Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a ketch?

sailed all three and i find mine with full keel and sail plan make her MUCH easier to steer--MUCH less weather helm and DOES track better than any sloop or cutter i have sailed in 50+ yrs. i sailed only sloops until i found a ketch in sd i liked and sailed her for 10 months. i like this garden design even better than that devries lynch ketch i sailed many yrs ago. there is no comparison. ketch is IT.
i learned to sail on a 36 ft gaff rigged full keel sloop that was built in 1903 and sailed her from age 7. sailed many different kinds of sloops since then. i found the ketch rig more conducive to heavy weather sailing and comfort than any other sail plan i have sailed. i have yet to sail a schooner.
as for tracking--i can set my jib and mizzen and not need hands on wheel even sans autopilot for many minutes--she doesnt wander at all. with any of the sloops or cutters i have sailed, that was not so.
there is nothing like a garden ketch with a bone in her teeth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 05-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
sailed all three and i find mine with full keel and sail plan make her MUCH easier to steer--MUCH less weather helm and DOES track better than any sloop or cutter i have sailed in 50+ yrs
Ya-but, as Bob will probably point out in a second, not all ketches have full keels. Any manner of steering and helm could result depending on underbody and rig design.
Old 05-12-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

A full keeled anything tracks well. Sail plans and hull forms work in tandem, not exclusively from each other.
Old 05-12-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Zee:
Having spoken to Bill about the Formosa 41 I'm not sure I would give him the design credit for that boat. I think if you do some research on that design you'll find it was drawn by Bill Hardin's son, according to Bill Garden.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 05-12-2012

whoever designed the hardinngarde, is an excellent design and works awesome well..
yes i have sailed full keel sloops.a si stated earlier--i will still take a ketch over a sloop, fin or modified fin or full keel.

Old 05-12-2012
grumpy old man

Zee:
The history of yachts and their designers is very important to me. It's not about "whoever" for me. It's about giving the right designer credit for the boat. Designer's names are often thrown about too carelessly, mine included.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-12-2012

bob--i agre withthat--the sloop i was taught to sail as a kid was , when i was small, reported to have been built by herreschoff yard--when i was grown, i learned differently--was designed by clifton crane and built in a yard somewhere in new england.
would be great to actually KNOW who truly DID design garden ketches--and to let the leaky teaky garden ketch/ leaky teaky yacht club know the results--what year was the first one drawn and built?? which yards were used then, and the evolving history of yard usage...mine was built by formosa boat builders...many yards were used and are a few minor differences of no significance added to some. is of great interest to the group.

Old 05-12-2012
grumpy old man

Zee:
I think you could write a book on the history of that boat and the many yards that built it. But design credit should go to the son of Bill Hardin according to Bill Garden. Bill Garden has a lot of ketches to his legitimate credit but I would certainly never refer to them in a generic kind of way. Check out ZIA, a big Garden ketch. Check out Tatoosh, a slender canoe hulled Garden ketch. Then there is FOAM. Then comes SEAL. PIXIE is a great Garden ketch. And who could forget PORPOISE and the magnificent NORTH CAPE. But if you look at these ketches the one thing that truly stands out is that there is no such thing as a generic "Garden ketch". That was the genius of Bill. He explored all the edges of design.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-12-2012

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road

Ketches are great for maneuvering in tight quarters motor-less. it is forgotten art.
I wouldn't have a stayed ketch though - it is too complex.
Old 05-12-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Thanks, great responses. What about expense and maintenance? I assume they'd be more for a second mast?
Edit: Also, does size of the boat come into consideration?
Basically the costs are doubled in theory, but isn't usually reflected in the purchase price (of used); a sloop is a sloop and a ketch is a ketch. We recently had our sails cleans and repaired and the mizzen was half the price of the main and a quarter the price of the genoa. Again, it's about square footage when it comes to the canvas and the rigging as the mizzen's rigging is half of the main's. Size, in terms of length is less important than displacement where hull ratios define rigging type. Generally what one sees is that the heavier displacement boats have more sticks, which translates to more sail and power closer to the center of gravity; keeping in mind most hulls are fastest when closer to vertical. I've been on boats where cutter, sloop and ketch rigging were available on the same hull; the ketch sailed the best, especially when cruising. An example is the Gulfstar 50 CC, while being 50' is relatively light and sails just fine as a sloop, but came rigged for cruisering as a ketch.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.