Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012

Me Tarzan is on a distinguished road
Re: The Chicken or the Eggs?

Would MUCH prefer a 25-30' ship but the problem is that there is not one lake around here I would like to keep it on, and $300 month slip is absurd to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The Venture 24 is a trailerable, no tougher to rig than an 18-20' renken or whatever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
The Venture 24 is a trailerable, no tougher to rig than an 18-20' renken or whatever.
Storage is a big issue for me.

Been reading good things about the Vagabond 17.

Thanks again,
Ron
Old 05-25-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

If I took the mast off the deck, I could (almost) fit my Catalina 22 into a very small 2 car garage. It still helped to be able to back most of the way into the garage to work on the boat. If you can find another place to park the boat, then that would open up lots of other possibilities for boats in the same price range.

BTW, I had the same problem with buying stuff that I didn't really need yet, even AFTER I bought the boat. Kind of wishful thinking that I would be sailing far and wide sooner than was reasonable.
Old 05-25-2012

Barquito is right (btw, that tag sounds like the name for the sound a chihuahua makes- "ees not really a bark, ee ees small, eet ees more a barquito.")
Take garageability out of the equation. You buy a boat that is too small and you may not enjoy sailing because it is cramped and slow and you have to move stuff around to move other stufdf around and you give up, or...
You find you really like sailing but want more speed and more room and more, so now you throw garageability to the wind anyway.

Setting storage aside, what do you really want your new boat to do? What is important to you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2012

Other than being able to keep in garage, I just want something semi-stable in semi-rough conditions. Something that I can explore the local lakes on while gaining experience and looking for the lake I like most, and hopefully find a reasonably priced place to store the next, bigger boat at. Something that I can sell for near what I paid in a year or two. THEN I will be searching for a single-hander in the 30' range.
Old 05-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Tarzan View Post
While in the process of downsizing, selling, saving I am finding it hard to keep my eye on the chicken and not the eggs. I have an urge to outfit a boat before I even acquire one. Electronics are easy to avoid at this point (except for a redundant GPS I got for a steal). I mean items like first aid kit, flares, clothing, solar/wind power etc... The boat I purchase will be used and could come with some of the goodies already. I will be trailer sailing the local lakes for the next 1-2 years, then possibly upgrading to a wet storage lake boat around 30 feet for another year or two. Then hopefully heading for the coast with some experience under my belt. Hope to be racking up the hours and studying for 6-Pack along the way. I think I just want to feel involved in boating even though at the moment I have no boat. Anyone else fall into this trap? Would you consider it a sign of commitment or a waste of chicken capitol at this point?
It's a waste, except for the dreams it provides. Electronics will be outdated before you get THE boat. As you point out, the boat will, or may, come with lots or all of what you buy.

Look at it this way - would you buy a set of tires on spec for a car you haven't even bought yet?

Spend your time walking the docks & boatyards instead of the Chandlers - it's cheaper and provides just as much fodder for dreams.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-25-2012
Wannabe

dmcMaine is on a distinguished road

As someone who is shopping right now myself, I'd agree with a waste of capital. What you're most likely to do is buy up a bunch of stuff you won't need, and then have a list of other stuff the boat you eventually buy does need.

I like the suggestions to buy books instead. Seamanship, factual accounts, and even fiction.

Is storing the boat in your garage an actual requirement? Or would on the driveway/next to the garage work just as well? It affects what you end up with.

I'd also recommend this book:
Amazon.com: The Complete Trailer Sailor: How to Buy, Equip, and Handle Small Cruising Sailboats (9780071472586): Brian Gilbert: Books Amazon.com: The Complete Trailer Sailor: How to Buy, Equip, and Handle Small Cruising Sailboats (9780071472586): Brian Gilbert: Books

The best thing I can say is don't be in a hurry, or try to force anything. The right boat will turn up. Hehe...the first lesson of sailing, take what nature gives you.
Old 05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcMaine View Post
As someone who is shopping right now myself, I'd agree with a waste of capital. What you're most likely to do is buy up a bunch of stuff you won't need, and then have a list of other stuff the boat you eventually buy does need.

I like the suggestions to buy books instead. Seamanship, factual accounts, and even fiction.

Is storing the boat in your garage an actual requirement? Or would on the driveway/next to the garage work just as well? It affects what you end up with.

I'd also recommend this book: Amazon.com: The Complete Trailer Sailor: How to Buy, Equip, and Handle Small Cruising Sailboats (9780071472586): Brian Gilbert: Books

The best thing I can say is don't be in a hurry, or try to force anything. The right boat will turn up. Hehe...the first lesson of sailing, take what nature gives you.
Going to order a few books this evening and that will be one. Thanks. As for the garage thing it is pretty much a must. Neighborhood rules and the incline of my driveway prevent other possibilities. I figure what I can afford this go around will need work also. Unless I find a reasonable dry storage marina with a boat that needs little work then garage it must be.
Old 05-25-2012

What is your max boat budget?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.