Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012

glassdad is on a distinguished road
Inflatable Kayak

I am looking for an inflatable kayak. I will be using it on flat water mostly but some ocean use. I have a 10 foot sit inside kayak for use in the harbor but I would like something I can leave in the car and head up to the lake after work. I go to the Channel Islands and Catalina and would like to use it there too. I am an intermediate level kayaker.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I would like to pay around $500.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2012

Ozark_Lakes is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable Kayak

Bass Pro has a pretty nice one for just under $500 "Sevylor® Colorado Hunting and Fishing Canoe" (says canoe but is more like a kayak). I think they also have a single-seat version for less.

If I were you I would just buy a good roof rack and stick to your real kayak. They're not as convenient as you would think. It takes time to inflate them and when you're done using it, you have to let the air out and try to stuff a wet and sandy inflatable kayak back into it's carrying case.

Plus there WILL always be that time you'll have your battery-operated air pump that will run out of juice half way inflated... then you'll just want to burn it all out of sheer frustration.
RobGallagher and Faster like this.
Old 05-27-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I like the roof rack idea too... we've paddled in groups with sit-ins mixed with inflatables and the inflatable paddlers were done in long before the sit-ins.. way more energy goes into motion with hard kayaks.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

We carry 3 westmarine Skedaddle inflatable kayaks on our boat and we love them! They are compact enough to stow in a locker, and very stable. As I sit on the doc typing this, a couple of kids who have never paddled before are having a blast in them! Don't expect to go treking in them, or take on rough weather, but they are perfect for exploring peaceful shorelines and tributaries. The best part? They only cost $200 each! They are made by a company caler Advanced Elements. They also mare so make one with a tube frame that is closer to a sea kayak in handling.
Old 05-27-2012
I've mislaid my Kraken!

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

That BassPro is indeed a canoe, it has no deck. Open top = canoe. Closed deck with a hole to insert the occupant = kayak. Sityaks are an abortion on their own that should never be called a "kayak".

Glass, you may find that all of the inexpensive inflateable kayaks are really intended more for lakes and flat waters. From what I'm repeatedly told, none of them will track like the real thing, until you start getting into the expensive territory and the ones where you assemble a frame and pull the skin over it. (Packable, not inflateable.)

Advantage, roof rack.

REI, BassPro, a lot of the chains should have "demo days" when you can actually try them out on the water. And then the demos are often sold at a discount after being used only a few times.
Old 05-27-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
...... They are made by a company caler Advanced Elements..
That company also makes the best solar showers we've ever had!! Available at the Deep Cove kayak shop

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

We contemplated hard or inflatable and eventually went hard. Reality is the deck space it takes up is less of a problem than junking up the lazarette or cockpit locker. Inflating the thing would be a bore and if I guess rightly it would probably end up being left on deck inflated.

Translate that to car transport and the same probably applies though inflating it using heavy duty pump and the car battery would make life easier. I think I'd rather have a kayak permanently strapped to the roof than a boot permanently full of the same.

"Said Hamlet to Ophelia, I'll draw a sketch of thee.
What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?” Spike Milligan
Old 05-27-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Our kayaks take about 10 minutes to inflate with a foot pump. No big deal at all. They package up into neat rectangular carrying cases with shoulder straps, and weigh very little.

They have a small skeg that helps them track a bit straighter, but they are more like a river kayak than a sea kayak. They are extremely stable; I am a big guy and I really have to throw my weight around to capsize one. Because the inflatable cells are inside a rubber and canvas skin they are more rigid than you expect, although you do feel them flex a bit going over waves. The bottoms are very durable and have stood up to a fair amount of scrapes over barnacles and rocky beaches over the 4 years we have had them.

This is my son and a friend in them this weekend.
Old 05-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Schock,
I must admit they look pretty good. How are they for an adult ?

"Said Hamlet to Ophelia, I'll draw a sketch of thee.
What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?” Spike Milligan
Old 05-27-2012

glassdad is on a distinguished road

I plan on keeping the hard shell kayak at the harbor for weekend use. The inflatable would live in the car and be for after work use. It is a real pain to take the hard shell home store it in the garage all week, strap it to the car, drive to the lake after work and then find that they closed the lake due to winds! This was last friday. Are there any inflatables that track OK? Not as good as the hard shell, but ok/

Thanks

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.