Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
For serious cruising I wouldn't own anything other than a hard bottom inflatable, unless I had the room to carry a solid boat. After 8 years down island our RIB's bottom had been so abused it looked like someone had drug it down the road behind a pickup, but it just kept running long after an inflatable floor would have died. We actually started with a soft bottom, and ripped a unreparable gash in it six months into the voyage. Something about a coral finger as we pulled it up on the beach.

I would also really recommend getting as large an engine as you can. You won't be anchoring near most dive sites, and while it is nice to think you won't mind the slow trip to them, when those trips are over even remotely open water a fast dinghy is a safety issue as well, since getting back before storm break can be critical. It also means you will be much more likely to take dives since it changes a Day trip to a couple of hours. Finally in the event that you need to use the dinghy as a tow boat, which we had to do a number of times, a larger engine will make a world of difference.

Finally carry the biggest boat you possibly can. While island cruising they are often the only way to get water, provisions, fuel, people, parts, ect onto your boat. A small dingy that requires multiple trips makes all of these thing much more difficult. I remember having to reprovision 250 gallons of water, and 100 gallons of fuel by dinghy. As is it took us all day, in a smaller dinghy it could have taken 3 days easily.
Agree completely.

I would love to hear from anyone that has actually gone cruising that would reccomend a HPIB. I suspect if there are any, they are few and far between.

Tom Neale (All in the Same Boat) even said to get a hard dinghy, RIB in the least. I have found most of his adivce right on target.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I wanted to add one more thing...

While cruising a dinghy is not just a way to get you back and forth to the boat, that is the least difficult of its jobs. Dinghys are work vehicles, pressed into service as everything from a resuply vessel, to a work platform, dive boat, gear retrieval system (stuff floating away), a taxi, a pickup truck, and anything else you can think of. They need to be strong durable, stable, and have the power to move people plus gear with ease.

Just as an example, when we were in Bonaire, friends and family would routinely fly in to meet us. This would mean at least 3 people plus two peoples luggage would have to make the 3 mile trip from the dock to the anchorage. If your dinghy can't do that and keep things dry, it won't work long term.

As for HPIB's, I have one on my power boat. It works fine with a 6hp on it. Kinda slow but it will get you to the dock and back. But the floor is not really rigid, and keeping it filled is a daily problem. For weekending around its fine, and doesn't weight anything, but for serious cruising... No way.

Finally carry a sea kayak, or small sailboat, we did and had a blast on it. But that doesn't make it a dinghy.
Old 05-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Yet another example of Sailnet thread "needs inflation."
The OP starts off with a simple premise, by the second page he is getting reccommendations that far exceed his needs, with dire warnings that his original premise will be a complete failure.

Seriously, lots of folks cruise with dinghies without hard bottoms, and do just fine. Who the hell cares about planing in a get-to-shore dinghy and dive platform?
an RIB is at least twice the cost of a hard floor inflatable of the same length, and weighs twice as much, requiring a bigger O/B, and they are very nice, but require davits (more $$$) and the benefit is?
They plane and handle coral better.
Hell, one could sacrifice a soft bottom inflatable to coral every year and still be money ahead three years later.

Somewhere along the way , the original spec of "Normally 2, max 4" occupants got extrapolated into needing to accomodate 4 regularly.

Our 6.5' (yep, it is real short) inflatable regularly carries two unlight adults, a hyperactive dog and 10 gallons of water comfortably, easily propelled by a 2 hp OB. Yeah, the boat doesn't plane. So what? neither does my sailboat.

Old 05-22-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I've owned several types of dinghy and messed about in many other's small craft. Despite all their advantages and popularity I HATE inflatables because when the motor dies you can NOT row them home unless it is the most favorable of conditions.

I don't think people talk about this failing enough, but I can tell you that when you can't paddle against 1.5-2kts of current and you find yourself getting swept out to sea and away from your boat, it makes you think.

