SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seasick & Singlehanding

12K views 98 replies 28 participants last post by  daydream sailor 
#1 ·
Ahoi All -just wondering, what do you do when you're singlehanding out at sea and you get seasick? Anone had this experience.

#4 ·
"You will not die from sea sickness,"
Actually, Simon, you CAN die from it. You can wind up rupturing part of your gut and bleeding internally, and it can become a fatal problem.
I you're simply disabled by seasickness, you can still die because there's no one running the boat and they don't all run themselves.

So...if you have meds you take them, and you really ought to have taken along meds and tried them beforehand to find out which ones work. If you've got no meds and you're really disabled, you hit the red buttons and bring in SAR, and write off your boat. (Another reason not to singlehand.)

Yes, it can be fatal. If you've never been that badly off--consider yourself lucky.

#6 · (Edited)
I do suffer quite badly from sea sickness, usually for the first 12, 24 hrs guaranteed if I haven't been at sea for a few months. I agree you can do some serious damage to yourself if you don't prepare, most problems seem to be around the esophagus. I don't take medication because I have always prepared for the onslaught, drink lots of water, water comes up quick and easy, once I have chucked I drink a sports bottle of water and sure as eggs about 15 min later up it comes, then I drink some more If you have something to bring up you don't end up straining or dry reaching as this is what can cause some of the rupturing. With the right mind set you can do what needs to be done around the boat and try to stay in the cockpit. But you must keep the fluids up if you bring up a litre then drink a litre. I have found that ripe bananas are excellent as they taste good going both ways.

#5 ·
As previously noted, prolonged sea/motion sickness can have fatal results due to dehydration et al. If one is prone to sea-sickness for other than a short period, one would be ill-advised to undertake the effort.

Fortunately, most people that suffer from sea-sickness usually recover within a short/moderate period as their bodies adapt. Some medications will moderate the effects but I wonder whether these also delay adaptation. In many cases, homeopathic remedies are as effective as drugs--i.e. Ginger et al and may have less side effects. Frankly, I also think some may mistake anxiety induced discomfort for sea-sickness but that too normally dissipates as/if one adapts. In any case, it would be wise for one to explore and understand one's own tendencies before setting off, no?

FWIW...

#8 ·
Can you define Purgative? When someone is in danger of severe dehydration would you add salt to their belly? Look up/Google "Colonoscopy, Preparations for".

#13 ·
Motion sickness can be fatal. But the chance of being suffering from seasickness is greatly reduced when you are soloing. It is becasue you are on the helm and busy and looking out to the horizon. That is why captain seldom gets sick while the crews are probe to be sick.

If you are worry about it, preventive medicine is the best. Take to pill before heading out. If it is a long voyage, fist three day med is sufficient. Once you sea leg is developed, you won't get sick until you are back on land - landsickness (especially while in shower).

#17 ·
I have never (famous last words) been sea sick but my brother, who sails w/ me sometimes, does. Crystallized ginger seems to work for him. As soon as he starts feeling queasy, he eats some and it seems to do the trick. I've experimented making my own but it's actually cheaper to just buy bags from on-line vendors. I also keep bonine motion sickness pills in the FA kit. Agree that keeping hydrated is essential in extreme vomiting situations and that dehydration is a real danger. A little salt does act to retain water.

#18 ·
I agree with Rockdawg-- in general I don't get seasick singlehanding, but I ALWAYS carry drugs with me to stop it just in case. I have been so seasick that I didn't give a s*** what happened to the boat-- I'd have jumped overboard to end it all if I had the strength to climb out of the cockpit. Fortunately I can write my own prescriptions. As he noted, Phenergan (prescription only) works well but is very sedating.
Zofran (also prescription only), generic name ondansetron, works just as well but is virtually nonsedating. In addition to pills and injectable, it comes in a sublingual form (put it under your tongue and let it dissolve) that doesn't require you to swallow a pill and therefore can be effective even when you can't keep a pill down. This has become my mainstay drug for myself or passengers if needed. Ask your doctor for a prescription for it.
The preventive drugs are fine (meclinizine, etc, although they're all sedating) but having something along to stop seasickness once it develops is priceless.

#20 ·
My understanding of OTC drugs for seasickness is you need to take them a day or two before you embark on a trip so you can acclimate & not feel like doing a 24 hour sleep fest.

I've never been seasick but have come close a couple of times out in the canyons fishing, (we'd stay the night) when spending too much time in the cabin. Once I got back in the cockpit, I snapped out of it.

I can't imagine spending a couple of days feeling like that & having to "run" the boat.

#22 ·
"My understanding of OTC drugs for seasickness is you need to take them a day or two before you embark on a trip so you can acclimate & not feel like doing a 24 hour sleep fest."
Not necessarily. Some drugs need only an hour to kick in. Some need longer. 24 hours would be a LONG TIME even for the scop patch, it doesn't need that long ot kick it but in 24 hours you'll certainly have time to find out about adverse reactions and side effects.

