SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Seasick & Singlehanding (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87369-seasick-singlehanding.html)

daydream sailor 05-14-2012 11:14 AM

Seasick & Singlehanding
 
Ahoi All -just wondering, what do you do when you're singlehanding out at sea and you get seasick? Anone had this experience.

sea_hunter 05-14-2012 03:16 PM

I'm always inspired by the NH motto; "Live free or Die"

SimonV 05-15-2012 10:18 AM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
You will not die from sea sickness, drink a cup of water each time you up chuck, keep a bucket handy and just get on with it. It will pass.

hellosailor 05-15-2012 04:30 PM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
"You will not die from sea sickness,"
Actually, Simon, you CAN die from it. You can wind up rupturing part of your gut and bleeding internally, and it can become a fatal problem.
I you're simply disabled by seasickness, you can still die because there's no one running the boat and they don't all run themselves.

So...if you have meds you take them, and you really ought to have taken along meds and tried them beforehand to find out which ones work. If you've got no meds and you're really disabled, you hit the red buttons and bring in SAR, and write off your boat. (Another reason not to singlehand.)

Yes, it can be fatal. If you've never been that badly off--consider yourself lucky.

svHyLyte 05-16-2012 10:15 AM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daydream sailor (Post 870966)
Ahoi All -just wondering, what do you do when you're singlehanding out at sea and you get seasick? Anone had this experience.

As previously noted, prolonged sea/motion sickness can have fatal results due to dehydration et al. If one is prone to sea-sickness for other than a short period, one would be ill-advised to undertake the effort.

Fortunately, most people that suffer from sea-sickness usually recover within a short/moderate period as their bodies adapt. Some medications will moderate the effects but I wonder whether these also delay adaptation. In many cases, homeopathic remedies are as effective as drugs--i.e. Ginger et al and may have less side effects. Frankly, I also think some may mistake anxiety induced discomfort for sea-sickness but that too normally dissipates as/if one adapts. In any case, it would be wise for one to explore and understand one's own tendencies before setting off, no?

FWIW...

SimonV 05-16-2012 11:58 AM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 871460)
"You will not die from sea sickness,"
Actually, Simon, you CAN die from it. You can wind up rupturing part of your gut and bleeding internally, and it can become a fatal problem.
I you're simply disabled by seasickness, you can still die because there's no one running the boat and they don't all run themselves.

So...if you have meds you take them, and you really ought to have taken along meds and tried them beforehand to find out which ones work. If you've got no meds and you're really disabled, you hit the red buttons and bring in SAR, and write off your boat. (Another reason not to singlehand.)

Yes, it can be fatal. If you've never been that badly off--consider yourself lucky.

I do suffer quite badly from sea sickness, usually for the first 12, 24 hrs guaranteed if I haven't been at sea for a few months. I agree you can do some serious damage to yourself if you don't prepare, most problems seem to be around the esophagus. I don't take medication because I have always prepared for the onslaught, drink lots of water, water comes up quick and easy, once I have chucked I drink a sports bottle of water and sure as eggs about 15 min later up it comes, then I drink some more If you have something to bring up you don't end up straining or dry reaching as this is what can cause some of the rupturing. With the right mind set you can do what needs to be done around the boat and try to stay in the cockpit. But you must keep the fluids up if you bring up a litre then drink a litre. I have found that ripe bananas are excellent as they taste good going both ways.

daydream sailor 05-16-2012 03:55 PM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
someones advised was to drink sea salted water, dont know what kind of remedy this would be.

svHyLyte 05-16-2012 08:25 PM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daydream sailor (Post 871934)
someones advised was to drink sea salted water, dont know what kind of remedy this would be.

Can you define Purgative? When someone is in danger of severe dehydration would you add salt to their belly? Look up/Google "Colonoscopy, Preparations for".

Cruisingdad 05-16-2012 08:36 PM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daydream sailor (Post 871934)
someones advised was to drink sea salted water, dont know what kind of remedy this would be.

That person that advised you wasn't like an ex-wife or something? Right? (snicker)

I will sometimes suggest a coke or ginger ale. The bubbly helps. Ginger helps my wife, as does pepermint. I cannot stand it.

Phenegren works ok but will knock you on your butt. We carry scopolamine patches but they need to be put on before hand. Also, scope will screw up your vision (it does mine at least).

Brian

Cruisingdad 05-16-2012 08:37 PM

Re: Seasick & Singlehanding
 
btw, I am going to move this to a different (more apporpriate) forum.

Brian


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012