Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Re: Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Let my kids drive. You'll have a patch!

Are you keeping your boat in the Bahamas or FTL?

Brian
Boat gets hauled in FL. Here she is with the sunshade on ready for storage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I bought a new HP air floor Achilles a couple of years back. I wouldn't do it again. All the sand and grit from the beach ends up around the edges of the floor and just grind away at the floor and the tubes, and the whole boat needs re-inflating every couple of days. I see a RIB in my future, love the stability of an inflatable. Sure wish they still sold 2-strokes here, one of these days mine (8 hp bought used) is going to die and I don't want a 4 stroke.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I bought a new HP air floor Achilles a couple of years back. I wouldn't do it again. All the sand and grit from the beach ends up around the edges of the floor and just grind away at the floor and the tubes, and the whole boat needs re-inflating every couple of days. I see a RIB in my future, love the stability of an inflatable. Sure wish they still sold 2-strokes here, one of these days mine (8 hp bought used) is going to die and I don't want a 4 stroke.
Hey John,

I have heard there's a nice boat on the hard in Florida with a like-new tender (no patches) and a 15hp yamaha. I am sure the current owner wouldn't mind if you traded him!!

Just kidding of course.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-23-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
It is not meant to start a internet argument,
And it didn't. CD, we can disagree, and it won't become a pissing match, at least from this side. I appreciate the points you made, and can see your point of view. You've BTDT and discovered what works for you. Me, I'm still not sold on a RIB, but that's me-

Old 05-25-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

As for me..I'm not sold on any particular kind of dinghy...but hard dinghys have alot to offer IMHO.I think they all have their pros and cons though....Myself..I needed a dinghy and ran across this one a few years back for $125 with oars included on craigslist....needless to say I bought it and it's been through alot with me...nothing that a little fiberglass repair couldn't fix...I lost this boat in a storm in Cedar Key...was missing for three days...5 hp Tohatsu was still on her when I found it by the airport...she broke off a cleat in a midnight storm.
I added some teak slats for the seat (and some weight) but it rows really well...I row facing forward these days...using the rowlocks that most folks only use when setting an anchor. This way I can see each oncoming wave and adjust the angle of the little 8-footer with my weight and slide between or up and down waves,etc as needed to make way into chop a little easier...each wave is different...I can plane with my 4.5 hp Johnson but I have to add weight forward to keep the nose down (usually water jugs,anchor and some chain in the bow compartment). Even with the weight forward you are still leaning back uncomfortably in your seat so I may add a removable plastic "bucket" seat to help me counter that and support my back when planing. And since my mothership has only 4 1/2 draft..I am never so far from shore that I need alot of speed it seems...so I usually putter along at 6-7 knots off plane. She holds whatever you can stack in her and If I ever make or buy a sail rig...well..she's ready for it. I know this topic has been about RIBS,and so forth but I for one like the durability of a hard dinghy...to each his own...
Attached Thumbnails
Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?-003.jpg   Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?-006.jpg  

Last edited by souljour2000; 05-25-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2012

Woodvet is on a distinguished road

I'm not a fan of Kayaks, they have humiliated me more than once. I own a couple of Archilles though and along with my kayaks -one that's inflatable, they are all still around. Made of Hypalon (sic) they last longer. I have had the task of saving a Cape Dory on a reef off Belize once. That Archilles was so impressed I keep her at the ready with motor when I am traveling in hazard.
That said, I am guessing with a pointed bow the Kaboat is less stable for pushing the big boys but looks great for getting through surf or making way through high seas.
And then again I have a friend who still has his rigid GRP hull and he has pointed out to me how great it is as a wash machine /bathtub / butcher block and so on. Like all questions to do with boats there is always something more to be said.
Old 05-25-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

CD-hmm, uh, which yard did you say it was in, and is it locked up???

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-25-2012

grandcapri is on a distinguished road
Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

Once witnessed a couple in west marine agonizing over how the dingy ladder was inflatible, I couldn't stand it any longer and went over and explained the ladder was not inflatible, it was to be used with an inflatible... I bought some bumpers and left the store.
Old 05-25-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

bumpers?..You mean fenders!...But alot of us like bumpers too...
Old 06-28-2012

GrahamO is on a distinguished road

So - crunch time. We need a dink pretty soon and we are still not completely clear. The Bristol is tricky for on-deck storage. There is only 5' 6" between the mast and the traveller and storing foreward of the mast will cover the V berth hatch which is the only fire escape. This makes a hard dink problematic. We tried a Porta-bote but were not thrilled with stability or build quality. Where we are now is a SMALL aluminum RIB. Probably the AB8. This only needs a small OB. For Maine sailing we would either leave it on the mooring or tow it. Once we head south it would be davits for island hopping or deflated on deck for passage making.
Does this approach make sense? Amy i missing anything obvious? There really are no perfect solutions are there?

Thanks
TQA likes this.