Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeDiver

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012
hydroholic

Sail The World is on a distinguished road
Addicted to Sailing...

Hi

i sailed for the first time last year. been out a few times this year so far. i absolutely love it. can't get enough. can't stop thinking about sailing. dreaming about sailing... i just want to sail all the time... no working no anything just a boat and fresh seafood LOL... but in reality work takes up my life.

i just have an urge to get faster and faster, i learned to sail crewing on a friend's boat in a racing series late last year and we are racing again already this year... I want to be the fastest boat there is no better feeling than passing a competing yacht while ridiculously heeled over

does anyone else have that "problem"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2012

justflie is on a distinguished road
Re: Addicted to Sailing...

I'm obsessed as well. Taking my US sailing learn to sail course this weekend (started yesterday). Here we go!
Old 05-19-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail The World View Post
Hi

i sailed for the first time last year. been out a few times this year so far. i absolutely love it. can't get enough. can't stop thinking about sailing. dreaming about sailing... i just want to sail all the time... no working no anything just a boat and fresh seafood LOL... but in reality work takes up my life.

i just have an urge to get faster and faster, i learned to sail crewing on a friend's boat in a racing series late last year and we are racing again already this year... I want to be the fastest boat there is no better feeling than passing a competing yacht while ridiculously heeled over

does anyone else have that "problem"?
I'm here, aren't I? Always looking forward to the next sail. Racing has helped a lot because it guarantees that I'll get out at leas once a week and won't have to drive my family nuts by forcing them out on the water so often. The ultimate stress relief. Can't beat it. And you never stop learning -- at least I think so.
Old 05-19-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Yeah....I had never set foot on a boat until a buddy invited me to hang out. I bought it weeks later. Now I sail 3 times a week minimum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

LOL....

I grew up in a powerboat family....always at the lake, skiing, tubing, fishing, weekends at the lake house. Never, ever considered sailing.

Last year, Feb '11....a friend invited me to go sailing on his beautiful Catalina 36, 2005 model. After about an hour of explaining how things worked and why....and me pulling sheets, he finally put me behind the wheel. As I stood there, controlling this magnificent vessel, heeled slightly over, seeing the wind ahead and steering into it to take advantage of the puff, then falling off for the prevailing.....it hit me like a friggan TON OF BRICKS! I could do this forever. There's nothing else I want to do on the water anymore. Where has this been all my life?

Yeah, it bit me wicked hard. A month later I shook hands with a guy and became the owner of a Catalina 25. It's been just over a year now, and it's changed my recreational life.

I've found sailing is much like golf. Anyone can hit a ball down the fairway and eventually get it in the hole. Anyone can raise canvas and catch the wind. To do either one well....that's a whole other thing all together. Sailing well is like golfing well....it's a battle within yourself, and with yourself.
CBinRI likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 05-20-2012

nemier is on a distinguished road

I am totally obsessed with sailing.
I think I actually have a problem, like some form of autism. After 10 years of sailing and two sailboats later, I bought a powerboat to try the other side. I admit I love that too, but after 5 years of power-boating I have come to realize that (personally) nothing compares with sailing. I love the feelings of harnessing the energy, the absolute sense of freedom and the wonderful simplicity.
My powerboat is for sale... & I'm hanging around here again...
Old 05-20-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

Well, yes and no. I've never felt any need to go faster or to pass another boat. I guess that is similar to how much I care about my bowling scores (very little). However, in terms of sailing itself, I like it a lot. I didn't get interested in sailing until I was more than 35 years old. However, I just knew I would like it. I went sailing and I did like it. It came very naturally to me. Since then I have worked to get a boat of my own. I can't really imagine not wanting to sail and I have several goals now related to sailing such as crossing Lake Erie and sailing along the Outer Banks.
Old 05-20-2012

justflie is on a distinguished road

Just got my US Sailing basic keelboat certification today with my wife. We're on our way!
Old 05-21-2012

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

It's a beautifull bug.

Every year we upgrade our 43ft Jeanneau to make her more versatile. Last year were bow thrusters. This year solar panels, larger Agm batteries. Will be replacing incandescent lighting systems with LEDs later this year.

Maybe this year, but probably next will come the dinghy on Davis.

And either this winter, or maybe the next we'll keep her in the water and split the time between charleston and NJ. Do that split for a few years and maybe then charleston key west for a few more.

I don't know if I'll sail far from my home, but I love to plan it and I just might, next year our oldest is finishing high school.

A lightning strike caused serious damage but that is now under control, and we are back, dreaming, enjoying, preparing, and come Saturday ...sailing.