Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: The Chicken or the Eggs?

Welcome to the world of sailing. What's the chance of befriending another sailor/boater and putting in time on OP's boats while you are saving and planning for your own ?

My college roommate introduced me to sailing, many years ago and I sailed with him on his boats for years, before I finally purchased my own. At times, when I was in between boats; once it was as long as 10 years. I probably sailed more on other peoples boats; Racing in club races one night a week, daysailing on weekends on another boat, long distance cruising as Mate/ crew at other times on another. In many ways, it was the best of all worlds. I got to sail a variety of boats and had little or no expense or worries of ownership, other than some occasional sweat equity; and I learned from a number of sources, soaking everything in.

The Coast Guard will require you to document your time, and there is a recency requirement, usually 90 days in the last three years. So, if you do spend time on other peoples boats, you want to get them to sign off for you on the coast guard's time sheet. Obtaining and documenting the sea time is often the most difficult part of obtaining the license.

In the off time, I read everything I could get my hands on regarding boating and sailing. The technical stuff can get a little tiring at times, and then you can pick up the great stories and accounts. Joshua Slocum, Chichester, Dana. And newer titles like Fatal Storm, At the Mercy of the Sea, Close to the Wind.

The middle of winter, when the ground is covered in snow, is a great time to take a course or read a good book to keep the passion alive, and bide the time until you're out there sailing on your own vessel.

Good luck on your journey..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012

Me Tarzan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Gimme a location, I'll find you your boat in 5 minutes.
I am in the DFW area. Considering a Renkin 18. Can't seem to find a couple specs that are important to me such as max height on the trailer from ground to bow sprit, or mast or... Also would like to know the length of the mast when not stepped. HOPING to be able to garage this baby. If I can't find a garagable boat then that opens up a whole nuther can of worms...

1984 Renken Sailboat - 18'

RENKIN 18 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 05-25-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

store the mast outside the garage. Most trailer sailors under 22' will be garageable, heightwise, on a trailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2012

Back in 5 min with a boat for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Welcome to the world of sailing. What's the chance of befriending another sailor/boater and putting in time on OP's boats while you are saving and planning for your own ?

My college roommate introduced me to sailing, many years ago and I sailed with him on his boats for years, before I finally purchased my own. At times, when I was in between boats; once it was as long as 10 years. I probably sailed more on other peoples boats; Racing in club races one night a week, daysailing on weekends on another boat, long distance cruising as Mate/ crew at other times on another. In many ways, it was the best of all worlds. I got to sail a variety of boats and had little or no expense or worries of ownership, other than some occasional sweat equity; and I learned from a number of sources, soaking everything in.

The Coast Guard will require you to document your time, and there is a recency requirement, usually 90 days in the last three years. So, if you do spend time on other peoples boats, you want to get them to sign off for you on the coast guard's time sheet. Obtaining and documenting the sea time is often the most difficult part of obtaining the license.

In the off time, I read everything I could get my hands on regarding boating and sailing. The technical stuff can get a little tiring at times, and then you can pick up the great stories and accounts. Joshua Slocum, Chichester, Dana. And newer titles like Fatal Storm, At the Mercy of the Sea, Close to the Wind.

The middle of winter, when the ground is covered in snow, is a great time to take a course or read a good book to keep the passion alive, and bide the time until you're out there sailing on your own vessel.

Good luck on your journey..
I did a little deck handing back in the 90's. Helped sail a classic wooden sloop from Mission Bay to San Diego Bay, pulled it out for a bottom job, stayed on boat, then sailed her back and no engine. Was fun but really want to be in CONTROL now. Have a long lost buddy who delivers yachts worldwide, but the guy is too hardcore (drinker and sailor) for me to want to contact. I guess I have some anxiety issues and want to be able to make my own choices. Somehow I feel sailing will help rid me of these problems.
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Back in 5 min with a boat for you.
Sounds great. What do you think about the Renkin? I like the shoal draft, not swing-keel and the decent ballast for trailering to local lakes.
Old 05-25-2012

Cape Cod Catboat, Rockport, Texas, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas, yacht for sale

Vagabond Weekender, 17', 1981, Volente, Texas, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas

1972 Shock Sailboat 21 ft with trailer

(Project) 81 hunter sail boat reduced!!22 ft

24' Sail Boat for sale - must sell
Me Tarzan likes this.

Old 05-25-2012

I'm not a fan of the Renken, considering what you want to do with the boat. It makes a Siren look spacious, and the deck design is not conducive to quickly going forward if necessary.

Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the Renken, considering what you want to do with the boat. It makes a Siren look spacious, and the deck design is not conducive to quickly going forward if necessary.
OK. Thanks for input and the links. Speaking of Siren I found one a couple weeks ago that needed a little sprucing up, waiting for price to drop... Any opinion on the Shock? I was considering looking at that very boat. Wouldn't mind a weekend trip to Rockport to check out the Cape Cod and the scene their too.
Old 05-25-2012

I'd be more interested in the "Prim Rose 24" in Farmersville. It is actually a Venture 24,

Venture 24 sailboat for sale
a pretty decent boat with good resale, decent room, a poptop and the price is attractive.