Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets see your boat pets

Is it true that when a cat goes swimming in salt water one must rinse them in fresh water so the salt doesn't damage their kidneys? Not sure we are going to take our Siamese with
us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2012
more JOY everywhere!

Jane.Joy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Is it true that when a cat goes swimming in salt water one must rinse them in fresh water so the salt doesn't damage their kidneys? Not sure we are going to take our Siamese with
us.
Isabel's "swim" was in the Chesapeake - we didn't rinse her off but towel-dried her as much as she would let us. Later, Percy took a "swim" in the Sea of Abaco. I locked us both into one of the heads and used a warm soaking-wet washcloth to give him a fresh water "sponge bath" - he was thrilled as you might imagine! - I think I got most of the salt off. I hadn't heard about the potential for kidney damage, but figured all the salt probably wouldn't be good for him, or at least it wouldn't taste very good. (They both spent over an hour grooming after their respective dunkings.)

There's no doubt that bringing the cats has caused us a lot of bother and aggravation (speaking on behalf of ALL crewmembers, feline and human). But for us, it would have been akin to leaving children behind (and I've heard THEY're quite bothersome, as well!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-17-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Med- Bingo! Newcastle Is./Nanaimo

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-17-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
CruisingDad - I see you're in Florida....how does Fatty handle the heat spending the day on the boat?

My brother had bulldogs...during the worst of our Texas summers they stayed inside unless going out to do their business.

I'm considering a bulldog myself, but the heat is a concern.
I was in Texas with Fatty too. Short story is we keep her in the A/C or cool. Lots of water. She loves to swim so that helps also. But when it is really hot, we crank the generator if not at the dock.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-17-2012
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Ok I have to know where does the cats go to litter box at??
He has a litter box he uses and it does not smell at all. If we have no guests on board the box resides in the port quarter berth. The expression "clean as a cat" is true!

Rik, Linda and Capt. Hook
Old 05-17-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

This is Moriarty, my Chocolate Lab and1st mate of KIVALO. Best $400 I have ever spent.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets see your boat pets-lake-ontario-023.jpg  
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 05-17-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

my bubba

he stays onboat, goes where i sail--has 10,000 miles under tail sailing.
rikhall likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 05-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
us.
I've heard this, but I don't believe it anymore. Cats in the wild hunt for fish in salt water, and occasionally fall in. I don't think they all died.

For the 6 years I had my first boat my cat Demon had her own cat door that was never locked. She came and went as she pleased, and she went overboard at least once a year. Problem was, because I was working 12-48hr ambulance shifts all the time, I don't actually know how often she went overboard. The once a year was only as often as I knew of because I was home.

Twice I took her into the shower and rinsed her off because of fear of salt ruined kidneys. Twice, I replaced my shower curtain (not a coincidence).

Now that I work in medicine I now know that salt DOES NOT harm the kidneys. Indirectly, high salt intake, over years, with untreated high blood pressure can harm the kidneys and heart, but salt in and of itself does not hurt the kidneys one bit. Since the kidneys are arguably THE most complex organ in the body you might have to just trust me on this one, but if you're a sucker for punishment and want to see how really, really, high concentrations of salt are actually essential for kidney fuction, just Google "loop of henle".

MedSailor
rikhall and Captainmeme like this.
Old 05-18-2012
sanding bunny

latitudes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to latitudes

We have not had any dunking incidents but we do strap Patrick into his self inflating vest when we're at sea. Critter's Inflatable® - Index
Attached Thumbnails
Lets see your boat pets-izziesm.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012
more JOY everywhere!

Jane.Joy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by latitudes View Post
We have not had any dunking incidents but we do strap Patrick into his self inflating vest when we're at sea. Critter's Inflatable® - Index
Cannot even IMAGINE what my cats would do to me if I tried to put them in a PFD. Blood dripping everywhere, eyeballs hanging out of sockets...