Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012

RMISailing is on a distinguished road
Re: Chartering out of Rock Hall: advice, please

I actually have chartered with the folks at South River Boat Rentals for several years and have found them to be extremely accommodating. It's a quick trip out from the river to the Bay and all points from there. I would call and ask for Griff Bell directly - he has helped us out time and time again.

We actually did a very similar trip and I wanted to get my crew ready before heading to Greece for a charter. Worked out great.

Best of luck and enjoy!

JSL
"May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

So, what's the best way to avoid crab pots?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-18-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
So, what's the best way to avoid crab pots?
Don't sail at nite.

Ooops, I am not supposed to answer this. I withdraw my answer.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-19-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Based on RockDAWG's comment above somewhere I went back and read through the entire thread. I really don't want to contribute to a contest so let me focus on Rick's initial question.

Rick - from what I understand you shouldn't have a big issue with the C36. The ACOE is dredging the hump into Rock Hall harbor which would otherwise be your biggest issue. At and around docks neutral is your friend. Watch the wind and current. You'll be fine. If you have any lingering concerns please feel free to call me. I'm flying to Ft Lauderdale tomorrow morning to bring a J/42 up to Norfolk but you can reach me through the end of the day tomorrow. I should be back in cell range between mid Thursday and early Friday. 443-327-9084.

The bigger boat will have more inertia, so too much speed can mean more damage. At the same time you need enough speed to have good flow over the rudder. Maybe when you get to Annapolis we can hook up for a couple of hours in my boat handling and maneuvering range and walk you through the issues. Let me know if you are interested in doing that.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 05-19-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Unecessary
Old 05-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I am going back and deleting all of the non-ontopic threads. I would have done it a lot earlier if I had seen it but had not read this thread. Everyone take a deep breath and walk away from this thread if not directly on topic.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I do not know the area, but I have sailed a 250 (owned one) and a 36. You will love the 36. It is very easy to manuever, even easier than the 250. She is fun to sail and under motor will literally turn within her own wake. You will have no problems, except the nagging urge to upgrade!!!

Go enjoy it and put some pics back up here! Can't wait to see them.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am anchored in Swan Creek tonight rafted up with friends from MYC. Depths coming in were 7-8 ft at mid tide so as long as you follow the marks you should have no problem. Have marina give you the marks from there up to Swan Creek entrance.from there you will be fine.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerryda1 View Post
...Warning: Do watch the weather. The summer storms on the Chesapeake are everything you’ve heard about and then some. They can blow in very, very quickly. Make sure you have a Smartphone or computer that can handle the graphics of a weather web site and check the Doppler radar constantly....
I have no 3G access for phone or computer, just a woefully obsolete Nextel Blackberry with very slow service. But I was able to tweak the settings to give me a nicely formatted doppler radar image, which I have bookmarked and pull up frequently from the boat:

You can actually tweak this with your own lat/lng, zoom level, and screen resolution to customize it for your own location and device. Just change the appropriate settings below and paste into the browser of your phone, tablet, or computer:

mapserver.weather.com/MapServer/map?lat=39.372054&lng=-75.999915&zoom=8&h=210&w=315&layers=radar

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 06-06-2012

Our charter date is approaching, and I've started to plot out a few potential routes based on your suggested itineraries. This has me really excited.

One area where I could use some guidance is diesel operation. I've never actually used one, since all my boats are gas outboards, although I have quite a bit of fundamental understanding from an engineering perspective. I'm also familiar with prop walk and other maneuvering tricks for an inboard, but the specifics of how to start/shut down a diesel (glow plug do's and dont's, fuel line shutoff, warmup time, opening/closing the cooling water intake) and other details are all new to me. I don't really have time to take a whole course on diesel maintenance, so is there some URL or other source I could go to for some quick how-to's on this topic?

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post

One area where I could use some guidance is diesel operation. ... I don't really have time to take a whole course on diesel maintenance, so is there some URL or other source I could go to for some quick how-to's on this topic?

Thanks!
The charter company should go over that with you. They should schedule an hour before they hand over the boat to go over all the systems on the boat, including operation of the engine (everything that you mentioned). When we chartered in the BVI we were told to run the engine one hour in the evening and one hour in the morning to charge the batteries and keep the refrigerator operating.

It kind of depends on the engine and how well it has been maintained. Just like in the gas engine you check the oil and other fluids, make sure the seacock is open, etc.

On our old engine we had to hold the glow plug button for 30 to 90 seconds (depending on how she was feeling) before starting the engine and then let it warm up for a long time. With our new engine, no glow plug to deal with so far and less of a warm up time. On our old engine, the glow plug was a button to push and hold. On the new, it's a turn of the key to that setting. So, it depends.

To stop the engine there will be a "Stop" button to push and then you turn the key to the off position. Very important to push the stop button first.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne