SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Guitar or Other Instrument Players (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87219-guitar-other-instrument-players.html)

Cruisingdad 05-09-2012 01:38 PM

Guitar or Other Instrument Players

So for you cruisers (or weekenders) how many play an instrument and what? What is your favorite music? Most of the people we met played a guitar. This one gal played a violin and I have seen a harmonica. Never heard the harmonica play, honestly. We quickly left the anchorage. There are some things that just don't mix with alcohol and sunsets.

Had an awesome time in Marathon (which I have shared) when we got together with Howard Livingston. Great singer and very freindly by the way. Pull out your guitar and he will probably play with you. I have heard that about Jimmy Buffet too, but have never seen it.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...vingston-2.jpg

I personally play the gee-tar. Got my newest baby (Taylor 814ce) a few weeks back. Will probably be my last guitar for a while, if ever. Played an old Takamine Jasmine and Easman before that and the neck finally gave out (warped up). Cost more to fix it than a new one, and I wanted something different anyways.

Feel free to sound off...

Brian

PS My favorite music to play: Staind, Live, workin on some Boss songs, play the heck out of Skynyrd and Kansas. Tom Petty stuff is pretty easy (but I have trouble matching his voice... who doesn't). I am, of course, an 80's child...

Faster 05-09-2012 01:53 PM

Re: Guitar or Other Instrument Players

Next time you're in the PNW c'mon up for a jam..

I play Bass in bands and piano at home. Do own a 6 string but can't really do it justice.... it does occasionally find it's way onto the boat on cruises for some raggedy-ass singalongs...

smackdaddy 05-09-2012 01:54 PM

I'm a drummer. But it's really hard to bring a 14 piece kit on the boat. I also play the guitar a bit, but mostly chord stuff...not a picker.

My favorite music is jazz fusion, progressive rock, and singer/songwriter stuff.

Oh, and my son is learning the bagpipes. So we'll make quite a combo.

dmcMaine 05-09-2012 02:09 PM

Guitar. I play a Gretsch in my church's praise band, and have an Ibanez acoustic. Mostly contemporary church music, with some blues and old 60's/70's thrown in there for good measure: CCR, Beatles, Clapton, Neil Young, etc.

Also saxophone. I'm a huge jazz and blues freak. I have a few altos, and a tenor.

I can pick up a trumpet, or trombone and join in. But I've sold those and am pretty rusty.

Cruisingdad 05-09-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 869242)
Next time you're in the PNW c'mon up for a jam..

I play Bass in bands and piano at home. Do own a 6 string but can't really do it justice.... it does occasionally find it's way onto the boat on cruises for some raggedy-ass singalongs...

Believe it or not, I have never playd the bass. I am not even a big electric player, though I have a Fender Strat with a lot of dust on it. My Taylor has a really nice pickup system but in the end, its still acoustic.

Oh - and strings (for guitar players): I am sold on D'Addario EXPs. Really resist corrosion well.

We carry a Yamaha Keyboard. Wife plays it and oldest plays around on it.

Smack - Bagpipes, huh? Wow. I guess it could be worse. My oldest wants to do the cello. Pretty good at it really, but imagine that thing making its way down the companionway. I suggested he try the kazoo. Its the hottest thing for kids. No really. All the cool kids play one.

Jazz? I actually printed off the music for Johnny Be Good by Chuck Berry. Pfft. That song moves. That guy was freaking awesome.

Cruisingdad 05-09-2012 02:12 PM

That dude rocks. You are deaf if you dont think he was one of the all time best.

Brian

DRFerron 05-09-2012 02:14 PM

Classical violin and (briefly) the French horn. I like just about any type of music, however, I particularly like Baroque music played with period instruments.

I was given a didgeridoo as a gift and every now and then I attempt it but I have not gotten beyond the "I think I'm about to pass out" stage.

Chadfunk48 05-09-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 869243)
I'm a drummer. But it's really hard to bring a 14 piece kit on the boat. I also play the guitar a bit, but mostly chord stuff...not a picker.

My favorite music is jazz fusion, progressive rock, and singer/songwriter stuff.

Oh, and my son is learning the bagpipes. So we'll make quite a combo.

Wow Smack 14 pieces? So that's a bass, snare and 12 toms??;)

LessTacksing 05-09-2012 02:30 PM

I play Bass trombone and Tuba. Enjoy Classical and Swing, but will appreciate almost any other type of music.

PalmettoSailor 05-09-2012 02:58 PM

I've owned one or two guitars for most of my life, but never really learned to play. Last Christmas my wife bought me the Gibson "Learn and Master Guitar" DVD lessons and I've been working on trying to learn to really play since the first of the year.

I enjoy lots of different types of music and will play just about anything I can find that fits my current skill level. That runs the gamut from War Pigs (mostly got it all down but the solo), to Cumbersome (7 Mary Three), to Knocking on Heaven's Door (Dylan style vs GNR) and a few other tunes.

My go-to guitar at present is my recently aquired Gibson Les Paul Studio (Silverburst w/Ebony fretboard and coil taps). Second is my Washburn acoustic.

I also have a Fender AmStd Strat (had for a decade+, but never fell in love with), and a couple of inexpensive electrics aquired over the years. I hang on to the Strat thinking some day I'll be skilled enough to make it sing the blues, but for now the Les Paul has my full attention.