SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The Chicken or the Eggs? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/87785-chicken-eggs.html)

Me Tarzan 05-25-2012 08:43 AM

The Chicken or the Eggs?

While in the process of downsizing, selling, saving I am finding it hard to keep my eye on the chicken and not the eggs. I have an urge to outfit a boat before I even acquire one. Electronics are easy to avoid at this point (except for a redundant GPS I got for a steal). I mean items like first aid kit, flares, clothing, solar/wind power etc... The boat I purchase will be used and could come with some of the goodies already. I will be trailer sailing the local lakes for the next 1-2 years, then possibly upgrading to a wet storage lake boat around 30 feet for another year or two. Then hopefully heading for the coast with some experience under my belt. Hope to be racking up the hours and studying for 6-Pack along the way. I think I just want to feel involved in boating even though at the moment I have no boat. Anyone else fall into this trap? Would you consider it a sign of commitment or a waste of chicken capitol at this point?

wingNwing 05-25-2012 08:47 AM

Re: The Chicken or the Eggs?

I think you've answered your own question, logically, you don't know what your next boat is going to come with, or what you'll want. Spend your money on books and lessons now if you must feel involved. Or better yet, take Coast Guard courses (free or nominal cost) and put that money into your cruising/boat-buying kitty!

Geor71 05-25-2012 08:55 AM

The Chicken or the Eggs?

Certainly a waste of chicken capital. Like you, I too was an overly ambitious want to be boat owner. I purchased a few goodies base on an ideal image I had in my head.

In the end thee boat I purchased had mostly higher end toys than the ones I bought and needed capital for more mundane items new plumbing in the head.

You know what they say about hindsight! Just be patient, your time will come,and so will the bills, I mean joys of ownership.

Me Tarzan 05-25-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingNwing (Post 875457)
I think you've answered your own question, logically, you don't know what your next boat is going to come with, or what you'll want. Spend your money on books and lessons now if you must feel involved. Or better yet, take Coast Guard courses (free or nominal cost) and put that money into your cruising/boat-buying kitty!

Yah I think you are right. I guess it helps to work things out by writing them out... Have been trying to study the cryptic CG website and some of the hokey flashcards. Learned a little but I think progress would be much faster with an actual book in hand, or taking courses. Been many years since I sailed but done plenty of small powered pleasure boating. I must admit I am guilty of really not knowing much when it comes to maritime law. I can't believe there is no mandatory test to get a general boating license. Around age 14-15 I would take to the bay solo in a powerboat to go fishing. Always felt like I was breaking the law. Wasn't too crowded out there and I understood the channel markers. Later in life I find I want to know what every combination of lights, flags, dayshapes, etc. stands for. The toughest challenge in my equation is trying to keep everything fun and interesting for the wife. She says she wants to cruise "one day" but doesn't really understand the level of work (which I call fun!) involved. Selling off most of my valuable belongings and toys should be a clue that "one day" is coming. haha!

Me Tarzan 05-25-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geor71 (Post 875461)
Certainly a waste of chicken capital. Like you, I too was an overly ambitious want to be boat owner. I purchased a few goodies base on an ideal image I had in my head.

In the end thee boat I purchased had mostly higher end toys than the ones I bought and needed capital for more mundane items new plumbing in the head.

You know what they say about hindsight! Just be patient, your time will come,and so will the bills, I mean joys of ownership.

Thanks for the reinforcement. You know the feeling, the feeling like you are spinning your wheels, wasting time. The best way for me to be involved now is to study for CG test, and research a nice used boat. Sold boat last summer and just going a bit crazy!

Trailblazer 05-25-2012 09:24 AM

Pick up a copy of Chapmans and study, study, study. A current copy is always a welcome addition to any boat and will help curb your urge to spend money on a future boat.

bljones 05-25-2012 09:32 AM

You need to buy a boat...quick.

Me Tarzan 05-25-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailblazer (Post 875477)
Pick up a copy of Chapmans and study, study, study. A current copy is always a welcome addition to any boat and will help curb your urge to spend money on a future boat.

Will do! And Rockport/Port Lavaca is my planned home in 5 years or less, neighbor.

Me Tarzan 05-25-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 875479)
You need to buy a boat...quick.

I'm looking hard! A trailer sailer that fits in garage, easy to step, simple rigging, towable behind jeep, overnightable, not TOO tender, is hard to come by in these parts!

bljones 05-25-2012 10:44 AM

Gimme a location, I'll find you your boat in 5 minutes.