Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
My dad came along for the ride. He also has no sailing experience. Was nice to have another person along to help out. I will be mostly single-handing in the future. Also had my friend shadow us in his pontoon boat just to be safe. Nice to have family and friends to help out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: I finally did it!

congrads on getting out there!!!! All that hard work seems to have paid off!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-13-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

Way cool! Sounds so much like my first sail, brings back memories (not all that long ago actually ). All the reading, searching for a boat for forever and finally getting a good little old boat. Then the first time out, raising the sails and just being like "Wow, this really does work! Look! We're moving!!!"

Ahh, thanks for that and best of luck with your sailing and your boat!
Old 05-13-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

I remember my biggest fear when first sailing, wasn't raising/trimming the sails...handling puffs....heeling over....it was stopping the boat.

Even now (only a year later) I practice stopping every time I'm out by pinching, turning in, or releasing the sheets.....I stop the boat and start at will. I usually aim for a buoy that I like to tack around, and instead pull up and stop...reach out and touch the buoy....then move on.

Oh....and remember:
Never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-13-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow1193 View Post
I was so pi$%ed! When i tried to take some pictures while i was actually SAILING my g#$%am phone wouldn't open the camera app. I took a video, of course that somehow didn't get saved. Was too busy with the sailing to mess with it. Will provide concrete proof tomorrow.
I believe you, although pictures will be nice.

I was in a similar situation a couple of weeks ago, returning to the water after almost 17 years (sailboats). Took the little boat out with my wife the first day as I was nervous about going alone, once I saw I could remember most everything I went back out on my own, never really had time to take pictures, I had a smile stamped on my face and it was great !!!

Congrats on your achievement !!!

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

Old 05-18-2012

Here ya go! Went out yesterday and had some good wind..
Attached Thumbnails
I finally did it!-2012-05-17_16-12-14_278.jpg   I finally did it!-2012-05-17_16-03-01_989.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

How do we know that's you sailing, and your boat?

You're gonna have to go do it again.....

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 05-18-2012

Joe, that was the best part of my day. Went downhill fast after that! Went back in to pick up a friend of mine. As i was heading toward the beach, into a pretty good headwind, my prop fell off my outboard. Didnt realize it at the time, of course, just had no power or steerage. Put the main back up and got her grounded in a little cove. Tied her off to the shore by driving my anchor into the beach. It was then i pulled the outboard up and discovered my problem.
With the boat safely anchored for the moment made some calls to get a prop. Prop is discontinued and unavailable for my early 80's merc. 4.5 horse. AWESOME. Got a ride with my friend back to the marina. Found a liveaboard with a dinghy that was willing to tow me back in to get her on the trailer. (Would have sailed back, but the last leg through the marina was dead into the wind.) As luck would have it, by the time we get back to the boat, tide is running out. She's stuck good and starting to list. We try pushing her off the sand. No good. I grab the jib halyard and walk out off the starboard beam. Pulled her over till the rail was in the water and with him pushing, we get her free. Wind was favorable, so i sail under main only back through the channel to the marina.
In keeping with the spirit of the day, my rescuer starts having issues with his dinghy motor. Keeps stalling. Ball is collapsing on the fuel line. AWESOME. We finally sort it out after an unplanned docking at a foreclosed home's dock (LOTS of those down here).
Finally get back to the ramp. I'm so fixated on getting her out of the water, i never even caught the guy's name. Pull her out of the water, start packing up. As i am dropping the mast, the mast gets jammed in the step and pulls itself right off the deck. AWESOME. I load my propless outboard and sails and rudder into my van and go drop her back off at my storage lot.

I LEARNED ALOT ON MY SECOND SAILING TRIP EVER. Never panicked, never got pissed, just dealt with the problem at hand and moved on to the next one. My friend even remarked that she was amazed how cool i was dealing with everything. I appreciated that alot. Ordered a new prop this afternoon- found a shop in NJ that has one in stock still (i hope). Can't wait to get back out. Guess my project isn't over yet!

STEVE
Old 05-19-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

I can identify; your Balboa is about the same size as my boat. I finally tested mine just a few days ago. I know how it feels to finally get it out on the water. The first time I went out I almost left my sails at home.
Old 05-19-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Wow...what a day eh? Lessons are starting early.....

Just get 'em out of the way so future trips will be trouble free!

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional