian, the keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-3000 (no batteries) that originally sold for about $1,500. A lot of them look the same from the back side, but there's a world of difference on the front side, which some folks think that with all the controls looks like a space shuttle instrument panel. ;)

As for where the other hand is placed, I'll never tell! :) :) :)

When I get to the Keys, Marathon will be my home base for a couple reasons. First and foremost, Marathon caters more to the older crowd, which is where I tend to fit in best. (I'm an old codger.) Most of the music I perform is from the 1950s through the mid 1980s, which is too old for the Key West crowd down on Duvall Street. Though I did play in Captain Tony's Bar once, the crowd was older, and by the end of the night I had a Congo line going round the room and snaking outside while playing and singing Hot, Hot, Hot. Those folks sure put a lot of booze through their systems that night.

Marathon has changed a lot over the years, some investors are pouring tons of money into the town, the old Faro Blanco Resort has been turned into a vacant lot and I've been told that a massive, upscale hotel and marina will be built there over the next three years. The restaurants all have music during the winter months, and some have as many as three bands a day with the music beginning at 3 p.m. and lasting until midnight. Lots of work for quality entertainers.

I'm negotiating with two locations right now, a bit of horse trading in the form of a free slip, water and electricity for two nights performance in the Tiki Bar. That will allow me to wheel my gear from the boat to the bar and not need to call a taxicab to get there. For sure, the equipment will NOT be transported in the dinghy--just too risky.

Cheers,

#36 ·
Brian, the keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-3000 (no batteries) that originally sold for about $1,500. A lot of them look the same from the back side, but there's a world of difference on the front side, which some folks think that with all the controls looks like a space shuttle instrument panel. ;)

As for where the other hand is placed, I'll never tell! :) :) :)

When I get to the Keys, Marathon will be my home base for a couple reasons. First and foremost, Marathon caters more to the older crowd, which is where I tend to fit in best. (I'm an old codger.) Most of the music I perform is from the 1950s through the mid 1980s, which is too old for the Key West crowd down on Duvall Street. Though I did play in Captain Tony's Bar once, the crowd was older, and by the end of the night I had a Congo line going round the room and snaking outside while playing and singing Hot, Hot, Hot. Those folks sure put a lot of booze through their systems that night.

Marathon has changed a lot over the years, some investors are pouring tons of money into the town, the old Faro Blanco Resort has been turned into a vacant lot and I've been told that a massive, upscale hotel and marina will be built there over the next three years. The restaurants all have music during the winter months, and some have as many as three bands a day with the music beginning at 3 p.m. and lasting until midnight. Lots of work for quality entertainers.

I'm negotiating with two locations right now, a bit of horse trading in the form of a free slip, water and electricity for two nights performance in the Tiki Bar. That will allow me to wheel my gear from the boat to the bar and not need to call a taxicab to get there. For sure, the equipment will NOT be transported in the dinghy--just too risky.

Cheers,

You are absolutely right. Good for you in Marathon. I will keep an eye (or 8) out for ya. Not doing the Hot-Hot-Hot though...

Now if this fellow can play Eroica on his Yamaha, I want to hear it from you...

If that is too hard, just stick with Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit .

Cant wait to hear it... (just kidding of course).

Brian

#32 ·
Guitar. Decided to TRY and learn to play about 10 years ago and have never regretted it. Those that hear me play may feel differently. Mostly finger picking over established chord progressions, Blues licks etc.
One evening at anchor MM 436 I heard "some where over the rainbow" drifting over the anchorage. Absolutely beautiful on the Sax.
Dan S/V Marian Claire

Attachments

#38 ·
Me too.

Hotel California and Dust in the Wind, Baby! I was actually a bit surprised at how hard that was to learn (Hotel California) for me. Lots of quick, two bar stretches. But I have this one really deep crevice in my pointer that the E (or should I say 'e') loves to just get under and screw up!

Brian

#35 ·
I have stacks of guitars, but I have been at it a while. My present go to axe is a Gibson JS200 jumbo accoustic. It's a honey but it took a while to get usedto the size of it after my Martin OM-28. Not sure whicj one I prfer and they are both a kick to play. But Elvis played a J200 so I kind of like it.

