SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Porta-Bote Stability? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87245-porta-bote-stability.html)

GrahamO 05-10-2012 10:36 AM

Porta-Bote Stability?

Now we need a dinghy.....

On our last boat we had a dangerously small 'Walmart' inflatable but we think we need to step up a little this time. No davits so it is foredeck storage.
I've read all the dinghy threads and realize that there is no perfect answer but the Porta-Bote looks tempting for a variety of reasons such as storage, rowability, sailability and performance with a small outboard. However, I'm a little concerned about stability for entry and exit from a stern ladder.

What experience have people had with this? Are there any direct alternatives?

Thanks a lot,

dabnis 05-10-2012 01:20 PM

Re: Porta-Bote Stability?

No first hand experience with them but have seen quite a few close up with two people in them. They appear to be stable with a fair amount of freeboard, most had a small motor like a Honda 2HP on them. Suggest you get the largest one that will fit your storage space.

Paul T

GrahamO 05-10-2012 02:17 PM

Porta-Bote Stability?

Yep,
The 8' looks too small and the 12' is getting heavy so the 10' looks about right.

dabnis 05-10-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamO (Post 869687)
Yep,
The 8' looks too small and the 12' is getting heavy so the 10' looks about right.

Just remembered, not sure if "Porta-Boat" or "Fold Boat" are the same? the ones we saw fold up flat and can be attached to the side of an RV or flat on deck.

Paul T

GrahamO 05-10-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabnis (Post 869722)
Just remembered, not sure if "Porta-Boat" or "Fold Boat" are the same? the ones we saw fold up flat and can be attached to the side of an RV or flat on deck.

Paul T

That's the one. Portabote

Barquito 05-10-2012 04:23 PM

I think if you have a hard chined boat, it will be reasonably stable if the beam is about 3'8" or more. I can stand on the middle bench of my hard dinghy as far out as I can, and not turn it over... but I only weigh a little over a buck fifty.

captbillc 05-10-2012 04:39 PM

i have a 10' 8" porta bote it is very stable because the beam is 5'. i use a 4 HP outboard. it folds flat along the lifelines on my 30 ft nimble sloop. the seats & oars are stowed down in the cockpit locker. i have a clear foredeck & assemble it there. i hoist it on end with the spinnaker halyard & put it over the side.

GrahamO 05-10-2012 05:15 PM

Porta-Bote Stability?

Thanks captbill,
How do you find it for stability when boarding? EDIT - you answered that.....

I was thinking of a 2.5 motor to keep the weight down. Will that move it OK (not in a hurry)?

dabnis 05-10-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamO (Post 869778)
Thanks captbill,
How do you find it for stability when boarding? EDIT - you answered that.....

I was thinking of a 2.5 motor to keep the weight down. Will that move it OK (not in a hurry)?

We had a Honda 2HP that pushed a wide 10 foot Jon boat at 5.5 MPH with 2 people aboard and all our fishing gear at 6,000 foot elevation. Not too fast but had a lot of thrust. We towed a large fishing boat back to the ramp. i/2 throttle gave us plenty of headway. Nice thing is that it weighed only 27 pounds and used very little gas.

Paul T

Brent Swain 05-10-2012 11:28 PM

A friend, who has used the same one for 20 years, well worn , jumped at the opportunity to buy another. Loves them. He paddles standing up, so they can't be all that unstable. His is the 8 ft rowing only, double ended version. Too bad they don't make that version any more.