I really like the looks of the Kaboat. I've also liked the looks of the portaboat though it's one of the few craft I've never used I would take note of how fanatical the owners of them are. Most all of them LOVE the boat. I've also seen them rowing well.

We had a lot of conflicting needs, but we ended up with the best compromise we could find. We wanted stable (for small kids), rowable, sailable, able to mount a small OB and most of all abusable. We also were attracted to the "proactive liferaft" component of our choice, the Portland Pudgy.

We love it! (they're not cheap new, but they pop up on craigslist for a few hundred dollars pretty often)

Portland Pudgy safety dinghy, inflatable boat, or fiberglass dinghy?

MedSailor
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 05-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I cruised for two years with a dug out canoe and a paddle I made with a machette. I cruised all ove C.A. with an old wind surf board and a kayak paddle I made out of a plastic trash can lid and a closet pole. I've cruised with a hard bottom inflatable and 15 horse engine. I built a plywood dinghy in Venezuala when some French dude stole my Fancy hard bottom. I swam in and out when I had nothing. You'll alway's find a way and there is alway's a better way. I've eaten caviar with royalty and dumpster dived with hippies in Mexico. I want the best working, fastest skiff/ dinghy that will carry Grandma, the kids and a dog just as much as the next guy, but, engines break. deflatables deflate, my arms get sore from rowing. The wind is alway's against ya, there's water in the sh#$ty gas you bought in Belize, so on and so fourth. I've never been NOT able to get out to my boat. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

^^^^ this guy is the gulf version of Brent Swain.

Old 05-23-2012

GrahamO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Yet another example of Sailnet thread "needs inflation."
The OP starts off with a simple premise, by the second page he is getting reccommendations that far exceed his needs, with dire warnings that his original premise will be a complete failure.

Seriously, lots of folks cruise with dinghies without hard bottoms, and do just fine. Who the hell cares about planing in a get-to-shore dinghy and dive platform?
an RIB is at least twice the cost of a hard floor inflatable of the same length, and weighs twice as much, requiring a bigger O/B, and they are very nice, but require davits (more $$$) and the benefit is?
They plane and handle coral better.
Hell, one could sacrifice a soft bottom inflatable to coral every year and still be money ahead three years later.

Somewhere along the way , the original spec of "Normally 2, max 4" occupants got extrapolated into needing to accomodate 4 regularly.

Our 6.5' (yep, it is real short) inflatable regularly carries two unlight adults, a hyperactive dog and 10 gallons of water comfortably, easily propelled by a 2 hp OB. Yeah, the boat doesn't plane. So what? neither does my sailboat.
Thanks Brian,
I must admit I was starting to spin on this one.... Anyway, all input adds something to the body of knowledge. There are some Surprisingly light RIB's that I was not aware of (at a price....).
I think we are going to start off with a Walmart tub and work it out after some time on the boat. We will know what will or will not fit the foredeck and what we can comfortably lift by then.
Old 05-23-2012

Thumbs up Re: Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense? THANKS

Thanks everyone for the input. There are some interesting ideas here.

Given that it appears to be one of the trickier decisions we are going to get on the boat and think about it for a while. We are a couple of years away from long distance cruising (got to pay for the darned thing first...) so we have some time to sort this out - and we have LOTS of kayaks.....

Thanks again
Old 05-23-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

If you're serious about cruising get the biggest Hypalon RIB you can afford and at, at a minimum, a 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha.

Old 05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you're serious about cruising get the biggest Hypalon RIB you can afford and at, at a minimum, a 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha.
Vasco,
That is all well and good. I enjoy fast inflatables and prefer RIBs and buy into many of the practicality issues

BUT

Where do you stow it when underway?
How do you get it on and off the boat without getting (another) hernia?
Come to think of it where do you get a 2 Stroke Yamaha?

Last edited by GrahamO; 05-23-2012 at 11:43 AM.