SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Barbecue etiquette (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87460-barbecue-etiquette.html)

TQA 05-16-2012 11:23 AM

Barbecue etiquette

We were tucked up in the anchorage in Deshaies, Guadeloupe, with a sundowner to hand when I suddenly noticed a floater in my G & T. Closer examination showed it to be a shred of burnt paper or something similar. A wider examination showed that the entire boat was covered by greasy shreds of burnt something or other. Yes the boat upwind was having a barbecue. I don't know what he was burning but we were getting the fallout.

What should be my next move?

If it makes any difference He anchored after I did.

sea_hunter 05-16-2012 11:33 AM

Wait till the tide shifts, then empty your holding tank( s) or leave your spreader lights on all night of better, your cockpit VHF.

Barquito 05-16-2012 11:38 AM

Re: Barbecue etiquette

Are you sure it was his BBQ? Maybe it was a fire on shore.

tjvanginkel 05-16-2012 12:19 PM

Perhaps your first move should have been to open a discussion with the other boat. They may have been quite willing to move if they were aware that they were showering your boat with barbeque residue. Most people would not do something like that on purpose.
Regards,
Tanya

Jetexas 05-16-2012 12:36 PM

Maybe he/she was burning photos of their ex-lover and needs someone to drink with ...

Or maybe I'm just always up for drinking the neighbor's booze.

DRFerron 05-16-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 871832)
We were tucked up in the anchorage in Deshaies, Guadeloupe, with a sundowner to hand when I suddenly noticed a floater in my G & T. Closer examination showed it to be a shred of burnt paper or something similar. A wider examination showed that the entire boat was covered by greasy shreds of burnt something or other. Yes the boat upwind was having a barbecue. I don't know what he was burning but we were getting the fallout.

What should be my next move?

If it makes any difference He anchored after I did.

Probably, the "rule" where the next boat (in this case the BBQ boat) should be the one to move would be correct.

On the other hand, I thought about what I would do in your situation and I think if there was room to move upwind of the BBQ boat, I'd end up moving to save the potential aggravation (while one of us swept the deck as we motored by). I'd confront the other boat only if there was no other place to go. But, that's just me.

Bilgewater 05-16-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetexas (Post 871880)
Maybe he/she was burning photos of their ex-lover and needs someone to drink with

I would be careful with that.

(how do I insert a quote with an iPhone???) Quote: "A wider examination showed that the entire boat was covered by greasy shreds of burnt something or other."

I suspect she was burning her ex lover. Either way...she would require a new drinking partner and possible lover. Risky.

Tim R. 05-16-2012 01:24 PM

Move upwind. Then you will not get woken up in the middle of the night when they drag down on you.

KindOfBlue 05-16-2012 07:42 PM

This is one of those situations where you can move, deal with it and/or tell him about it. I hope it's safe to assume that the guy was not doing anything on purpose, other than cooking some BBQ.

Don't go sweeping your deck as you go by in hopes that he can put 2 and 2 together. That's pretty much passive aggressive. If you want to let him know what happened, just tell him. If someone told me this happened to them while I was BBQing, I would think twice about neighboring boats and be more careful.

The comment about letting go of the holding tank is ridiculous. Don't ever do that.

It doesn't make any difference who anchors first. There are no dibs on anchoring spots and surrounding waters. Anchor a safe distance away and you are as equal as the next guy.

Cruisingdad 05-16-2012 08:31 PM

What the heck was he BBQ'ing? That poor boy needs to spend a little time reading my BBQ threads on Sailnet...

Probably wasn't anythin you could do at that point. Enjoy the sunshine and the water. The mess was already there so it wouldn't have solved anything to make a stink about it. I doubt he did it on purpose. But rest assured that his meal, if it was stinking smoking that bad, was not very palatable!

Brian