SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Key Largo to Bimini to Berry Islands (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87710-key-largo-bimini-berry-islands.html)

BreakAwayFL 05-23-2012 12:41 PM

Key Largo to Bimini to Berry Islands

EDIT - I'm an idiot, my charts were in meters, don't want to waste anyone's time with this post :-P

Hello all, I'm planning a Bimini trip in September, and I was thinking about extending it to the Berrys.

I have done some reading online, and have seen several people saying things similar to this:

Quote:

cross and get on the Great Bahama Bank at North Rock, then on to NW Channel light and then on to the Berrys.
... and several similar statements.

I am reading this as saying that there is a way to cross the Great Bahamas Bank with my boat (3'9" draft), but the charts I have don't seem to support this. If I went by my charts alone they would seem to indicate that I have to go AROUND the GBB on the North side.

Am I missing something? Cutting some miles on this leg would be great, if the way exists...

Vasco 05-23-2012 12:56 PM

Re: Key Largo to Bimini to Berry Islands

Yes you must be missing something. No problem with 8 foot draft following the usual route I take. North Rock, Mackie Shoal, NW Shoal, NW Channel Light then on to Chubb or Frazers Hog Cay in the Berrys.

Capt.aaron 05-23-2012 01:45 PM

You'll have no problem, done it many times with deeper draft than that. Check your chart on the bottom and see what the soundings are in, it's probably meter's. It's usually written in pink bold letters.

BreakAwayFL 05-23-2012 02:16 PM

Well I'm ecstatic. I just came back from West Marine, and I looked at several of their charts and noticed discrepancies there as well. I determined.....

...that I'm an idiot.

My digital charts go from soundings in feet to soundings in meters halfway across the crossing, and both of my paper charts maps for the Bahamas turn out to be in meters as well.

Nav 101 = FAIL

On the plus side, this is FANTASTIC news for our voyage!!!

Capt.aaron 05-23-2012 02:35 PM

Happens to all of us. The only ones who don't make mistakes like that are the ones who don't go out there. You're not an idiot.

Cruisingdad 05-23-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.aaron (Post 874660)
Happens to all of us. The only ones who don't make mistakes like that are the ones who don't go out there. You're not an idiot.

I thought the same thing! Uh, no, uh-uh, nope, I've never, ever done that one... err (gulp). The trick is to never come back to your thread and admit it!!

HAHA! Just kidding.

Good on you for living up to it!

Brian