Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DRFerron

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012

chookiesadventure is on a distinguished road
sailing r/t Annapolis-New Rochelle, Ny

Without boring you with details, I'll be in the Annapolis/Baltimore area Sept 15ish and have a wedding to go to in New Rochelle 9/23. My lady and I would like to sail there and back.

Are there boat owners in the area that wouldn't mind taking 2 px wanting to learn more about sailing and living aboard, r/t? Where and how do I find them? I'm currently living in Colorado. We'll pay our fair share and pull our weight.

How long is this trip and what are your experiences in the area?

Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2012

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing r/t Annapolis-New Rochelle, Ny

Have you thought about contacting a sailing school?
Old 05-18-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I don't think this is a great plan if someone is depending on you being at that wedding. Weather and a number of other variables may prevent leaving Annapolis in time to get you to NY. Lightning probably won't strike twice, but it was around that time last year when we had a hurricane followed by a tropical storm followed by an earthquake.

Best to just go to the wedding and leave the offshore sail training to another trip where you aren't dependent on a schedule. I'm with SoOkay. If you want to learn how to sail, take sailing lessons. American Sailing Association has plenty of schools around the country.

It's a cool idea, though, just not practical IMHO.
chef2sail and travlineasy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 05-19-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2012

Thanks for that! Had definitely considered the weather problem and have a backup plan for that.

Re a sailing school, we are taking classes all summer! We are hoping to move aboard next fall but want to get real experience doing it, and doing more than day sailing.
Old 05-18-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

What DR said.

"We'll pay our fair share and pull our weight." Considering the tight schedule and the question of paying your fair share if you need to cancel because of weather--but the boat still needs to make that trip--I think you're putting unrealisitic constraints on it. Book a charter with a captain if you want to do it that way, and expect to pay go-no-go.

Better to keep the cruising separate from other time constraints, especially if you're looking to ride along, rather than so a straight charter.
Old 05-19-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

That time of year, most boats that do so are moving south. I think there's probably a good chance that you could hitch a ride from the NYC area headed toward Annapolis.
Around 9/23. Many southbound sailors time their trip to coincide with the Annapolis boat show, which begins on Oct. 4th this year.

City Island would be a likely place for you to be able to hop on a southbound vessel. Many boats moving south also end up waiting for a weather window to transit the NJ coast in The Atlantic Highlands ( NJ) . There's a fast ferry from lower manhattan that will take you there.

Odds are that there will be fewer boats moving north. I would guess that if you modify your plan to look for a one way trip south you'd be more successful. Or, at least two separate trips. You might get lucky.

It's probably too early to get any commitments, I'd check back in early sept, when people are beginning to move their boats.

It's unlikely that any one boat would be doing a R/T that time of year.
Old 05-19-2012

Thanks again all for the tips! I have a few contacts in the Annapolis area, I'll see what I can drum up. The one-way south idea is definitely an option. The wedding I'm going to is actually at a yacht club in New Rochelle. Couldn't get any more convenient than that.

Fair winds!