Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Selling a boat - an emotional experience

I sold my booat last week

not the slug yet but a 15 foot coble I built myself and used as a family dayboat come camping trailer

The boat features in lots of family holiday pictures with children growing from gawky adolescents to people on the verge of adulthood

while jill and I got greyer and wrinklier.

I was really sad when I saw the boat dissapear up the road behind another man's car. A slice of my life went with it.

the night before I picked up the Minstrel - a 23 foot trailer sailer - I could not raise the owner (who had owned the boat for fifteen years) on the phone to check he had received the money

he and his wife were having their last evening in the cockpit while the boat was sitting in the drive outside their house.

Boats are so much more than just a collection of curiously shaped bits of wood, plastic, steel and sailcloth

I was sad to see Bede go and the bloke who sold me the Minstrel was sad to see his boat go.

Now I have come to expect a very high standard of writing on this forum....

The best on the web in my opinion

Dylan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dylanwinter1; 05-10-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Selling a boat - an emotional experience

I agree with your sentiments. The old saw about "the two happiest days of a boat owner..." never rang true to me. I never sold a boat that I didn't feel sad about saying goodbye.
I can contrast that with quite a few cars that I was really happy to unload.
Hays likes this.
Old 05-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
I agree with your sentiments. The old saw about "the two happiest days of a boat owner..." never rang true to me. I never sold a boat that I didn't feel sad about saying goodbye.
I can contrast that with quite a few cars that I was really happy to unload.

I had never understood that phrase - it seems hard hearted to me

always regretted losing every boat

Dylan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Well said dylan
Faster likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 05-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-sailer View Post
I didn't understand the saying either.... the day I bought mine I was nervous, exited, apprehensive, scared, and while working on her bringing her back from a musty old scow to a nice boat some days I could have set fire to her and other days I wanted to hug her.. now that she's done, how could I ever sell her?? I'm too attached now. I don't even want to think about watching her going down the road to someone else.
just one boat in a lifetime

makes me feel like a marine tart

14 and still counting

I think you need to change boats as your needs change

d

Old 05-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Well said dylan
Indeed.. nearly 8 years ago we sold a boat, one that will probably be my forever-favourite. We sold it to good acquaintances, the negotiations were extremely easy and civil, surveyed well, and I was totally unprepared for the emotional hit as we watched it being sailed away... We'd had 12 good years, poured countless hours and effort into updating and maintaining her (and as a result sold for pretty much what we'd paid 12 yrs earlier) it was very difficult watching her disappear.

We're back there now, considering making another change and I feel like a judas even considering selling this one.. go figure.
dylanwinter1 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-10-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

I posted on this subject here: Bittersweet back in March.

Here's the text (to save you looking):

"It was five years ago – almost to the day – that I first set foot on Northern Lights.

"I had been on a sailboat before, but I had never sailed. I had spent a lot of time on dive boats, looking across the water at those beautiful craft and fantasizing about, one day, joining that fraternity of mariners who relied on their skills in reading and riding the wind; not just goosing the throttle and turning the wheel. Now I was standing on the deck of what was to become my boat.

"Northern Lights is a 26’ sloop-rigged Nash. When I met her she was braced high in her cradle. Her sails and rigging were stowed for the winter. She looked forlorn and dreary as yachts do when on the hard. But, through the clutter and bleakness of winter storage, Northern Lights beauty shone through.

"I learned to sail on Northern Lights. She has a simple rig – not much in the way of fine sail trim adjustments. But I pushed her and she pushed back, and through it all she kept me safe. We journeyed together each summer: many miles of water passed under her keel. Finding secret hideaways and savouring our solitude, or rafting up with friends. Special times - anniversaries; birthdays – were celebrated; sunsets watched; stars counted; dreams revealed and realized. And fun! Lot’s of fun.

"Northern Lights introduced me to a passion that will be with me for the rest of my life.

"The desire to challenge ourselves is, I believe, a basic human trait. Once we have attained a level of comfort most of us strive to push forward, to reach the next plateau. So it is with me. I came to the decision that I was ready to learn new things, face new challenges, to hone the skills that I have developed in the years since I stepped aboard Northern Lights. With that in mind, we, my wife and I, came to the hard decision that we will be purchasing a larger boat.

"We have found, what we think a boat that will be suitable to our needs: combining the comfort of Northern Lights, with the seaworthiness and fine control that I am now ready for.

"We have put a conditional offer in, paid the deposit and booked the survey. Unless there is something amiss with the surveyors’ findings it should be a done deal.

"We are very excited about the prospect of the new boat, but this is tempered by what we know will be a sadness at the loss of our dear friend.

"My wish is that Northern Lights will provide the same joy and safe-passages to whoever is lucky enough to acquire her.

"Fair winds."
Faster and dylanwinter1 like this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 05-10-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

GREAT POST! I have never sold a boat...sold a few cars I LOVED and the last one I sold was a 1999 Carrera 4 that I did SOOOOO much customization from tires to interior that when it drove away with a new owner, I almost cried. Now my boat...LOVE IT...had it less than a year and didn't speak to the wife for a week when she "insinuated" we sell the boat and look for something else...

The previous owners of my boat are friends of ours. The only reason they sold a Santana 30 for DIRT CHEAP was because they found a Santana 35 for DIRT CHEAP. The economy was bad and deals were easy to find if you had the cash. So we bought the boat. Problem is the S35 is not ready to sail. Needs some work. My S30 is pretty much sorted and bulletproof. So while I am sailing 3 times a week, they are seeing me use their old boat. It must be hard. I have taken them out a few times, but that must be hard as well. I would HATE it if some guy drove up in my Porsche and said, "Wanna go for a spin?"...especially when their new boat isn't ready to sail yet.

Old 05-10-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith10 View Post
...The old saw about "the two happiest days of a boat owner..." never rang true to me..
Shortly after I bought my first boat two months ago, my wife and I went to a party. As we were leaving, someone said something to me about my new purchase, and another lady nearby, whom I didn't know, said, "I'm so sorry... you know what they say about the two happiest days in a boat owner's life."

I said, "No no, it's a sailboat."

She said, "Oh, well then congratulations!"
T37SOLARE likes this.
Old 05-11-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

I had to sell my last Cat 36 due to a divorce. This is the boat I had lived on and poured my heart (as well as blood & skin) into upgrading. I swear the day I took the buyer out for the seatrial it was the most magnificent sailing day I've ever had. The wind was perfect, the boat just danced, I was heartbroken. When I recovered financially, I went shopping to replace her. Opening the hatch of my current Cat 36, I was home again. Even the upholstery was identical. I said, "Wow, it's Deja Vu". And so, she is. They'll bury me in this boat.

Mike
S/V Deja Vu

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.