Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012

GufShoz is on a distinguished road
Lightening struck

My Hunter 29.5 was struck by lightening 2 days ago. She's still afloat, so I guess that's the good news. I'm trying to determine what my next step should be and it seems that the concensus opinion is that the boat must be hauled to properly assess the damages. Any advice from anyone experienced with this type of incident is greatly appreciated.
Gufshoz
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightening struck

If it was a direct strike the boat should be hauled. Check with your insurance company. There may be damage that is not immediately apparent. All wiring should be checked, especially that in the mast. Through hulls should be looked at. Every system on the boat checked. When I was hit it took six months to get everything back to scratch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2012

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Check electrics and electronics. If the boat was near to a docking check that side for damages. Small holes and cracks is a possibility.
Old 05-23-2012

Willis is on a distinguished road

My experience was similar to Vasco's, roughly six months to identify and repair all the damage. As long as the boat isn't taking on water, I would wait for your insurance company to respond. You may not get reimbursed for work you initiate that they haven't approved yet.

Trust me, I know you are anxious. I was the same way, but when my insurance company did get around to assigning an adjuster/surveyor everything went smoothly and they did take good care of the boat. The boat was hauled and thoroughly inspected. The mast was pulled and inspected along with the standing rigging. Pretty much all of the electronics and lighting were replaced. I missed the better part of a season, but the boat was in tip top shape when I got her back. I still get a knot in my stomach though every time a storm rolls through.
Old 05-23-2012

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

Willis and Vasco are giving you good advice. Our 43ft Jeanneau took a direct hit and that's exactly how it played out. Resign to the fact that this could take a while (Our boat was hit on memorial day 2 years ago, we didn't go back into the water till I think September)

Once the boat is up on land, the insurance company should send their surveyor out to inspect the boat. Otherwise they won't cover repairs. And I agree that unfortunately with electronics it could take a while to really see the damage. But in our case almost everything ended up getting replaced, GPS, charger, inverter, autopilot, etc.

Ultimately your time on land will depend on the extent of the damages, but contact your insurance co and let them take the lead on what to do. They probably will tell you not to have any work done till their guy can do a survey.
Old 05-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I agree with the info given above. Only think Ii will add is that we took a side strike and the issues with electronics did not immediately appear.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-23-2012

fsp421 is on a distinguished road

So sorry, same happened to our B381 in Mattituck last year. On the way out east for vacation.
Call insurance co asap.
We had policy with Boat US, they had appraiser out next day. The process of appraisal and repairs took weeks though.
Best of luck