SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Crossing the gulf and things you forgot to bring aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87680-crossing-gulf-things-you-forgot-bring-aboard.html)

Guero 05-22-2012 03:54 PM

Crossing the gulf and things you forgot to bring aboard

Hey All!

Canadian expat currently living in Mexico, Recently purchased a 2002 Hunter 410, we had it prepared and moved to Keywest. I'm going to cross the gulf and bring it to Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico next week.

I'm pretty well prepared (Well I think I am), but I'm usually a coastal cruising guy.

I was wondering, when going offshore for a few days, are there things you wished you bring but totally forgot? I've my list prepared but was just wondering if you guys with experience wish they had bring something they never thought before leaving for a crossing.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and experiences.

ps: sorry for english mistakes not first language.

captainrizzo 05-22-2012 04:35 PM

Re: Crossing the gulf and things you forgot to bring aboard

Guero, if you really need help, you should post your list. Then folks can chime in as to what you are forgetting.

CapnBilll 05-22-2012 04:44 PM

There was a neccessities list on another post that I though was pretty comprehensive.

I agree with the above though; post a list we'll vett it.

Sunscreen swimsuit, beer, snorkle gear, usual boating safety,and navigation gear, water, cookware. I think that about covers it.

Oh wait Mexico, water purification tablets, antacid.

Guero 05-22-2012 05:30 PM

Sorry, here's a quick list i've in mind, I still have to review it with my crew so obviously stuff will be added, but would appreciate input.

Security:

Inspection/service:

Boat surveyed by experienced surveyor
Rigging inspected by Rigger
Sails inspected, still crispy, fine, but we donít have spares
Engine serviced
Life raft inspected/serviced

Safety Equipment:

Life Raft
VHF Radio
EPIRB
KVH3 (Tracphone) with Internet and Sat phone for weather updates and calls
Extra Diesel calculated in tanks outside, to last if no sails were used, including generator use. Calculated for 4 days on moderate cruising RPM and generator use.
Safety vests
Life Sling
Spare Engine Filters, Pumps, Belts
Quality pocket knifes for crew
Huge Cutters (in case of dismasting, might be over the top but you never know)
Sun screen, lots of, even tho boat has bimini and dodger.
Lot of watered bottles
Quality First Aid Kits
Sea sickness meds, Anti-acidics, Pepto Bismol
The Annapolis Book of Seamanship Book
Tool kits (for engine, mast, rigging etc)
Fire extengishers
Backup Portable VHF
Safety flotating sealed bag (you know the yellow one) with all the important stuff in it (VHF, water, passports, etc)
Raining cloth
Torch lights
Battery Led Lights

Commodities
Fridge
Freezer
Inverter
Stove
Generator
A/C
Microwave Oven
Auto-Pilot
2 Chartplotters with Radar (1 inside, one in cockpit) and Carribean Maps
Fishing poles
Lotsa beer
Dhingy + 6 HP mercury

Iíve left personal goodies and food out of the list.

Capt.aaron 05-22-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainrizzo (Post 874128)
Guero, if you really need help, you should post your list. Then folks can chime in as to what you are forgetting.

Captainrizzo is right, I sail that area a lot and sail back and forth between key West and Isla Mujeres often. Happy to chime in on gear and routes. I've been carrying one of those SPOT things over the past few years. If your new to off shore you might rent a sat phone for the trip just in case, god forbid,.... ya know.
I've been happy more than once that I had a back up hand held g.p.s.
As long as you have something good to get into if the unthinkable happens and a good ditch kit you'll be all right.
Written before list was posted.

DRFerron 05-22-2012 05:37 PM

Did I miss seeing foul weather gear or is that "raining cloth"?

Stumble 05-22-2012 05:38 PM

I would also add a spare thermometer, a couple of impellers, assorted sized of hose clamps, splicing kit, whipping twine, and a 200' piece of 1/4" dyneema line.

Nothing crazy, but the dyneema can be made to stand duty as everything from shackles (look up soft shackles), to a spare halyard, standing rigging, steering cable, sheets, ect... Since it can replace almost everything on the boat it is a pretty good emergency spare no matter what goes wrong.

Guero 05-22-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 874150)
Did I miss seeing foul weather gear or is that "raining cloth"?

I'm sorry, yes I meant Foul weather gear. I'm one of these little pesky french Canadians, didn't master Shakespeare's language yet, apologies, and thanks :)

Guero 05-22-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 874151)
I would also add a spare thermometer, a couple of impellers, assorted sized of hose clamps, splicing kit, whipping twine, and a 200' piece of 1/4" dyneema line.

Nothing crazy, but the dyneema can be made to stand duty as everything from shackles (look up soft shackles), to a spare halyard, standing rigging, steering cable, sheets, ect... Since it can replace almost everything on the boat it is a pretty good emergency spare no matter what goes wrong.

Great idea, thanks a lot, this can indeed be very useful, adding to the list.

Capt.aaron 05-22-2012 05:48 PM

Get ya some rubber boots. I never go off shore with out them any more. Never stub my toe, feet alway's warm and dry, Alway's sure footed. I like the west marine blue ones. I'm usually the only one with them on deliveries and guy's make fun of me the first day.( they look funny with shorts on) and I get a funny tan line. But on the third day when their athleats foot has salt in it and they've stubbed their sore toe for the second time, they wish they were me. And paper F@#$k'n towels, you can not have too many, and baby powder. And lots of rubbing alcohol for grimy salty face and deisel hands that you've now picked your nose with. And Cheese ravioli in the can, great cold out of the can when your on watch and quells queezines.