Crossing the gulf and things you forgot to bring aboard - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: Crossing the gulf and things you forgot to bring aboard

I didn't see binoculars, and spotlight on the list, both handy when going into unfamilar port, especially at night.
Bene505 and Capt.aaron like this.
Old 05-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Get ya some rubber boots. I never go off shore with out them any more. Never stub my toe, feet alway's warm and dry, Alway's sure footed. I like the west marine blue ones. I'm usually the only one with them on deliveries and guy's make fun of me the first day.( they look funny with shorts on) and I get a funny tan line. But on the third day when their athleats foot has salt in it and they've stubbed their sore toe for the second time, they wish they were me. And paper F@#$k'n towels, you can not have too many, and baby powder. And lots of rubbing alcohol for grimy salty face and deisel hands that you've now picked your nose with. And Cheese ravioli in the can, great cold out of the can when your on watch and quells queezines.
Classic post! Haha!

I went Pensacola to Fort Myers Beach a little while back. I do not know when you are leaving, but we were freezing out butts off. This was December-January.

And be prepared fopr the odd storm or squall offshore. If you are prone to sea sickness, take appropriate meds. I use Scope but it does not work on everyone...

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I am a big for on gatorade too especially for sea sickness. Cook several meals bfore you leave and put in the fridge to pull out and quickly heat up to eat. I get REALLY hungry offshore and hate cooking anything down below underway.

Brian
Capt.aaron likes this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-23-2012

06HarleyUltra is on a distinguished road

RUM!!!!

Fair winds, Smooth sailing.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 05-23-2012

gathhill is on a distinguished road
I didn't see "lots of toilet paper" ?
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 05-23-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Check battery sizes for every portable device. Usually double and triple A's maybe d and c
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 05-23-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I would concur with those that said to bring some ready to eat foods. If you run into any rough weather, the last thing you want to do, or have energy to do is cook.

On longer passages, I've added anti-biotics and pain meds to my 1st aid kit along with some sutures for large gashes, and betadine for infection, and some silvadene for burns. Never had to use em, but ya never know.
Old 06-13-2012
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road

I would like to thank all who participated in this thread. Your information was very useful.

The crossing went well, Only thing we missed is...

A guy forgot to turn off the water pressure one night after a shower, didn't notice that one of the tap of the shower would spin freely and not turn off the hot water anymore, basically it remained open, but unnoticed because there's an "on/off" button on the shower head. We were on our last tank of water and it was full, we had just switched. Was fine we were only 1 day and a half from destination. During some rough weather the showerhead fell on the shower floor, murphy's law made it that it felt directly on its on/off button. The whole water tank ended up in the shower sump and bilge. Nobody heard the pump working cause of the rough weather. (We got 10 footers in the Yucatan channel). We arrived home, in a big need of a shower and a pile of unwashed dishes.

Here's a video of a family of dolphins who followed us for a while near the Cuban coast.

Couple of pics of the boat I purchased.

Sold: 1982 Catalina 25 (Polaris)

Last edited by Guero; 06-13-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 06-13-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Guero-
"We were on our last tank of water and it was full, we had just switched. "
If I may suggest, when you have at least two tanks of anything, the safest way to use them is to use only 1/2 of the first tank, then switch to #2. Now you use #2 up, but you've still got half of the first tank in reserve--instead of having one tank empty and zero reserve.

There are lots of oil platforms and other often unlit obstructions in parts of the Gulf, so you may want the night watch to keep especially alert, and of course to use sunglasses during the day in order to improve night vision.
Old 06-13-2012
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Guero-
"We were on our last tank of water and it was full, we had just switched. "
If I may suggest, when you have at least two tanks of anything, the safest way to use them is to use only 1/2 of the first tank, then switch to #2. Now you use #2 up, but you've still got half of the first tank in reserve--instead of having one tank empty and zero reserve.

There are lots of oil platforms and other often unlit obstructions in parts of the Gulf, so you may want the night watch to keep especially alert, and of course to use sunglasses during the day in order to improve night vision.
Excellent suggesiton about switching water tanks. We had 3. (port, starboard, aft).

We had 2 radars, one at nav station and one at helm, so night navigation was fairly safe and always had two people in cockpit during night shifts, always used sunglasses during the day.

All went well, except for this small water incident. We could have refilled water near holbox next day but decided just to go home as quick as we could.

The hunter handled the fairly rough weather pretty well, was fast with the proper reefs and was very dry inside. I quite enjoyed "on-the-fly" main reefing (main is roller) and I'm quite happy with the performance compromise for the ease of handling. Was comfortable overall, if not for that water issue caused by human error.
Sold: 1982 Catalina 25 (Polaris)

Tags
crossing mexico gulf