Some meds are available by suppository as well, and when all is said and done, if someone is puking and can't hold down any meds, a suppository is a great way to deal with that. The other alternative is to hold a pill under your tongue (again, if you can) and let it dissolve into the rich network of blood vessels in the mouth that way.

Results from NASA, who have tried everything, understand basic science (except for o-rings and metric system), and have some real big problems when their astronauts DO get motion sick (as many do) is that about 1/3 of the drugs/remedies work, abot 1/3 of the time, and there's no way to tell which one works for any one person.

You just have to try 'em and see what works for you. Preferably try them once, in the comfort of home, and if they don't make you howl at the moon, take 'em out and try them on the boat.

#23 ·
Zofran (ondansetron) is a really good anti-emetic, and as pointed out, comes in sublingual form. This is very handy on a boat when sick. It is also very expensive in this form. It can have extrapyramidal side-effects, especially in older folks, so I would recommend trying it out on land first. Scopolamine patch seems most effective when used ahead of time and would be my first choice. If not prone to seasickness, or don't know and don't want to put a patch on "just in case", zofran is a good one to bring along to use if you find out the hard way.

#25 ·
#28 ·
one is curious... from wiki

"The only, and quite simple way, to re-synchronize the signals is a conduct that will help our eyes to send the proper information of the movement.

First of all, try to sit outside. If inside, stay in a position where you can see through the windows on as many sides of the outside world as possible.

Focus on the horizon, turning the head repeatedly on both sides. Contrast the tendency of the eyes to focus on the objects nearby. Soon you will experience the alternate switching of the reference system from that of the ship, where this is still and the windows show moving pictures, to that of the outside world, in which the horizon is perfectly still and the contours of the ship, out of focus, move much like if you were standing on a huge surfboard.

If you can stabilize on this latter reference system, the disturbance will disappear almost immediately.

There are behavioral methods to help the synchronization of the senses, such as being fully aware of the movements of the boat and anticipating them. It may help to imagine you are actually driving the ship: put you hands on the front seat as if it were a steering wheel, and make the accompanying slight movements of the whole body. Avoid reading, watching TV, and even talking to neighbors. After some time, depending on the individual, the mind will be oriented, and it will be possible to resume all normal activities."

has anyone tried this?
alan

#29 ·
When I was in the U.S. Navy aboard a 760-foot heavy cruiser, there were times when nearly everyone onboard was seasick. This was the case in the North Atlantic during Hurricane Hazel. At times there were a couple dozen guys in sick-bay, strapped into their bunks with a trashcan tied to the stanchion to prevent it from moving away. Several had IVs in their arm to keep them hydrated. We didn't have anyone die, but we did have a couple sailors airlifted to a base hospital to recover, which sometimes took a week or more.

As for rupturing anything, it's pretty much impossible. Granted, if you have the dry heaves, it may feel like something is going to burst, but this is the result of esophageal spasms, which causes the person to wretch his or her guts out, while producing little or no stomach contents.

Dehydration is the main concern with seasickness. The best way of avoiding this is to keep yourself hydrated at all times. However, instead of gulping down a bottle of water, just take a few sips every five minutes or so, thus allowing the fluid, preferably water, to be metabolized into the system and not lay in the stomach. Ginger-ale and Coca-cola can provide you with other needed nutrients in the form of carbohydrates from the sugar content, plus has the added benefit of a soothing effect on the stomach. However, the carbonation adds gas to the stomach, which is not what you want to do to a person experiencing motion sickness. It's best to allow the soda to sit in an open container until most of the carbonation evaporates, and drink the contents ice-cold and flat. Far fewer problems, but not quite as tasty.

The vast majority of seasickness remedies are nothing more than potent antihistamines, and they usually work best when taken before motion sickness symptoms begin. Side effects, and they all have them, usually consist of dry mouth and drowsiness, but in some instances, the effects can be more severe. In rare instances, the side effects can be fatal, therefore it's best to consult a physician before taking any medication that you don't normally use.

I've been very fortunate in that I have never been seasick since I got out of the Navy. For some, unexplained reason, while aboard that massive ship, I heaved my guts out for several days, sometimes up to a week, before I got accustomed to the slow, rolling motion. Put me on a smaller boat and I'm fine. The one caveat to that is I cannot stand the smell of diesel. That seems to set things in motion and really makes me feel rotten while at sea. I don't think I'm alone with the diesel fume reaction, because everyone else I know has the same problem with diesel fumes.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

#32 ·
When I was in the U.S. Navy aboard a 760-foot heavy cruiser, there were times when nearly everyone onboard was seasick. This was the case in the North Atlantic during Hurricane Hazel. At times there were a couple dozen guys in sick-bay, strapped into their bunks with a trashcan tied to the stanchion to prevent it from moving away. Several had IVs in their arm to keep them hydrated. We didn't have anyone die, but we did have a couple sailors airlifted to a base hospital to recover, which sometimes took a week or more.

As for rupturing anything, it's pretty much impossible. Granted, if you have the dry heaves, it may feel like something is going to burst, but this is the result of esophageal spasms, which causes the person to wretch his or her guts out, while producing little or no stomach contents.

Dehydration is the main concern with seasickness. The best way of avoiding this is to keep yourself hydrated at all times. However, instead of gulping down a bottle of water, just take a few sips every five minutes or so, thus allowing the fluid, preferably water, to be metabolized into the system and not lay in the stomach. Ginger-ale and Coca-cola can provide you with other needed nutrients in the form of carbohydrates from the sugar content, plus has the added benefit of a soothing effect on the stomach. However, the carbonation adds gas to the stomach, which is not what you want to do to a person experiencing motion sickness. It's best to allow the soda to sit in an open container until most of the carbonation evaporates, and drink the contents ice-cold and flat. Far fewer problems, but not quite as tasty.

The vast majority of seasickness remedies are nothing more than potent antihistamines, and they usually work best when taken before motion sickness symptoms begin. Side effects, and they all have them, usually consist of dry mouth and drowsiness, but in some instances, the effects can be more severe. In rare instances, the side effects can be fatal, therefore it's best to consult a physician before taking any medication that you don't normally use.

I've been very fortunate in that I have never been seasick since I got out of the Navy. For some, unexplained reason, while aboard that massive ship, I heaved my guts out for several days, sometimes up to a week, before I got accustomed to the slow, rolling motion. Put me on a smaller boat and I'm fine. The one caveat to that is I cannot stand the smell of diesel. That seems to set things in motion and really makes me feel rotten while at sea. I don't think I'm alone with the diesel fume reaction, because everyone else I know has the same problem with diesel fumes.

Good Luck,

Actually Gary you can rupture your esophagus which is often fatal. Never seen a case of Boerhaave's syndrome but it happens from time to time.

#30 ·
Large percentages of crew being sick below decks on a large ship like a naval vessel, seem to add credence to allio's post that suggests that the surroundings and the perception of such determines whether you get a motion sickness reaction. I have always heard that keeping your attention on the horizon is a way to avoid sea sickness. I also know that the smells and sounds of a below deck area, like below decks on a dragger, induces sea sickness in many people. I wonder if individual mental perception of surroundings does not play a large role and whether the affliction is more mental than physical.

#31 ·
Alan I'm sure we've all tried sitting on deck and looking at the horizon and other head games. Psychology only goes so far, although some folks take hypnotherapy and say it helps too.

NASA did extensive research and their results are about the same. To avoid motion sickness? Sit under a tree.

#33 ·
There was quite a lot of talk last year about an incident where a yacht outbound from CA to HA had multiple problems including one crew who was in fact medevac'd with a ruptured esophagus after a couple of days of severe heaving.

If they'd pressed on to HA instead of turning back into medevac range, he'd have bled out and died.

#34 ·
In the 15 years I worked in medicine, primarily at University of Maryland Hospital and John's Hopkins Hospital, I only saw 2 incidences of Boerhaave's syndrome, both of which were successfully treated with surgical intervention. One of the patients was relatively old, I'm guessing in his late 60s, and had suffered from severe acid reflux for two decades, which likely caused esophageal erosion. In his case, the esophageal lining was so thin it was nearly impossible to suture. The second case, which was a relatively young lady, seemed to have no underlying cause, and she spent many, many weeks in intensive care after surgery due to secondary infections that had set in shortly after the esophagus leaked into the thoracic cavity. She claimed that it occurred when she coughed and she felt a horrible pain in her chest and abdomen. Unfortunately, it was not immediately diagnosed in the ER, which led to further complications.

Usually, but not always, Boerhaave's syndrome requires a significant amount of internal, esophageal pressure to cause the esophagus to rupture. When I person is seasick, at least from my own personal experiences, it doesn't take long to completely empty the stomach contents overboard. I believe it would be a bit difficult to build up a significant amount of internal, esophageal pressure, even when experiencing dry heaves, when the stomach is nearly empty. But, I guess anything is possible, especially when it comes to seasickness.

I would hope that if someone developed seasickness to the point where they were in imminent danger of dying, they would take appropriate action--even if it meant taking up another form of recreation on dry land.

Good topic,

#35 ·
It's a favorite bust your balls question to junior residents but it just doesn't happen very often. And yes often they get mediastinitis as well. I've just never seen it. Only ten percent of esophageal ruptures are from vomiting which is Boorhaves. About 60 percent is iatragenic and the rest like the older man.

I think in Boorhaves the mechanism of injury is excessive intraesophageal pressure with low intrathoracic. I have heard of rupture with vomiting in someone with a stricture.

I'll stop now before I bore people to death.

#37 ·
Man this the pee out of me,,,,,,surgical intervention to your throat in tact?
Having put down the proverbial 10 thousand hours at sea under some US Navy skippers who had to answer to fleet command who themselves are nothing more then political desk jockeys who know NOTHING about being at sea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and oh,,,,,,,,did I forget to mention my experience under sail inland and seaward?
I just luv the ones who enjoy sticking in your face.
Let me just short cut that matter to say that I have been on vessels both under sail and "power" where walking on the bulkheads at times were preferable to "passageways".
Nobody ikes being there unless thay are sickos like me who enjoy waving a tight fist to the sea and the heavens while hanging for dear life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.