SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   HAM Radio Exam.....prep? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87599-ham-radio-exam-prep.html)

Cruiser2B 05-20-2012 07:04 AM

HAM Radio Exam.....prep?

I am looking into getting my Ham Radio General license. I will be studying for the next 3-6 months. I plan to take the test at the end of the year. I was wondering how long you all studied and what training material and sources you used to prepare. I have a backround in electronics, both navigation and HF comms with the navy.

Thanks SN

Wappoo 05-20-2012 07:25 AM

Re: HAM Radio Exam.....prep?

Suggest you get the latest editions of the tech and general manual and study those with great emphasis on the sample test questions...that should do it....good luck

bgeddes 05-20-2012 08:31 AM

If you already know the electronics, just focus on the test questions. Online tests at Eham.com or QRZ.com are a good review.

davidus 05-20-2012 10:41 AM

I did my exams few years ago. You have nothing to worry about.

I ordered the ARRL study books from ARRL website and read all of them (I wanted to go all the way and get the extra class license) over the course of two weeks. The most difficult part was the Morse code, but you don't have that requirement now. I went from no class to extra class in one day (you pass the tests sequentially - technician, general, extra). If I did it, anyone can...

The exam is multiple choice so if you are fairly familiar with electrical engineering (and you will learn everything you need from those study books), you will be fine. Rest (like the FCC rules) is just either common sense or memorization of handful of laws/rules.

Good luck!

Chiquita 05-20-2012 10:57 AM

Cruiser 2 B ! Good morning sir. There are 3 classifications of licensing. Technician, General and then Extra being the highest. If you have a background then this should be much easier for you. If you are cruising then you really are going to need SSB. Not selling anything but I studied with the Gordon West CD set. He also has a book that goes along with the CD's. There are 4 for the Tech class. If you listen to them and follow the book you can be ready in 2 weeks. The General class is the ticket you need for SSB. This is a little more in depth but very informative also. Once you reach a comfortable level of studying, you can go to a website called QRZ to take as many tests as you like for free. This is the best way to see how you are doing. When you start scoring 85 or higher, then your ready to test. There is another thread in the forums that goes into much more detail. With your HAM license you will be able to do sooo much to include receive all your weather and wind faxes to your laptop. It is an amazing hobby. Here is the website I was talking about.
QRZ.COM
Take care !!
Don
N4MDX

krs2fer 05-20-2012 01:59 PM

You could try this.

www.hamradiolicenseexam.com

It's what a lot of hams use to get their license.

Good Luck to you.... 73's

Cruiser2B 10-13-2012 03:30 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Passed Tech license today, take General in December. Looking for a rig now. I will buy a ham radio for now and then buy a marine unit when I eventually start cruising. I like the idea of the low power DX type stuff. I will then have both units aboard. I will get my call sign I guess in a few weeks.

Thank all for your input

kd3pc 10-13-2012 04:17 PM

congrats on your new license, I am a long time ham, and have recently added a Flex 1500 as my primary rig, it is software designed radio and requires a computer...but it does digital modes so easily and is an awesome radio for the price.

again congrats

Cruiser2B 12-21-2012 10:33 PM

Passed General tonight, Now a General class operator(temporary AG):D . Looking at putting an IC 706MIIG unit on boat for now, it will be my base station as well. When we get closer to cruising I will put a M802 or similar onboard.

Thanks Everyone,

BTW, I think i did so bad on the Extra the grading VE thought he had the wrong answer key!!!:laugher:laugher:laugher. I hope to have my extra by mid summer.

windward54 12-22-2012 10:40 AM

Congrats on passing your General! We'll be listening for you on the air.