Here's a pic of me at 18 playing my beautiful Gibson Super 400. I don't have that axe anymore but my hair is still exactly the same.

For a boat guitar I take my 1964 Guild D-50. It's kind of big but it's been through the wars with me and its sounds fantastic. It fits nicely on my quarter berth.

Attachments

#37 ·
The size of the Gibsons is a killer. I nearly bought a Songwriter - slimer and smaller body in general. Kindof a cross between a Martin and Gibson, but didn't like the blend in sound and I never have been a fan of that finish they put on their necks. THe Martin and Taylor finish is a lot faster. Course, lots of people disagree with me. Guess that's why guitars are like recliners...

Brian

#39 ·
I play guitar and bass. Actually quit a job with IBM to move to California to play in a rock band in the 70's. IBM hired me back about 10 years later.

I recently got dragged back into playing "professionally" (well, for money anyway) by my girlfriend. She had a solo album on Capital Records back in the 70's and then was in a band with a couple of guys from The Doors after Jim Morrison died (The Butts Band) and then a band with Stewart Copeland (NOT The Police though).

We just had a jam session at my yacht club on Derby de Mayo day ... had Peter Frampton's bass player on bass and my G-F on keys and vocals. I strummed guitar and was smilin' all night long ......

#40 ·
I play guitar and bass. Actually quit a job with IBM to move to California to play in a rock band in the 70's. IBM hired me back about 10 years later.

I recently got dragged back into playing "professionally" (well, for money anyway) by my girlfriend. She had a solo album on Capital Records back in the 70's and then was in a band with a couple of guys from The Doors after Jim Morrison died (The Butts Band) and then a band with Stewart Copeland (NOT The Police though).

We just had a jam session at my yacht club on Derby de Mayo day ... had Peter Frampton's bass player on bass and my G-F on keys and vocals. I strummed guitar and was smilin' all night long ......
Great story! I think Sammy Hagar will be posting on here soon. Not sure if I would be more surprised to see him on Sailnet or that he owned a sailboat!

Brian

#41 ·
I've dragged my 1955 Conn 10M tenor saxophone through bars and seedy dives in some of the world's more interesting non-tourist areas for the past 13 years and will be interested to see how it stands up to the salt air when I retire in 204 calendar days (not that I'm counting). Am hoping that if I spray WD40 in one of those space-saver storage bags and then use a bilge pump to suck all the air out, it might last a month or so before turning to rust. Or maybe I'll leave it on shore and get a Chinese throwaway instead. Anyone have any experience with brass instruments on boats?

#42 ·
"204 days..." I love it! Just so you know, you may find yourself more busy in 205 days than the next 204 combined. Pops curses it all the time. "Well Dad, since you're retired, will you..."

Not really sure why he decided to put his boat in the Pacific Nortwest with mine in South Florida. Says he sailing where there is no cell phone coverage too. Not sure if there is a hidden message there??

Brian

#43 · (Edited)
I make guitars (and play them very poorly), so I made myself a boat guitar that I wouldn't mind getting wet/humid/knocked around.

It's made of Formica, and a bunch of other non-traditional materials that make it fairly waterproof.

I love it. It doesn't sound "good" but it totally sounds like a guitar, and I don't worry a bit about it getting beat up on the boat. There's a sound sample on my blog here:

Boat Guitar | Sailing Fortuitous

#46 ·
I make guitars (and play them very poorly), so I made myself a boat guitar that I wouldn't mind getting wet/humid/knocked around.

It's made of Formica, and a bunch of other non-traditional materials that make it fairly waterproof.

I love it. It doesn't sound "good" but it totally sounds like a guitar, and I don't worry a bit about it getting beat up on the boat. There's a sound sample on my blog here:

Boat Guitar | Sailing Fortuitous
WHat? No Indian rosewood??

Good looking guitar. Reality is that, as was 'nicely' put to me once, Sammy Hagar could grab a $10 guitar and sound like Sammy Hagar. Whereas I could grab Sammy Hagar's $10,000 guitar and sound like, well, you get the picture... Sailnet won't let me type those words anyways.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.