Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road
Re: Seasick & Singlehanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
melee, I can't say that I've met any potheads at sea, I'm used to the "no smoking, and that means anything, on the boat" standard.

But since pot is prescribed to prevent the nausea from chemotherapy and other similar medical uses, there's a good bit of literature as to exactly which ingredients are anti-emetics and it should be no surprise that some pharmaceutical companies have been looking into weed that has active medical effects, without the recreational ones.

Of course the FDA still classifies pot as officially having no medical powers or purpose, despite the rxes they write to have it used as a drug, don't they? Hmmm...Same folks who took scop off the shelf and made it rx-only. And when they did that, I put an old curse on whoever made that great decision. That they should come to know the true meaning of ssesick. And, that all the camels in Egypt should trod across their leftmost toe. The Egyptians have some wonderful curses.
I'll remember that one. Here's an oldie goldie: May the Blue Bird of Paradise fly up your nose. Or may you owe the mafia a huge sum of money and have Howard Cosell do your funeral.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2012
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm.....that got a little hairy towards the end , especially when folks started airing their feeling about using pot to treat sea sickness . I was curious mostly about Hello Sailor referring to sea sickness as " one more reason not to single hand " . Is there a prejudice against singlehanding that I am unaware of ??? On topic though . I am so lucky to have never once suffered sea sickness . I've seen guys in the Bering Sea when I was young puke til they could no longer stand up for having strained the muscles in their abdomens heaving . If I had any propensity towards that illness , a boat is the last place you'd find me .

Last edited by kjango; 07-08-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: second thoughts
Old 07-08-2012

melee401 is on a distinguished road

My suggestion in very low weather is to this poviding you boat is outfitted for it.
Crawl beneath the netting that is attached to the bow sprit.
Go down below the first stay while hanging on to that and sit on the lower stay and drag your feet in the water while watching the bow seemingly come at you.
Man I love doing that on calm days.
Old 07-08-2012

kjango: most people end the thought of single handed about where their nose ends. The tissues needed to clean up anything beyond that length cost too much.
Too stupid to know that sea water cleans up boogers quicker then a shower does.
Old 07-08-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by melee401 View Post
While taking Clonopin, Paxil, and a boat load of other psych meds may make you no longer suicidal they in fact impact one's normal brain functions. Therefore any one on those substances should NEVER be allowed to a helm and if so found at one should be reported immediately to the AUTHORITIES.
You go after pot heads like the Brown Shirts on a Jew hunt pal.
I would NEVER want to sail with you. I've heard too many stories of your kind going missing off boats after dark.
It matters not what causes impairment, be it weed, prescription drugs, alcohol or whatever, impaired people should not be operating boat cars or any other heavy equipement. Our society has matured enough to ban such activities.
You want to be a pothead, I have no problem with that. Just don't operate a boat and it is totally irresponsible on your part to recommend others become impaired and do so.
Old 07-08-2012

Well then by your own acknowledgement people who are sea sick should be considered IMPAIRED beyond any semblance of the capabilities needed in judgement to be at the tiller.
I mean they are usually dehydrated to the point of being barely functional at best.
When we see such people at the helm we should dial 911 and report them as thier being the obvious immediate and present threat to society that they most obviously are right?
Old 07-08-2012
Go Cowboys

jobberone is on a distinguished road

If you're impaired then you should not drive or sail. There's a huge difference between taking Paxil and being impaired though.
Old 07-08-2012

I mean c'mon, you got someone puking beyond their own control at a tiller of a (name your size) vessel coming in from a hellish passage, so if some clearer weed head takes the helm and allows the one suffering to go below then the cops should be called ASAP right?
Old 07-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I guess it depends on your degree of impairment. Most of the individuals that I have encountered that were moderately seasick still had all their mental faculties.
Old 07-08-2012

OK jaberone,,,lets got to that Paxil thingie. I mean while we are all on out little witch hunt lets go there too.
FACT: More people have committed suicide trying to come off of Paxil then other drug known to man.
So these are the people who you want aboard your ship?