Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012

rejjr7 is on a distinguished road
Last sail as a single man! Can you help??

I wasn't sure where to post this, and this forum seemed harmless enough, please feel free to move this post if its misplaced.

I'll get right to it. I'd like to use your sailboat for a weekend in exchange for money, services, work on your sailboat, etc.

The backstory:
I've owned sailboats for a long time. Started out with a 1972 Aquarius 23 and for every hour I sailed her, I worked on her for five. Then a 1975 O'Day 27 and the work sailing ratio went down to 2:1. Finally I fell in love with a 1981 Allmand 31 and got to experience a boat that only needed to be worked on for the joy of working on boats, not to keep her afloat. Unfortunately, the Allmand was owned as part of a three way partnership and when your two partners lose interest in sailing (how is that even possible right?) then you are forced to either buy them out (which I couldn't afford at the time) or sell the boat. Therefore, I am currently in search of my next dream boat. I think I'll probably be in a position for solo boat ownership by next year, and I can't wait.

There's more backstory. During all the time I've been sailing, I've tried to get a very good friend of mine out for more then a couple hours. He shares my love of sailing but his experience (I always told him) is woefully incomplete if he never spends a couple evenings out on the water, or at some unfamiliar port. But as it usually happens when you have two very busy people, our schedules never aligned, or when they did, the weather interfered (hurricane!) So we always said, we'll try again later. Now the time has come! My friend is getting married, and he has asked me to be his best man. I can think of no better surprise for him before he gets married then to take him out on the water for a couple days but there's just one problem... no boat. Timing has never been our friend.

About me:
I am 28 years old, happily married and I love sailing. If you would consider letting me use your sailboat I would happily provide a copy of my driving record which shows no tickets. I am a responsible person, I don't drink excessively and I have a high respect for other people's property. I'm not interested in testing the limits of your vessel or dipping the rails, I'm looking for a couple days of cool breezes and beautiful scenery spent with good friends.

The boat I am looking for:
A monohull or catamaran between 28' - 36' with standing room in the cabin. Clean enough to enjoy a meal below decks.

The trip I'd like to take:
I have sailed out to Tangier Island a half dozen times and love the place and the people. My ideal trip would be three nights, one spent at Tangier, one at Smith Island, and one at some port along the way, maybe solomons island. These are all places that I am familiar with, have sailed in many times, and enjoy going. If perhaps your boat is too remote from these places then I can change the itinerary. The group would be myself and my friend, plus two others.

What would you receive in exchange:
For starters, your boat would get a big cleaning before we used it (if it needed it) and a big cleaning after as well.

As far as compensation goes we could do any number of things. Straight up cash is an option, although its not my favorite. Is there a project that needs done on your boat? Maybe you'd like a cockpit shower installed? A MP3/stereo system with marine speakers? A nice new stainless steel Magma grill installed out on the rail for summer barbecuing? I am very handy and would love to tackle any one of these projects! Maybe you'd just like a number you could call to have me come give you a hand with sanding the brightwork on deck or pressure washing and scrubbing under the waterline when you haul her at the end of the season. I would love to do any of these things or maybe there's something you have in mind that I haven't mentioned. Let me know! Send me an email and we'll see what we can work out.

Bottom line. If you'll allow a capable and responsible person to borrow your girl for a couple days when you aren't planning on using her anyway, you could get some great benefits in return!

PM me, or email at rejjr7@gmail.com

-Ralph
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Last sail as a single man! Can you help??

There are quite a few charter companies on the Chesapeake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-17-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Essentially what you're asking is for a private boat owner to turn over his or her boat to a complete stranger so that he can have a three-day bachelor party. Your offer of money is a nice gesture but possibly illegal if I'm not a licensed captain or charter company.

I wouldn't get my hopes up that this will happen but I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 05-17-2012

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

Being my usual smart a%% self I was gonna suggest if you really want to help him......just take him sailing and NEVER return.
xymotic likes this.
Old 05-17-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

My boat is available *free to anyone who asks, use it as long as you like.

Pm if interested OP.

*50 thousand dollar cash deposit required.
chef2sail and BentSailor like this.
Old 05-17-2012

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road

Maybe somebody should buy a beater boat cheap off craigslist and let this guy fix it up on his own dime so he can have his weekend. Then you can sell the fixed up boat for a profit.

By the way, if you have an ocean front place I can use for free I'll clean it really good and maybe install some new cabinet pulls.
ottos likes this.
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0w0rries View Post
Maybe somebody should buy a beater boat cheap off craigslist and let this guy fix it up on his own dime so he can have his weekend. Then you can sell the fixed up boat for a profit.

By the way, if you have an ocean front place I can use for free I'll clean it really good and maybe install some new cabinet pulls.
This is actually what I ended up doing! Even though its the naysayers that always respond (which is fine, they wouldn't be naysayers if people like me weren't around to give them something to nay about!) I got a lot of positive feedback from sailboat owners who were looking for a little extra capital.

What ended up happening was that I found a boat that had been sitting in a marina for eight years (a 34' irwin) spent a few weeks fixing her up, used her for the trip, and sold it. So happy ending... except the bachelor was sick for the whole trip! Oh well, it might give him some foreshadowing of what marriage can be like.

Now I've found a Catalina 27 that I'm looking forward to making a home away from home.
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 11-12-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

Good for you !!

Any pictures..??
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Good for you !!

Any pictures..??

Yes I have pictures but I need 10 posts to post them... So this makes nine...
Old 11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Good for you !!

Any pictures..??
And here's ten...