Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Join Date: May 2006
Thanked 99 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Passage planning - Indian Ocean
Just thought I would throw out an example of the kinds of things you have to consider when planning a long passage - in addition to things like pilot charts. We are leaving Brisbane in a few days to go to Darwin on the northern coast of Oz (a long way). Then we will go with the Indonesia rally for two months, as far as to Bali. From Bali we want to get to South Africa by late November. For the next part of this post you might want a map of the Indian Ocean at hand.
Option #1 - go to Mascarene Islands (Rodriquez then Mauritius) with stops at Christmas Island and Cocos-Keeling which are both Australian possessions. Problem: this means Aussie quarantine regulations and costs (they charged $330 for inspection in Brisbane). We also would have all sorts of food items bought in Bali seized and we would have to reprovision at Keeling Island. We have been told that costs are 2x that of mainland Oz and they are already much more than in North America. Decision - skip that one.
Option #2 - go from Bali to Chagos Archipelago which is at 5°S 72°E and apparently lovely. Before paying for this one (50 pounds a week), I did a last check with the anti-piracy folks and they are recommending that yachts do not go east of 78° and north of 12°S (the British govt is more conservative about this and recommend staying south of 15°S). Guess we are not going to Chagos then - no desire to be featured on the evening news. Decision - pass
Option #3 - go directly from Bali to Rodriguez (have to check to see if this takes us into pirate territory - may need a dogleg south. The rhumb line distance is 3082 nm. If the winds are as strong as suggested by the pilot chart we MIGHT be able to do this 20 days. We will have extra crew and could use the asymmetric more than is the case with just the two of us.
Anyway, that is the plan until the plan gets changed for some reason.
Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).