Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Raising main going downwind

Harken batt car system. It's expensive, but works like a charm. As long as the sail isn't pressed against the shrouds you can quite easily reef or pull it up while off the wind.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Harken batt car system. It's expensive, but works like a charm. As long as the sail isn't pressed against the shrouds you can quite easily reef or pull it up while off the wind.
That's what I was going to say. I just priced one for my new Hall Spar. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$
I've decided to keep on turning into the wind!!! I want that system wicked bad though! I've sailed boats with that system and it's dreamy.
Old 05-24-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The Columbia 50' I sail on has it, and we actually have to keep a wrap on the halyard when lowering to keep it from free falling down. Just for the fun of it we timed how long it would take to free fall... About 4 seconds with no load on the halyard when pointing into the wind. Of course that led to us having to rehoist the sail to put it away....
Old 05-24-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
What about if your engine won't start and you have to raise the main in a breeze but can't motor into the wind?
Anchor.
dacap06 and Capt.aaron like this.
Old 05-24-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Re how to raise the main, well, how do you shake out a reef under sail? It's the same maneuver. Helmsman close-reaches with the jib, you get enough way on to move the apparent wind forward a little more. This should allow the main to luff completely when eased and not drag on the shrouds. then heave away on the halyard. If it works to unreef, it should work to raise from zero too.
Old 05-24-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
OK, we all know to turn into the wind to raise the main or drop it.
However, sometimes I am too lazy to turn into th wind and I go up on cabin top and pull it up while someone else winches it up. CRAZY. Why in 2012 do we still have to do this. Why not have sail slides that cannot jam when the sail has tension on it? Is it just that the cross section of the slot in the mast is wrong? Do Gaff rigs with their hoops around the mast have this problem?
As others have said you can raise a mainsail on other points of sail than pointing straight into the wind. In fact, whenever I sail out of my slip, or am single-handing I do it pretty routinely. Typically, I am between a close reach and a beam reach. But that said, it is way easier to raise the mainsail when pointing straight into the wind since the sail does not drag on the rigging and risk catching a batten in the shrouds. In light to moderate air, and on not too big a boat, you can even raise the mainsail dead downwind if you have someone to hold the leech of the sail to keep the battens from getting caught on the life lines and rigging.

The problem with raising a gaff mainsail dead downwind is not all that much different except on a gaff rig, you are scraping the varnish off of the gaff instead of merely dragging a batten along the shrouds.

Jeff
Classic30 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 05-24-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Most boats with just a tiny bit of main up (no jib) will automatically point into the wind allowing you to then hoist the main all the way. I want to not only hoist it on any point of sail but to drop it completely on any point of sail.
Old 05-25-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Your too lazy to turn the wheel so the boat points into the wind, but your willing to struggle with the raising of your mainsail, because of your aforementioned laziness.
What?
msmith10 likes this.
Old 05-25-2012

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Re how to raise the main, well, how do you shake out a reef under sail? It's the same maneuver. Helmsman close-reaches with the jib, you get enough way on to move the apparent wind forward a little more. This should allow the main to luff completely when eased and not drag on the shrouds. then heave away on the halyard. If it works to unreef, it should work to raise from zero too.
That's my usual procedure to raise the main or take in/shake out a reef.
Old 05-25-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
OK, we all know to turn into the wind to raise the main or drop it.
However, sometimes I am too lazy to turn into th wind and I go up on cabin top and pull it up while someone else winches it up. CRAZY. Why in 2012 do we still have to do this. ...
1) Don't be lazy.

2) If you want to avoid messing with sails (and lines, and masts, et cetera, et cetera) and all their associated hassles, get a motorboat. Sailing, pretty much by definition, does not avail itself of all the modern conveniences. If we did, we wouldn't bother trying to harness the wind rather than just motoring.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt