Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Running Lines To The Cockpit....need some advice and ideas?

Here is a pic of the boat as it is now, with the exception of the Vang thats attached to the mast and boom. I want to possibly make things easy on myself and run some lines to the cockpit. Currently my traveler lines, jib sheets and mainsheet are all that go to the cockpit. My mainsheet comes right over the companionway. I don't really like that as I plan on mounting instruments over the companionway and the mainsheet would wrap around them and I can just see an accidental gybe and my instruments are ripped off the boat and into the ocean. So I thought, why not route the mainsheet to one side, then maybe route the vang as well to the side. so both can be adjusted pretty easily. Then I thought, why not the main halyard back to the winch next to the companionway thats never used? That hay I can raise the sail from the cockpit. If I raise it and need to add more tension to it...no prob...grab the winch handle and give t more tension...all from the cockpit. The only thing I would think I would need is maybe rope clutches? That would secure all those lines pretty well. Does this sound reasonable? Is there any reason NOT to do these things? Also can someone point me in the right direction on how to re-route the main sheet back down the boom and down the mast to the deck? In addition to the vang that is there...I'll also have a boomkicker setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Running Lines To The Cockpit....need some advice and ideas?

The traveler mount that you have may need some modifications (read cut outs) to do this, but it isn't particularly hard. Just flip the blocks you currently have upside down, and where the cam cleat is take it off. Run the line to the gooseneck, then down to the deck.

You will probably need to add a deck organizer between about half way between the mast and the traveler to turn all the lines into the cut out in the traveler mount (those holes you cut out), then to a row of rope clutches just in front of the cabin top winch. You can run as many lines to the winch as you like, but any more than 5 gets very crowded on the winch. If you want to bring more back than that do the same thing on the other side.
Old 05-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

On our boat everything is led to the cockpit including reefing lines and centerboard line.

All the halyards ( main, jib, spare jib and spinaker) are lead to the mast base which has a collar to which turning blocks are attached.
Garhauer Marine Hardware -4557254

The lines then go through deck organizers
Schaefer Marine Hardware - Product Catalog

and then through spinlock clutches
Spinlock XAS Rope Clutches at Mauri Pro Sailing

Behind the clutches on each side of the combing are two Barient 2 speed self tailing winches on each side followed by 2 European jam cleats on each side
West Marine European Jam Cleat - product summary - Bing Shopping

One STwinch is constantly occupied by the main sheet, the 4 halyards are all stopped by the spinlocks and usually collied and hung, the reef lines similar, the cenetrboard line is in a jam cleat, Vang line is also on a jam cleat as is the outhaul.

Traveler lines are loose on either side lead back through the spinlocks.

Sounds complicated, but actually is pretty neat and tidy.

Dave
HDChopper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-24-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Don't forget backing plates on anything attached to the deck! You will need a longer mainsheet and whatever other lines you run back.
Old 05-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If you have primary AND secondary winches in the cockpit you could consider the 'german' sheeting system, where the mainsheet is double ended and run fwd along the boom, down to the deck edge and back to the cockpit using clutches and/or the 'secondary' winches for control.

If your halyard is on the mast there's not much point in taking your reefing lines to the cockpit.. keep all those lines involved accessible from one location.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-24-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

If your halyard is on the mast there's not much point in taking your reefing lines to the cockpit.. keep all those lines involved accessible from one location.
Absolutely. There will also be less friction on the reefing lines.

I actually prefer reefing at the mast.
Capt.aaron likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-24-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Securing and sealing the new deck hardware to prevent balsa water damage will be key the challenge.

The Cunningham and outhaul are not necessary to bring back to helm. The vang is very useful.

Halyards - possibly

Do you have lazy jacks installed ?
Old 05-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Absolutely. There will also be less friction on the reefing lines.

I actually prefer reefing at the mast.
Every time I get on a boat and all the lines that don't need to be are led to the cockpit, I say AAAGGHHH! Why? It made sense when I would rig a boat for "Shake A Leg" in Miami because the sailors are wheelchair bound. It just turns your cockpit into a cluster f@$#K. There is allready enough with the sheets, and rollerfurl if you have one. Why add fifty feet of main hallyard to an all ready crowded area? I don't think it's easier to raise and lower/ reef a main sail from the cockpit. I find I still have to go up there and help it along and un-snag stuff. To each there own, but I never suggest it when asked.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 05-24-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Every time I get on a boat and all the lines that don't need to be are led to the cockpit, I say AAAGGHHH! Why? It made sense when I would rig a boat for "Shake A Leg" in Miami because the sailors are wheelchair bound. It just turns your cockpit into a cluster f@$#K. There is allready enough with the sheets, and rollerfurl if you have one. Why add fifty feet of main hallyard to an all ready crowded area? I don't think it's easier to raise and lower/ reef a main sail from the cockpit. I find I still have to go up there and help it along and un-snag stuff. To each there own, but I never suggest it when asked.

Yes...I know! Thats why I am asking for opinions and options...I single hand the boat now quite easily. Raising and lowering the main can get a tad bit hectic, but nothing at all I can't handle. I just see some newer boats with everything run aft. I'm wondering if its easier, or just different.

Old 05-24-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to decide how to organize stuff on my boat too. My old boat had the main halyard run to the cockpit. I found I could easly single hand the boat w/o any tiller controller. On my new (old) boat, the halyards are at the mast. I will be setting up a tiller pilot, so I am going to leave the halyards at the mast for now.