Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Chartering out of Rock Hall: advice, please

Yesterday I learned that my wife is not needed to chaperone my youngest son's church trip next month, so she suddenly has a week of unplanned free time. I've been wanting to charter ever since getting my current boat 2 years ago, so this looks like a great opportunity. I spoke to Haven Charters, and the smallest boat they have that week is a Catalina 36. It's a little bigger than we need, but I can live with that. My only concern is whether it is bigger than we can handle. I'm 95% sure that none of our older kids will join us, so it's just the two of us. We're both in decent shape, and have plenty of daysailing hours and a couple overnight mini-cruises in our Catalina 250.

If I pull the trigger on this, I'll have other questions, since I have a lot to learn about cruising destinations on the Chesapeake, but right now my question is just how concerned should I be about us double-handing a boat as large as the C36?

One other option would be to take our own boat through the C&D canal down into the Bay, but it's two days each way to Rock Hall, and we only have about 5 days total, so I think using Rock Hall as our starting point, with a larger boat for comfort, is a better option.

Advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Chartering out of Rock Hall: advice, please

If I have to spend the money for chartering, I would go to further away from home water (delaware river). Fly down to Miami or at least southern end of the bay, hampton, deltaville etc. The water is cleaner and more pleasant to look at.

As for sailing a bigger than your own boat, the bigger the boat, easier to sail. It really does not take much time to get used to. Half hour motoring around the buoy with reverse, and a few figure eight with sails up, you should be good to go. If you can get a furling main, it is a lot easier. I would not want to own one, but for chartering is perfect.

If going to rock hall or Annapolis, I would take you own boat. Save the money for many nice dinners in town. Chartering is a pain in Azz for the first time, I would pass.

YMMV, You will have fun either way.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-16-2012

RhodesSwiftsure is on a distinguished road

My first charter was in the BVI's and was exactly 36 feet. I recall being very nervous at the time. It was a cakewalk.

Something like a Catalina 36 is a great charter boat. They get so much use that the fuel systems are clean, which means the motors are generally very reliable. As long as you have basic motoring skills, you really can't go too far wrong. A well behaved inboard is really much easier to handle than an outboard.

Sailing a 36 versus a 25 is actually somewhat easier. Nicer motion, bigger cockpit, etc.

Have a great trip.

- LP
Old 05-16-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I looked into this a while back and while the place in Rock Hall is top notch from what I hear, I thought they were a bit expensive.
I found a place on the South River, just south of Annapolis, that has smaller (and necessarily cheaper) boats for charter: Annapolis Boat Rental Fleet and Rates for Powerboats and Sailboats | South River Boat Rentals
I have never actually chartered with either so I can't comment on their qualities.

As for anchorages you will find many. If you like nature then head for the eastern shore to the Wye River and/or St. Michaels.
There is a pretty nice hurricane hole in Harness Creek right off the South River that has parkland all around.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Rick,

Knowing you I would say that your Charter in Rock Hall will fit you and Lori perfectly. It will give you a great experience to handle a little larger boat wich you should have no problem with at all after a bout and hour on her you will feel comfortable.

The company you are chartering with has a great reputation also. I would not agree with Rockdawg at all about the Chesapeake and hat it would hold for you as I beleive that it truly wouyld be the next step in your sailing repetoir and I would try it and get some experience and confidence before venturring offshore. You wont have to spend multiple hours getting there as you would going to Miami or other areas. Rock Hall is a great place to go from. KNowing you sailing patterns I would say its a great decision and a 3 hour ride ride from home.

Quote:
The water is cleaner and more pleasant to look at.-Rockdawg
Unless you are sailing up to Inner harbor this is an untrue statement. Some of the Rivers such as the Chester, Wye and further north Worton Creek are pritsine, swimable and dont have the nettles ( jellyfish) you would encounter south of Rock Hall. Also the wildlife such as the blad eagles onthe Wye ARE something to look at.

There are great places in a days sail from Rock Hall to go to. Annapolis, St Michaels, Chester River ( Greys Inn, Langford, Cackaway, and the Corsica, the Magothy ( Eagles nest, Broad Creek), The West/ Rhode River south of the bridge. Not to mention Worton Creek, Still Pond, and the Sassafrass north of Rock Hall.

I think its a great choce for you guys. The C36 has good amenities also. We could even hook up on one of the days. PM me with particulars (dates) as well and well discuss when you come to the Rondevous on June 9 at MYC. I have the charts and others there will be from Rock Hall where you are chrtering from such as DFeron and MGMhead ( he has a C38 and keeps it in Harbor Haven where you will be chartering I think.

Good choice.

Dave
DRFerron likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-16-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

First, with your sailing experience you should have no problems double handing a C36. 90% of our sailing is just my wife and I.

