Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Selling a boat - an emotional experience

Glad to see I am not the only one who get frustrated with "the two happiest days of a boat owners life.." expression.

I try to spend as much time finding a new owner for my old boats as one would in placing a puppy in a new home.

I find most sailors focus on bettering the boat to the best of their ability. Knowing the sailors from the wannabes helps with the loss some. Selling to a friend is a bonus.

I'd follow that it helps getting the new owners to join the owners forums, and here at sailnet. Then you can listen/hear about your old love with a new family, and how it grows with them as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2012

aeaston is on a distinguished road

I sold my first keelboat last summer, since the fiancee and I had decided to move up to a larger boat. We had two of our best evening sails on her while she was up for sale. The day we'd agreed upon a sale with the new owner, he insisted on giving us time to say goodbye before he took her away a couple of days later.

The last evening I had her, it was dead calm, after dark, and we just motored out, and drifted bare poles in silence for maybe an hour. It was tough, but we got our goodbyes in. New owner sailed her away the next day. It was hard to watch her go, thats for sure.

Not sure I'd want to keep seeing her, but I know she's in good hands, and giving the new owner the time of his life, which eases my mind a bit.
dylanwinter1 likes this.
Old 05-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I have a friend that coincidentally called me yesterday to tell me it was "the second happiest day of his life". He sold his boat. It was a dayboat for towing skiers that he would use once per year. His kids are all licensed, but had no time to use it themselves either. He is out for good, so he says.

When I bought my current boat, her prior owner literally wept on the dock as she cast off. She was his dream to sail through the Caribbean in retirement. He commissioned her new from the factory and had to abandon his dream just a few years later. Why is not totally clear to me. He gave a reason, but I've always thought it was covering for a health problem.

Letting go of fond memories or a dream that never was is very hard.

However, I know the cure. Buy your new boat before your old boat sells..... That has happened to me once. Sit on two sets of maintenance, insurance, storage, and the possibility of a repair that could cost thousands at any moment without warning, and the fond memories are obliterated!! You absolutely can't wait to see her go!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
However, I know the cure. Buy your new boat before your old boat sells..... That has happened to me once. Sit on two sets of maintenance, insurance, storage, and the possibility of a repair that could cost thousands at any moment without warning, and the fond memories are obliterated!! You absolutely can't wait to see her go!!!!!

Yes... but like all good therapy.. bloody expensive!
Hays likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)