Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012

RavenKing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RavenKing
Naming a boat Busted Flush after the Travis McGee series

So I am in the processing of buying my first sailboat. After doing the ground work on insurance, dock rental...etc my mind finally turned to a proper name for the boat. I have become a huge fan of the Travis Mcgee series by John MacDonald in the last couple of years. The series is an older one, the last book published mid 80's(i think 84 or 85). Its set in florida, and travis lives on a houseboat. I know thats not a sailboat, but motor boats and sailboats feature in several of the stories. I was surprised to find that on a search of coast guard records only four boats were named after his house boat, Busted Flush. I was shocked, because from my understanding this was a hugely popular series back in the 60's and 70's. Any body got any thoughts about the lack of homage to the series? Maybe time hasn't been kind to the series by the reading public? Anybody else out there love or have read the series? Also, what is the protocol for naming a boat, for example there is already a boat named the busted flush here in NC, but its a motor boat. Would it be rude or uncouth to name my boat the same? Just curious, got too much time on my hands today.
Thanks,

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong forum couldn't decide where to post exactly
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Re: Naming a boat Busted Flush after the Travis McGee series

Busted Flush was a house boat, so maybe that's why the go-fast crowd wouldn't much use the name? I would have at least expected a couple of plumbers to pick up on the name. Some popular boat names are a dime a dozen. There are lots of boat-naming and re-naming ceremonies that people can pick up for fun; having a libation for Neptune and a "sailing virgin" (first timer) on board are part of the fun.
Old 05-20-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

Well, my guess would be that the name would sound to many people like a reference to a toilet (with its negative connotation). I assume that the name actually refers to a poker hand.

However, I got the biggest kick out of this because I did the same search and there are indeed 4 boats with that name. So, I tried the name that I recently thought of for my 20' boat and there are zero boats with that name. Then I tried the name I thought I might use if I got a bigger boat someday and there were zero boats with that name. So, I tried an earlier name and got zero boats with that name. I can't believe I picked three names less common than Busted Flush.

For comparison, the name Bobbin is registered to 11 boats.
Wave Dancer is registered to 71 boats.
Wind Dancer is registered to 124.

Last edited by brehm62; 05-20-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I say go for it. That dude scored more than Valentino.

Of course, you will have to drink Boodles and look good without a shirt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-20-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Fun to look at is the Boat US lists of top ten boat names, going back 20 years

( BoatUS Boat Graphics )
Old 05-20-2012
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Travis McGee lived on a "52-foot barge-type houseboat dubbed The Busted Flush (after the poker hand, in memory of the game enabling him to win it), docked at Slip F-18 at Bahia Mar Marina, Fort Lauderdale, Florida."

As to the infrequency of names - we live in Canada and our boat Mystery is a "Registered vessel" (Documented Vessel). And, in Canada, there can only be one boat of any Registered name in all of the country - so, all boats of Canadian registry are unique to that name.

PS - I have read all of John D. MacDonald's works and loved them all. (Of course - I am much older than you!)

Rik
Old 05-20-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Raven, can you steer me to where you searched for boat names? I am considering naming my boat and would like to see if any of my ideas have been used yet.

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-20-2012

RavenKing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RavenKing

I can do the gin drinking. I have some plymouth gin in fact at the house as we speak, however like mcgee I lament that it is indeed bottled here. It does taste different in the UK. Thats a cool bit of knowledge Rikhall, I did not know that. I was sorta of hoping that if i named the boat The Busted Flush, the scoring like valentino would come with it lol. No I dont look good without a shirt, too many scars from past life adventures. I look like james bond would really look after all those movies. Lol!

Minnow, here's the link
Office of Science and Technology
Old 05-20-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I'd only name a boat usted lushif indeed won it in a poker game. Bought any other way, i'd feel i was dishonoring the name.

Which is probably why you find so many Mexicans named Jesus, and very few Italians of the same name. Culture gap.

FWIW, there's a Fort Lauderdale author and liveabord named Christine Kling who has five books up on Kindle right now. Many folks think she's been guided by the spirit of McDonald, there's a lot of Travis Mcgee to be reminded of, in a contemporary setting.
Old 05-20-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Sooo..?

You don't have the boat yet, your just trying to get "dibbs" on a cool name...?