Now, I get a bit more conflicted when it come to location as there are a lot of great destinations you could visit from Rock Hall or the southern bay (Deltaville) in a weeks time. That said, weekdays on the upper bay are far nicer than weekends in terms of powerboat traffic, so if you plan your itenerary carefully you can avoid most of the traffic that detracts from my enjoyment of the mid bay area.

If you decide you would like to head further south for your charter let us know and I can suggest some places to visit down that way.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 05-16-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Gratitude Yachting Center charters Island Packets. I'm in the marina where they keep their boats and there is an IP28 that is kept in the slip next to mine. It doesn't go out very often, probably because it's on the smaller size, so there's an option if the 36 is too daunting.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 05-16-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice - please keep it coming.

We do want to charter in BVI, and this would be sort of a "dress rehearsal" for that. I realize that we could just ditch the "rehearsal" and head down south right now. However, we do not have a full week - only 5-6 days - and we have no ability to extend this because we need to be home when my son leaves and returns on his trip. So with such a limited time, transit time becomes an issue, and Rock Hall (or Annapolis) would be a good charter spot. Also, since my wife has never spent more than 2 nights on a boat, it will give her a chance to see how she likes it before heading to a more exotic location. I know she is nervous about what to do in a lightning storm, so there are a few things to work through on this trip.

Even more importantly, this becomes a "dress rehearsal" for a future home port and future boats. I've told many people that we would keep our boat in the Bay, but job and family responsibilities keep us from making the drive, so we stay in the Delaware for now, where we can be at the boat in <15 minutes. That will change in the future as kids move away, so this is a great opportunity to "test the waters" down there, as well as see what it would be like having a larger boat. We'll come away with a good idea of what we want to do regarding boat ownership and siting a few years down the road.

I just ordered the
Amazon.com: Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay 2012 Edition (9781884726170): Staff of Chesapeake Bay Magazine: Books Amazon.com: Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay 2012 Edition (9781884726170): Staff of Chesapeake Bay Magazine: Books

, so that will get us off to a good start.

One other question I have regards the necessity for a dinghy on this trip. The charter place does not generally provide them (one rental might be available first come first served), but they say that most of the ports have water taxis, and anchorage sites are generally bordered by private land that don't want dinghies coming ashore. Is this good advice (we'll be chartering M-F, not on the weekend), or should I be looking to borrow/rent/buy a dinghy for this trip? (Take Five is kept in a slip, and do not currently do enough cruising to justify a permanent dinghy.)

Another question that I have regards visiting yacht clubs. Since my club is part of the CBYCA a few of those might be good destinations.

Dave - I just learned last night that my sister in law is visiting the weekend of June 9. Without getting into the stereotypical "in-law issues," suffice it to say that our ability to make it to your event is jeopardized. I'll post a note over there when it's more certain. But for now, it looks like I may not have a chance to get your advice face-to-face.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-16-2012

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

My very first sailboat was a Catalina 380. My wife and I became very comfortable sailing it, so someone with a bit of sailing experience should be able to handle a 36 with ease.

We are going to be moving our 41 to Rock Hall next week. I did extensive research before choosing RH and it would seem to me like an ideal place to start a week vacation.

Btw, there is a very sweet, brand new, loaded, Catalina 445 called Sail's Office that's just been put into charter there. I know, 'cause I was looking at it hard before buying the 41....

Have fun!
Old 05-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

RD,

Although we're in PA, we are west of you so do not have to travel on anything other than back roads to get to Rock Hall. You'll probably have to hop onto I-95 for part of the trip if you don't want to take Route 1 south. For us, having to get onto I-95 is one factor keeping us from considering the Western Shore.

That said, Rock Hall is a great town. We even have our own ghost that haunts a former elementary school. It's true because it is documented in the town council meeting minutes.

The Chesapeake Bay Magazine book is a good resource.

We have gotten along fine without a dinghy. Eventually we will get one but it isn't too high on the list right now. St. Michael's and Annapolis both have water taxis. If you head north and up the Sassafras I understand that there is a dinghy taxi in Georgetown that is free. Usually if we find we want to sail to a town that we want to explore we just get a slip for the night. Otherwise, when anchored out we settle in on the boat and just enjoy being on the water. Wildlife and scenery are the perfect entertainment.

We just returned from a BVI charter. I don't think it can compare to chartering on the Bay but I understand your dress rehearsal approach. In many ways it was a lot easier down there. On the other hand, we were on moorings or anchored most nights so a dinghy was absolutely necessary because we went ashore for dinner. Not so on the Bay.

Maryland Yacht Club (two hour sail from RH) is a member of CBYCA and has transient rates for members. So does Miles Yacht Club in St. Michael's. I have had good experiences making arrangements through both of them.
chef2sail likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne