Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012

melee401 is on a distinguished road
Re: Seasick & Singlehanding

So you got a mighty ship and you want to prove that point by sailing on out into an oncoming hurricane and coming back with all those great stories and videos?
I'm available to crew,,,,I doubt you can afford me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2012

Oh seasickness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a few tumbles around the cabin or good stout joint takes care of that real quick
Pot smoking = no more "sea" sick.
Old 07-08-2012
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Well that was interesting.
msmith10 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I have suffered from seasickness almost every time I went on big water. in 2003 I bought seasick bands ($10 at West) which you wear on your wrists and have pressure points that work something like accupuncture. I also take Gravall which is available in Canada and the Bahamas over the counter but not in the USA. I wear the wrist bands all the time but only need to take the Gravall for the first day. It works far better for me if I take it an hour before heading out. Gravall does have side affects for some people.
At a boat show I saw a pair of glasses that were supposed to prevent seasickness. They had one lens on top of the the other. The outer lens had a horizontal line and rotated to give an artificial horizon. They probably did not work as I have not seen them anywhere since.
Old 07-08-2012

The only time I ever suffered from motion sickness was after being off the Carolinas for two weeks in heavy seas cutting circles in the Atlantic for no reason other then the fact that it was there to have circles cut into it. When I landed in Miami no sooner did I step onto the pier then it began. Thank God there was a bar close by because everything settled right down with that second beer.
And what I said about the pot heads was/is true. In over 40 years of sailing I have NEVER seen anyone sea sick and high on pot at the same time. So you have to figure either pot cures sea sickness or sea sickness cures pot smoking take your choice. I remember in particular one late season hurricane in the N Atlantic where us pot heads were tying the others into their racks with bed sheets and hanging buckets next to them. Next thing I knew we were up on the MAIN DECK scurrying about back and forth to a small obscure fan room whose only access was a hatch just aft of the main break. Timing was everything as the waves were literally rolling 4 feet high over the main deck and sweeping down it at a good 5 knots or better. Anyone on deck when the ship hit the ditches between the waves found a handhold real quick.
Nothing could be cooked, PBJs were the order of 3 days. I saw one poor guy who stood in line with the ship heaving 40+ degrees each way until he got to the stanchion in front of the salad bar where the peanut butter and jelly were put. Hanging with one arm wrapped around the stanchion he held his bread and carefully applied the time honored ritual. No sooner did he put the second piece of bread top off the thing then he was flung from the stanchion across the mess deck tripping up over a stool to land head first into the hull. He was dazed as could be. He finally stood up again and peering at the hull saw his PBJ sandwich neatly hanging onto the hull by its now forced oozing substance. It was at that point he once again realized he was sea sick as a dog and went back down below to his rack.
Meanwhile us weedheads had the munchies and the PBJ was ON baby!
IN short I have NEVER known ANYONE who NEVER got sea sick that did not smoke pot or take Dramamine, yech Dramamine,,,,,,ew. Makes me want to gag just thinking about taking that nasty crap.
Old 07-08-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

While smoking pot may prevent seasickness and probably does as it is prescribed to prevent nausea in cancer patience, it also impairs the smoker and I for one do not want to be at sea with nor near an impaired captain. Just as one would report a drunk captain one should report a captain who is high on weed.
Old 07-08-2012

While taking Clonopin, Paxil, and a boat load of other psych meds may make you no longer suicidal they in fact impact one's normal brain functions. Therefore any one on those substances should NEVER be allowed to a helm and if so found at one should be reported immediately to the AUTHORITIES.
You go after pot heads like the Brown Shirts on a Jew hunt pal.
I would NEVER want to sail with you. I've heard too many stories of your kind going missing off boats after dark.

Last edited by melee401; 07-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2012
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by melee401 View Post
While taking Clonopin, Paxil, and a boat load of other psych meds may make you no longer suicidal they in fact impact one's normal brain functions. Therefore any one on those substances should NEVER be allowed to a helm and if so found at one should be reported immediately to the AUTHORITIES.
You go after pot heads like the Brown Shirts on a Jew hunt pal.
I would NEVER want to sail with you. I've heard too many stories of your kind going missing off boats after dark.
While antidepressants can reduce cognitive function a little generally they improve cognitive function overall in someone depressed by alleviating the depressive component of the dysfunction. IOWs what little the med may reduce cognitive and motor function is usually well overcome by a return towards normal function as the patient becomes less depressed. Antidepressants are not classed as agents that cause psychomotor retardation or decreased thinking and motor ability.

The same is true of klonopin which is used for sleep and chronic anxiety. In small doses generally given at bedtime the small loss of function is overwhelmed by the distraction caused by anxiety which in some people can create major dysfunction. And generally the cognitive and motor dysfunction from those substances become less over time as the patient adapts to the medicine.

So not only should you NOT report anyone for use of these meds, you should be thankful for the development of medications to treat major depression and chronic anxiety. Over 60% of adults have a significant depressive episode at least once in their life. I suspect this figure is probably closer to 100% if you include normal grief reactions which clinically are the same as major depression. There was a time there were very very few medicines to combat depression and they often caused significant side effects.

The attitude you're displaying is archaic and reminiscent of attitudes decades ago although obviously not entirely gone.
Old 07-08-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

melee, I can't say that I've met any potheads at sea, I'm used to the "no smoking, and that means anything, on the boat" standard.

But since pot is prescribed to prevent the nausea from chemotherapy and other similar medical uses, there's a good bit of literature as to exactly which ingredients are anti-emetics and it should be no surprise that some pharmaceutical companies have been looking into weed that has active medical effects, without the recreational ones.

Of course the FDA still classifies pot as officially having no medical powers or purpose, despite the rxes they write to have it used as a drug, don't they? Hmmm...Same folks who took scop off the shelf and made it rx-only. And when they did that, I put an old curse on whoever made that great decision. That they should come to know the true meaning of ssesick. And, that all the camels in Egypt should trod across their leftmost toe. The Egyptians have some wonderful curses.
Old 07-08-2012

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Prevention is Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream sailor View Post
Ahoi All -just wondering, what do you do when you're singlehanding out at sea and you get seasick? Anone had this experience.
I spend 90% of my efforts into pre-sail prevention starting days before shoving off - well rested (early to bed-8+hrs) each night, no alcohol, well hydrated (water!!!), balanced meals - then the last two nights take OTC anti-seasick dramamine type med + ginger capsules - eat light breakfast before departure (cereal/banana)

Once away - I significantly limit time below, eat ginger (crystalized - yes sweet with sugar but it works) whenever I feel stomach rumbles, drink water regularly, might drink ginger ale too, eat small meals/snacks as day goes on, avoid diesel exhaust/fumes, if motoring.....oh yeah, music on is a good distraction

After a day or two, going down below is not an issue or any thing else usually. Sea legs in place.
Anxiety & stress (IMHO) play a role - but by doing the basics and having a well prepared sailing plan........fingers crossed

Last edited by Chuteman; 07-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.