Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Guitar or Other Instrument Players

So for you cruisers (or weekenders) how many play an instrument and what? What is your favorite music? Most of the people we met played a guitar. This one gal played a violin and I have seen a harmonica. Never heard the harmonica play, honestly. We quickly left the anchorage. There are some things that just don't mix with alcohol and sunsets.

Had an awesome time in Marathon (which I have shared) when we got together with Howard Livingston. Great singer and very freindly by the way. Pull out your guitar and he will probably play with you. I have heard that about Jimmy Buffet too, but have never seen it.

I personally play the gee-tar. Got my newest baby (Taylor 814ce) a few weeks back. Will probably be my last guitar for a while, if ever. Played an old Takamine Jasmine and Easman before that and the neck finally gave out (warped up). Cost more to fix it than a new one, and I wanted something different anyways.

Feel free to sound off...

Brian

PS My favorite music to play: Staind, Live, workin on some Boss songs, play the heck out of Skynyrd and Kansas. Tom Petty stuff is pretty easy (but I have trouble matching his voice... who doesn't). I am, of course, an 80's child...

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Guitar or Other Instrument Players

Next time you're in the PNW c'mon up for a jam..

I play Bass in bands and piano at home. Do own a 6 string but can't really do it justice.... it does occasionally find it's way onto the boat on cruises for some raggedy-ass singalongs...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I'm a drummer. But it's really hard to bring a 14 piece kit on the boat. I also play the guitar a bit, but mostly chord stuff...not a picker.

My favorite music is jazz fusion, progressive rock, and singer/songwriter stuff.

Oh, and my son is learning the bagpipes. So we'll make quite a combo.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-09-2012
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road

Guitar. I play a Gretsch in my church's praise band, and have an Ibanez acoustic. Mostly contemporary church music, with some blues and old 60's/70's thrown in there for good measure: CCR, Beatles, Clapton, Neil Young, etc.

Also saxophone. I'm a huge jazz and blues freak. I have a few altos, and a tenor.

I can pick up a trumpet, or trombone and join in. But I've sold those and am pretty rusty.
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Next time you're in the PNW c'mon up for a jam..

I play Bass in bands and piano at home. Do own a 6 string but can't really do it justice.... it does occasionally find it's way onto the boat on cruises for some raggedy-ass singalongs...
Believe it or not, I have never playd the bass. I am not even a big electric player, though I have a Fender Strat with a lot of dust on it. My Taylor has a really nice pickup system but in the end, its still acoustic.

Oh - and strings (for guitar players): I am sold on D'Addario EXPs. Really resist corrosion well.

We carry a Yamaha Keyboard. Wife plays it and oldest plays around on it.

Smack - Bagpipes, huh? Wow. I guess it could be worse. My oldest wants to do the cello. Pretty good at it really, but imagine that thing making its way down the companionway. I suggested he try the kazoo. Its the hottest thing for kids. No really. All the cool kids play one.

Jazz? I actually printed off the music for Johnny Be Good by Chuck Berry. Pfft. That song moves. That guy was freaking awesome.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

That dude rocks. You are deaf if you dont think he was one of the all time best.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Classical violin and (briefly) the French horn. I like just about any type of music, however, I particularly like Baroque music played with period instruments.

I was given a didgeridoo as a gift and every now and then I attempt it but I have not gotten beyond the "I think I'm about to pass out" stage.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-09-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm a drummer. But it's really hard to bring a 14 piece kit on the boat. I also play the guitar a bit, but mostly chord stuff...not a picker.

My favorite music is jazz fusion, progressive rock, and singer/songwriter stuff.

Oh, and my son is learning the bagpipes. So we'll make quite a combo.
Wow Smack 14 pieces? So that's a bass, snare and 12 toms??

Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 05-09-2012

LessTacksing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LessTacksing

I play Bass trombone and Tuba. Enjoy Classical and Swing, but will appreciate almost any other type of music.
Old 05-09-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I've owned one or two guitars for most of my life, but never really learned to play. Last Christmas my wife bought me the Gibson "Learn and Master Guitar" DVD lessons and I've been working on trying to learn to really play since the first of the year.

I enjoy lots of different types of music and will play just about anything I can find that fits my current skill level. That runs the gamut from War Pigs (mostly got it all down but the solo), to Cumbersome (7 Mary Three), to Knocking on Heaven's Door (Dylan style vs GNR) and a few other tunes.

My go-to guitar at present is my recently aquired Gibson Les Paul Studio (Silverburst w/Ebony fretboard and coil taps). Second is my Washburn acoustic.

I also have a Fender AmStd Strat (had for a decade+, but never fell in love with), and a couple of inexpensive electrics aquired over the years. I hang on to the Strat thinking some day I'll be skilled enough to make it sing the blues, but for now the Les Paul has my full attention.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 05-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.