Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012

GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

What a great idea! I just happen to have one of those gathering dust in the basement. I will dig it out. Where on earth do you buy a 'winch bit'?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2012

Wappoo is on a distinguished road
Re: Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

Winch bits used to be advertised in the back of several of the sailing mags...Cruising World, etc.
Old 06-29-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wappoo View Post
Here is a suggestion for the weight ting....get a Milwaukee right angle drill with a winch bit....we call ours the 'teenager'...can send any average size man to the top of the mast, immediately 'electrophizes' (sp?) every winch on your boat...check e-Bay and be sure to get the newest model..the older ones came with NiCads but could be changed over to NiMH...as we get older we need every bit of help we can find...
Another option for those like me who like to keep it simple, is to configure a 2:1 spinnaker halyard run through a ratchet block at the base of the mast, instead... This arrangement will soon prove its utility in a variety of ways, not the least of which can be as a MOB hoisting device, always at the ready...

With a 2:1 halyard, I can easily manage to get my tender back on deck by myself... Proponents of much larger dinghies might have difficulty doing so, and I'm a big believer in the notion that most essential tasks aboard a typical Mom & Pop cruising boat (reefing, anchoring, dinghy and engine deployment and retrieval, and so on) should be able to be managed by either crewmember, unassisted either by their partner, or the flow of electrons... But, hey, that's just me, and relatively few cruisers I see out there today subscribe to such a notion... (grin)

I also think you really want a setup in place that allows you to easily hoist your tender clear of the water at night, or when not in use... In some places this will be done for security, but it's always a good idea anyway, certainly keeps the bottom cleaner. Again, with a 2:1 halyard, I can hoist my tender with engine and all the usual gear it carries unassisted, something I doubt many of us could easily manage alone with the sort of much larger, heavier overall boat and motor package that some are advocating...
blowinstink likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-29-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-29-2012

Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

Jon,
That pretty much sums up our philosophy. Our goal is that, to the extent possible, either of us should be able to handle any requirement of cruising (although I suspect maintaining the engine will be a special case.....). We have talked this over a lot and concluded that the loss of some dinghy luxury is a price we are willing to pay.

Graham
Old 07-10-2012

So.....
Nothing stays the same for long. We have managed to locate a mooring 'near' home but it is a fair run over a tidal river so that narrow our choices. Where we are at the moment is an Achilles HB-270FX with a Tohatsu 6hp outboard.

Comments, warnings, experience very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Damn, a hard dinghy weighing 130 lbs empty, you're a far braver (not to mention stronger) man than I... (grin)

Just curious, how do you stow that thing aboard?

Davits while coastal, and cabintop under the main boom when offshore. Since 95% of time on even a circumnavigation will still be coastal cruising, it lives on davits most of the time and the weight isn't an issue. We also hoist it on the davits every night, so it doesn't bump the hull and wake us and so that we're ready to go if we need/want to. Having easy to use davits is a really nice luxury that took me quite a while to get right (I was too cheap to have some built by someone else)

Also, we NEVER tow a dinghy, too many bad experiences on my previous boat.

We bought ours used from a friend who was getting out of boating. Saves us the price (and stowage space) of an inflatable life raft and I feel much safer if we ever did have to use it. It's also pretty fun to sail...

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Another option for those like me who like to keep it simple, is to configure a 2:1 spinnaker halyard run through a ratchet block at the base of the mast, instead... This arrangement will soon prove its utility in a variety of ways, not the least of which can be as a MOB hoisting device, always at the ready...
This sounds like a great idea, but I honestly can't picture it. In order to create a 2:1 system one of the pulleys has to be free to move closer to the other (fixed) one. If you've got a pulley at the top of the mast, and a pulley fixed at the base of the mast, you don't have any purchase at all, instead you've just created friction by running your lines through more pulleys.

If the bottom pulley moves, then it will be going up the mast away from you and won't be easy to continue to pull on right?

What am I missing?

MedSailor

Old 07-10-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
This sounds like a great idea, but I honestly can't picture it. In order to create a 2:1 system one of the pulleys has to be free to move closer to the other (fixed) one. If you've got a pulley at the top of the mast, and a pulley fixed at the base of the mast, you don't have any purchase at all, instead you've just created friction by running your lines through more pulleys.

If the bottom pulley moves, then it will be going up the mast away from you and won't be easy to continue to pull on right?

What am I missing?

MedSailor
Here's a pic of the halyard shackle (the "end" of the halyard, in effect) stowed at deck level, hope this helps...

Fixed on the spinnaker crane at the masthead, is a similar block with a becket... The halyard runs from that becket, down to the block pictured with the shackle, back up to the masthead, then down to the ratchet at the base of the mast...

Primary rationale for having a 2:1 halyard is to be able to sufficiently tension the halyard for use with a Code 0... But, as mentioned, once in place, such a halyard has a LOT of other very useful applications...
Old 07-11-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Here's a pic of the halyard shackle (the "end" of the halyard, in effect) stowed at deck level, hope this helps...

Fixed on the spinnaker crane at the masthead, is a similar block with a becket... The halyard runs from that becket, down to the block pictured with the shackle, back up to the masthead, then down to the ratchet at the base of the mast...

Primary rationale for having a 2:1 halyard is to be able to sufficiently tension the halyard for use with a Code 0... But, as mentioned, once in place, such a halyard has a LOT of other very useful applications...
Yes that does help! Me likey..... Me likey very much.....

So the rope goes from the masthead block becket (spliced I presume) down the the block in the photo, then back up to the pulley part of the block at the masthead and then back down to the deck yes?

Is the ratcheting block you speak of the one on the masthead crane or the one at deck level?

Since it's all external, how to you keep it from banging against the mast?

I've never used a ratcheting block myself. Do they make it possible to hoist a wet person aboard with only 2:1 purchase without taking it to a winch?

Thanks!
MedSailor

Old 07-11-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
So.....
Nothing stays the same for long. We have managed to locate a mooring 'near' home but it is a fair run over a tidal river so that narrow our choices. Where we are at the moment is an Achilles HB-270FX with a Tohatsu 6hp outboard.

Comments, warnings, experience very much appreciated.

Thanks
I like this tender better only because it can take a larger motor. At that weight and legth, you will plan out with a 6. I know that because I had a 10'2 HPIB Avon (still do) and a Mercury 6 hp 4 stroke that would plane.

I would not buy the 6hp motor. If I am not mistaken, it is exactly the same 4 stroke that is in the Mercury. I think Taihatsu builds all the 4 strokes for all the manufacturers (except Honda) under 15hp.... at least that is my understanding and excuse me if I am wrong.

THe Mercury 6hp 4 stroke has ben very unreliable to us. It is rebuilt EVERY year, sometimes twice. It does not perform well even when running. The 8 is a better choice... or better than that, start shopping for a 2 stroke. You will get a lot more bang for the buck and a engine that is a lot lighter. Since weight is your primary concern, that makes sense. I would also put the largest 2 stroke allowed (8 in your example). Worst case scenario, you don't use the full 8. Better to have it and not need it, etc.

All in all, I like your choice. I really like that aluminum one too (AB). We almost got that instead of the Walker Bay Genesis.

Brian

PS Maybe you would not have the same issues with the 6 as we did. Just giving our experiences.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: